Help with Game Management / Recruiting Topic

I would welcome some mentorship from any veteran in this game. I seem to be struggling in managing games in regards to effective lineups. I am trying to rebuild this team but would love any insights on strategy that I can get on game management and recruiting as well.

Thanks in advance
9/10/2017 2:48 AM
Pg - Smith, hakala
Sg- Boner, sawyer
SF- Baird, Wong
Pf- Emerson, kop
C - dinwiddie, Schulz's, roach

starting boner gets you a lot more Def at SG and allows sawyer to use his strength (shooting).

set sawyer to +2 and eveveryone else to -2 for 3s. Set Sawyer at like 30 for distribution and kop around 15. Those are going to be main scorers. Dinwiddie should be about 10ish. Adjust other guys based upon performance but they shouldn't get too much offense.

Play slowdown. If sawyer isn't getting enough minutes with slowdown then put him backup PG too. Or just continue to jack up his distribution.
9/10/2017 8:52 AM
Benis, or any other veterans...

I played HD a few years back and decided to get back in, just started a new season in Naismith DIII with Cornell. I'd appreciate feedback on a few questions I have on game management (to hopefully start me on the right foot as I move forward.)

First: lineup... I'm enjoying using a lineup now with some hidden features (i.e. a starter seeing more time at a different position)... it seems to be working well but I'm up against lowly Sims in non-conference and my conference schedule is gonna be a doozy. I'd appreciate some feedback on hypotheticals: (if you play Joe mostly at the 3 spot, expect xyz to happen. If you play Joe at the 4 spot, expect xyz to happen...)

Next: tempo... as a general rule I play uptempo if I feel I have the stronger starting 5, and slowdown if I feel I'm at a disadvantage. In what circumstances would you look for exceptions to that?

Next: defense position... if I want to protect a hot 3-pointing team, but I don't want rebounding to suffer, should I avoid playing +3, etc?

Next: doubleteam... what are keys you look for in choosing whether or not to doubleteam?

Finally: what can I expect in performance differences from a player with 90 ath 10 spd, a player with 10 ath 90 spd, and a player with 50 ath and 50 spd?... if all other performance abilities are equal?

9/11/2017 7:27 PM
Don't recruit a player projected under 50 ath (there are exceptions). First advice. Try to get as much Ath/De on your team that you can. Second advice. Don't take players with ONLY ath/de tho like manseau and clark. Guys like hotchkiss and redonaldo are really good for DIII. Hobbs is a great example of an exception to the 50 ath rule. Good speed an bh makes up for it. The 50 ath rule has NO exceptions for bigs.
9/11/2017 7:37 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/10/2017 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Pg - Smith, hakala
Sg- Boner, sawyer
SF- Baird, Wong
Pf- Emerson, kop

starting boner gets you a lot more Def at SG and allows sawyer to use his strength (shooting).

set sawyer to +2 and eveveryone else to -2 for 3s. Set Sawyer at like 30 for distribution and kop around 15. Those are going to be main scorers. Dinwiddie should be about 10ish. Adjust other guys based upon performance but they shouldn't get too much offense.

Play slowdown. If sawyer isn't getting enough minutes with slowdown then put him backup PG too. Or just continue to jack up his distribution.
^^ Great advice. recruit as much ath as possible.
9/11/2017 7:38 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 9/11/2017 7:37:00 PM (view original):
Don't recruit a player projected under 50 ath (there are exceptions). First advice. Try to get as much Ath/De on your team that you can. Second advice. Don't take players with ONLY ath/de tho like manseau and clark. Guys like hotchkiss and redonaldo are really good for DIII. Hobbs is a great example of an exception to the 50 ath rule. Good speed an bh makes up for it. The 50 ath rule has NO exceptions for bigs.
Clark is getting the boot first chance I get. Thank you for the tip!
9/11/2017 7:43 PM
Uh, well, if given the option, I'm playing Clark over Jordan. That guy would be number one on my chopping block. At least clark has elite ath/def while jordan sucks at everything.

But yes, as cubcub says, try to not really get guys like clark since they're not good at anything except defense and are a liability on offense. For the time being though, he's a better option than some of the other guys on your team... Cox with 1 defense!! He's gone for sure.
9/11/2017 10:56 PM (edited)
Posted by craigaltonw on 9/11/2017 7:27:00 PM (view original):
Benis, or any other veterans...

I played HD a few years back and decided to get back in, just started a new season in Naismith DIII with Cornell. I'd appreciate feedback on a few questions I have on game management (to hopefully start me on the right foot as I move forward.)

First: lineup... I'm enjoying using a lineup now with some hidden features (i.e. a starter seeing more time at a different position)... it seems to be working well but I'm up against lowly Sims in non-conference and my conference schedule is gonna be a doozy. I'd appreciate some feedback on hypotheticals: (if you play Joe mostly at the 3 spot, expect xyz to happen. If you play Joe at the 4 spot, expect xyz to happen...)

Next: tempo... as a general rule I play uptempo if I feel I have the stronger starting 5, and slowdown if I feel I'm at a disadvantage. In what circumstances would you look for exceptions to that?

Next: defense position... if I want to protect a hot 3-pointing team, but I don't want rebounding to suffer, should I avoid playing +3, etc?

Next: doubleteam... what are keys you look for in choosing whether or not to doubleteam?

Finally: what can I expect in performance differences from a player with 90 ath 10 spd, a player with 10 ath 90 spd, and a player with 50 ath and 50 spd?... if all other performance abilities are equal?

For lineup, it's a little tricky. Hotchkiss or Hobbs can play PG but Hotchkiss is the superior defender. Since you play M2M, I'd play Hotchkiss at either PG or SG depending on the other team's guard. If their SG is putting up 20ppg then match up hotch against him - for example. But in general I'd do this

PG - Hotch, Davis, Hobbs
SG- Hobbs, Mcgrotty, Clark
SF - Krueger, Manseau, Clark
PF- Redono, Lockmiller,
C- Bodily, Lockmiller

Honestly I wouldn't even want Jordan or Cox to see the court. Just play slowdown/normal with 10 guys. You play M2M, fatigue won't be a big issue. I wouldn't really go uptempo. Your starters are strong but you have no depth. Typicaly going uptempo means you have a depth advantage or a fatigue advantage or you can get the other team in foul trouble easily (elite ath w/ FB offense for example).

Personally I don't go above +1 very often. I typically stay in the -2 to +1 range. Sims are going to take a lot of 3s but they're usually garbage at it. I just let them shoot and miss. You also have the option to double their best 3pt shooter. If they're pretty balanced scoring, I typically just use "when leading scorer".

your final question is too difficult to answer because those players would be playing different positions. a guy with 10 spd isn't going to be playing PG while 10 ath/90 spd won't be playing Center. But for a Center, I'd take 90ath 10spd over 50 ath and 50 spd. And if I were playing press, for a guard, I'd take 10 ath 90spd vs 50ath 50spd.
9/11/2017 8:26 PM
Really good stuff Benis, thank you! You could charge tutoring fees for your mentor tips. Send me a bill.
9/11/2017 8:32 PM
Posted by Benis on 9/10/2017 8:52:00 AM (view original):
Pg - Smith, hakala
Sg- Boner, sawyer
SF- Baird, Wong
Pf- Emerson, kop

Heh, heh, heh . . . he said "Boner".
9/11/2017 10:03 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 9/11/2017 8:32:00 PM (view original):
Really good stuff Benis, thank you! You could charge tutoring fees for your mentor tips. Send me a bill.
You can pay me back by joining either USA S in phelan or dumping Cornell in Iba to join capital.
9/11/2017 10:54 PM
I really appreciate the help Benis!
9/12/2017 5:16 AM
Posted by chasecannon on 9/10/2017 2:48:00 AM (view original):
I would welcome some mentorship from any veteran in this game. I seem to be struggling in managing games in regards to effective lineups. I am trying to rebuild this team but would love any insights on strategy that I can get on game management and recruiting as well.

Thanks in advance
I hate to do this but I think I need help too. I really thought I had a grip on this game but this season has been a total nightmare. I'm losing to teams that I'm clearly better than and I'm at a complete loss for why. Replies or site mail are appreciated.
9/12/2017 2:37 PM
Recruiting is the MOST important part of this game. Without the horses, all the setting of lineups or game planning will not provide wins by themselves.

So focus on next seasons recruiting class. For the most part, take a shotgun approach to recruiting until you figure out who you can go after without wasting recources.

I would get rid of Roach. He's not going to help much.
9/12/2017 3:11 PM
Posted by MWalpole on 9/12/2017 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chasecannon on 9/10/2017 2:48:00 AM (view original):

Thanks in advance
I hate to do this but I think I need help too. I really thought I had a grip on this game but this season has been a total nightmare. I'm losing to teams that I'm clearly better than and I'm at a complete loss for why. Replies or site mail are appreciated.
What team do you need help with?
9/12/2017 6:46 PM
123 Next ▸
Help with Game Management / Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.