Fullback and the running game Topic

Thoughts on how much a fullback helps the running game. In your opinion how much does a good fullback bolster the run game. If so, do you recruit a true fullback or a running back with higher FB ratings?
9/2/2017 1:23 PM
I wish otherwise. But I feel the FB is purely cosmetic and doesn't do a damn thing regardless of strength and or blocking. My opinion for what it's worth.
9/2/2017 3:00 PM
When I ran the ND Box I recruited specifically for a FB. I think it made my running game a bit better.

I don't think a FB helps very much in Pro Set though. I am not sure why.
9/2/2017 4:51 PM
Yes, the FB blocks and acts as a modifier to the OL vs. DL/ILB (inside) or OLB/CB (outside) runs. You can find this information in the dev chats for the current version of the engine.

nitros (James)

P.S. I should add that if the FB is not set to "block" then the FB will not modify the OL and will only have influence block down the field depending on where you set the FB as a receiver.
9/2/2017 6:35 PM
Posted by mojolad on 9/2/2017 3:00:00 PM (view original):
I wish otherwise. But I feel the FB is purely cosmetic and doesn't do a damn thing regardless of strength and or blocking. My opinion for what it's worth.
so recruit the prettiest is your advice
9/3/2017 9:33 AM
Bag, others disagree with me. Other good coaches. Not saying I know I'm right. Just a gut feeling from what Ive seen. Truth is I hope Im wrong.
I would however go out and recruit the prettiest cheerleaders !
9/3/2017 3:19 PM
9/3/2017 4:34 PM
I don't recruit a FB. I do train some for BLK with RB's though. I also have a blocking FB selected in my running formations. But most of the time I use that spot for my young RB's to get playing time and starts. Occasionally, deep in the playoffs, I'll put my best true FB's in the depth chart.

I don't have any answers, just thought I'd throw another perspective in there.
9/3/2017 10:24 PM
Curious on the value coaches find in a blocking FB and/or TE in the passing game.

I've run a few tests and it doesn't really hurt the completion pct by not having an extra blocker, but I always feel my QB plays better with the extra blocker.
9/3/2017 11:15 PM
Posted by chetty1963 on 9/3/2017 11:15:00 PM (view original):
Curious on the value coaches find in a blocking FB and/or TE in the passing game.

I've run a few tests and it doesn't really hurt the completion pct by not having an extra blocker, but I always feel my QB plays better with the extra blocker.
Im interested in that too. I've kinda went back and forth between A). thinking having the extra blocker provides more protection (decreasing sacks, scrambles, throw aways) and B). having an extra potential receiver out there to flood the zone, which would help the QB find an open receiver more quickly.
9/3/2017 11:26 PM

Here is the dev chat if anyone is interested.

If the "block" function is unselected on the formation do Tight Ends/Full Backs block on running plays? Same question could be asked of Wide Receivers on any given play. (noah23 - Hall of Famer - 6:11 PM)

Yes. Tight Ends, Full back, and WR will all block. The difference is where their blocking influence will occur. If they are set "isBlocking" they will be added to the offensive line and influence very short and short runs in the middle and to the outside. If they are not blocking they will have blocking influence based on there route specification. For example, if a TE has a 50% chance of running a medium route, a 50% chance of running a short route his influence will be split between those two locations.

Chetty: You will notice the pass protection the most defending against blitzing teams. In fact, if you play blitziscoming you better have both TE and FB in and blocking or it will be a long night at the stadium for your team.

nitros (James)

9/3/2017 11:54 PM
who calls "very short and short" running plays?
9/4/2017 9:11 AM
one yard and no more, boys, or you'll be running stairs for an hour
9/4/2017 9:14 AM
Lol. "One Yard and a Cloud of Dust" !
9/4/2017 6:08 PM
makes me think they ("the developers") chopped the vertical field into five horizontal stripes

timing too, they divide the play into five discrete pulses 1 2 3 4 and 5

so this "isBlocking" only adds a wrinkle behind the scrum and one step past

that's pulse 1 and 2. after that nada

when you read the PBP and they say "O line got a first step" that is phase 1 and it is just a description, it is where the sim is now, it is a core dump, but it don't mean sh*t

cause next they say "somehow that great D Line rumbles on through and bout to smear the Qr" and that don't mean anything either, just a phase 2 description of the current state

we are people and we need a moving picture

the sim provides a pic

but barely. their hollywood is D at best
9/4/2017 8:54 PM
Fullback and the running game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.