Anybody have any thoughts on this? Thinking about trying it with my Washington Huskies team.. I was using a 4-4 ,Nickle package but was thinking about a total 4-4. Any thoughts on how to run this ?
9/5/2017 6:47 PM
If you had some athletic/fast LBs you might be able to get away with it. You'd have to have excellent DBs too. But if you're only playing 3 DBs at a time, you could allocate more recruiting effort/money to make sure you got studs
9/5/2017 10:26 PM
I agree with bigpoppa that you'd need to have some LBs that could fill in as crossover DBs. But seeing how many teams throw to the RBs these days, it would be interesting to see how this would work out. I don't know if many have really tried this.
9/5/2017 10:45 PM
It seems like you'd gain the ability to run an 8 man front and lose the ability to put 8 guys in coverage. Unless you plan to use the 8 man front, the 3-4 would seem to be a better option.
9/6/2017 12:53 PM
I remember way back when deandg used to run 4-4 against everything, including shotgun, and he stopped almost everyone he played. Getting really fast LB's was a big part of it. Of course, that was in an earlier version of the game so not sure if it still works or not.
9/6/2017 1:04 PM
Posted by vhoward415 on 9/6/2017 1:04:00 PM (view original):
I remember way back when deandg used to run 4-4 against everything, including shotgun, and he stopped almost everyone he played. Getting really fast LB's was a big part of it. Of course, that was in an earlier version of the game so not sure if it still works or not.
I welcome everyone to try it.

Should work still, right?
9/6/2017 4:05 PM
Always thinking Gt. :)
Ive thought bout it myself. What stopped me is a large number of coaches still run Trips and I thought trips might be deadly vs the 4-4 .
But there's only way to find out.........
9/6/2017 4:40 PM
I'll jump in, but always defer to the better coaches here...

I have always thought of defenses this way.... If you have two "Hero" or "Monster" style OLBs on your roster (Think Ronnie Lott / Rod Woodson types),
Pos Name A SPD D WE ST STR BLK TKL H GI E T OVR Miles Considering
DB Kenneth Flores 63 85 50 57 42 62 23 83 64 74 87 49 71.0 1067 undecided
LB Jason Spivey 71 80 35 48 41 90 32 90 31 67 90 53 75.4 1422 undecided

There is no real difference between the 3-4 and Dime formation with the exception of WHO these two OLB/ CB3/4 cover in the simulation. Same thing with the 4-3 and Nickel (only one OLB / CB3 though). What I would give to run the "Dime" formation and have CB3/CB4 cover the RB/TE instead of having to fight over Speedy LBs!. Alas, it will probably never be...

These guys can be recruited (Good luck on getting them though given the way recruiting is set up). If the SIM didn;t make such draconian drops in ratings when you switch DBs to LBs (or visa versa) and treated them like tweeners as they should be, the 4-4 would also start to look like the Nickel of today. Until then, I would stay away from the 4-4 only because it offers the least amount of personnel flexibility

The 4-4 works wonders against an offense with only one WR (a.k.a my Wishbone and the ND Box) since you need more LB's to cover the 3RBs/2TEs. Vs Trips , shotgun, pro and I formations, it would be much harder. The 5-2 works well, against most formations (except shotgun), IF you have two Stud Hero types each at LB AND CB.. This is why positional recruiting to fit the scheme combined with FIQ and game planning is paramount to winning. Given the current incarnation of the engine (No/Low QB INTs, 60 touches for a RB, Isolations versus "slow" LBs), running the 4-4 offers the least amount of speed (again, unless you have Heros) on the field to cover the "Air Raid" offenses that are prevalent in all the worlds.

Namaste.

9/8/2017 1:22 PM
dalailama - That is one of the better posts on this forum. +1.

nitros (James)
9/8/2017 5:11 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.