job process data, by a consistent R1 NT loser Topic

Here's the after season 131 update:

I finished 22-8, CT champ, 1st round NT loser. Final RPI 122, final PR 113.

"Keep Looking" increased from 19 after last season to 53 after this season. 20 current C- jobs, 33 current D+ jobs. Best baseline = Temple, Xavier, Arizona State, and Virginia Tech, B.

"Step Backwards?" increased from 47 after last season to 110 after this season. 20 current D+ jobs, 53 D, 37 D-. Best baseline = Rhode Island and Richmond, B-.

Still not listed as "Qualified" or "Longshot" for anything. Seems weird to still have 0 Qualified jobs despite all the other changes, but oh well.

I have submitted one job application.
11/3/2017 8:25 PM
...and I got the job I applied for. The main reason I came back to HD was to coach Loyola Marymount, and now I'm there. I look forward to lots of third place finishes in my division going forward.

LMU is C baseline / D current. South Florida was C- baseline / C- current. My loyalty dropped from A+ to C+ when I moved to LMU. No visible new coach prestige bump this time for me.

I don't expect to change jobs again, but I might still update this thread with my jobs available data just because similar info in the forum archives is so scarce. Thanks for following along.
11/4/2017 10:35 AM
Congrats on getting the Loyola Marymount job. Always nice to see someone land at their destination job.

It's looking like you were right about the 3 NT rule not being firm to jump from D2 to D1. I only have 2 D2 seasons under my belt in Tark with 2 NT appearances (no wins), but I was Qualified for 15 D- D1 jobs and longshot for another 5 or so.
Tark Resume (Eligible for D- jobs after Season 131)

What's interesting, is that with a very similar resume in Phelan, I was not eligible for anything in D1 after 2 D2 seasons, even though I had a D2 NT win in the mix.
Phelan Resume (Eligible for no D1 jobs after Season 105)

This tells me there's more emphasis placed on D3 success than I initially thought, as my 5 D3 seasons in Tark were much better than my 5 in Phelan, and even winning a D2 tourney game in Phelan couldn't put me above where I was in Tark. Not trying to hijack your thread, but I think this comparison adds a lot of insight to where the line is drawn to get a low D1 job. And like you were saying before, there isn't a lot of deep info out there on this process, so hopefully this provides a benchmark for others working their way up.
11/5/2017 3:09 PM
Here's the after season 132 update, following my first season at Loyola Marymount:

I finished 17-11, no special accomplishments. Final RPI 112, final PR 130. My loyalty had improved to B+ for this job cycle.

After 131 I was eligible for 110 "Step Backwards" jobs. After season 132 I was eligible for 0 jobs. Not even a "Keep Looking," every job was Not Qualified.

We're finishing season 133 now. I went 24-7, CT champ, NT first round, RPI 126, final PR 83, current loyalty A. I have no plans to leave Loyola Marymount, but I'm fascinated to see if I'm eligible for anything this time.
12/30/2017 9:36 PM
After season 133:
24-7, CT champ / NT first round, RPI 126, PR 83, loyalty A, end of season prestige D+ -> C
Step Backwards: 124. Keep Looking: 49

After season 134:
13-16, RPI 149, PR 139, loyalty A+, end of season prestige C -> C
Step Backwards: 114. Keep Looking: 60

After season 134 I've applied for the following Keep Looking jobs:
Rutgers (C-): applied 7:57pm 2/1, rejected 2:13am 2/2 (first cycle that applications processed)
Hawaii (D+): applied 10:49am 2/3, rejected 11:04am 2/3
UC Santa Barbara (D+): applied 11:06am 2/3, rejected 2:02pm 2/3
Columbia (D+): applied 2:50pm 2/3, rejected 5:03pm 2/3

My hypothesis is "Keep Looking" has become so unattainable that it's purely cosmetic at this point. These jobs should be marked "Not Qualified." I did this purely out of curiosity, feeling pretty confident my chances at any of these were 0%.
3/3/2018 8:04 PM (edited)
After season 135:
25-5, CT champ / NT first round / CCOY, RPI 55, PR 46, loyalty A+, end of season prestige C -> C+
Step Backwards: 155. Keep Looking: 30

Hawaii is the only Big 6 I'm eligible for. (I was briefly eligible for Texas Tech again, but the guy renewed late and I'm not counting it in anything here.)

But I am eligible for 13 C- current prestige jobs. Up til now D+ has been my ceiling.
3/3/2018 8:04 PM (edited)
After season 136:
26-4, CC / CT champ / NT first round, RPI 27, PR 24, ranked #22, loyalty A+, end of season prestige C+ > B-
Step Backwards: 180. Keep Looking: 15. Not qualified: 12. That's everything.

I'm at "Step Backwards?" for more Big 6's now: Boston College (A- baseline!), Rutgers, Northwestern, South Carolina, Hawaii & Arizona State. This category includes 9 C jobs and 31 C- jobs.

edit: I moved to Hawaii. Didn't expect to leave LMU so fast, but I did better there than I expected, and the Hawaii job has always intrigued me. I got no new-coach-bump to prestige at UH, and my loyalty fell from A+ to B.
4/4/2018 12:10 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
job process data, by a consistent R1 NT loser Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.