Help with Game Management / Recruiting Topic

Posted by MWalpole on 9/12/2017 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chasecannon on 9/10/2017 2:48:00 AM (view original):
I would welcome some mentorship from any veteran in this game. I seem to be struggling in managing games in regards to effective lineups. I am trying to rebuild this team but would love any insights on strategy that I can get on game management and recruiting as well.

Thanks in advance
I hate to do this but I think I need help too. I really thought I had a grip on this game but this season has been a total nightmare. I'm losing to teams that I'm clearly better than and I'm at a complete loss for why. Replies or site mail are appreciated.
What team do you need help with?
9/12/2017 6:46 PM
Mount St. Mary's....I'm open to all suggestions on how to right this ship.
9/12/2017 8:54 PM
Okay, I'll be pretty blunt in my assessment here.

You have some pretty strong players on this team but then you have some guys who have no business being on a D1 team (or even a D2/D3 team).

Off the bat - you play zone. You don't need 12 guys. Go into recruiting with the assumption that you'll take some walk ons. This will will allow you to focus your resources on a couple good players instead of just filling out a roster. Plus this maximizes resources from season to season.

For a lineup -

PG- Bernard, Rykowski
SG- Conti, Garrett
SF- Koch, Keaton
PF- Gleaves, Dvorak
C- English, Russo

Honestly, this was really hard. You don't have much to work with for guards after Bernard. But I think I'd do something like that. I'd keep Davis and Jackson off the depth chart completely. Both those guys can be cut immediately. Davis has a 15 Def and hasn't improved 1 single point in there meaning he's probably Red. 15 def at D1 is unbelievably low. Then Jackson seems like he might have some potential but his WE is so low that he won't ever been any good. You can easily get better players than him that can contribute much earlier in their career.

Go Slowdown. All day. Bernard needs to play like 35 mpg. Same for Koch. A big problem with your team is that you don't really have a good scoring guard. You got Conti at SG based on the fact that you don't really have anyone else but he's not great at scoring. I actually considering switching Koch and Conti since Koch has better LP/Per but I think he should score well at SF too.

You have one good big in Gleaves but the others are pretty yucky. Dvoak's ath/def of 30/28 is really bad at D1. I'd cut him too along with Davis and Jackson. English and Russo seem like okay players based upon Reb/Blk but their ath/def is pretty mediocre. At D1, you should be able to easily get guys with 70ish Ath/def. AT LEAST 60. 55 ath, 43 def is way too low.

Basically you need

1. MUCH better ath/def, particularly in your bigs
2. Higher BH/Pass for your guards.
3. True scorers. Bernard would be a very good starting SG and would put up some decent scoring but he needs to play PG because there's no one else.

Here are your good players. Try to get more players like them
Bernard
Koch (with more ath/BH would be great)
Gleaves
Garrett (maybe depending on potentials but it looks like BH is still going to be low)

Cut these players ASAP
Davis
Keeton
Jackson
Dvorak
Rykowski (even though he's a junior, might as well. He's not good.)
9/12/2017 10:11 PM
I don't have time to go too in-depth right now but I have a few basic comments.

1. Recruit better players. These players are not D-1 caliber: Davis, Rykowski, English, Jackson, Russo, and Dvorak. Their lack of Athleticism and Defense has to be killing you. I suggest having a few bright line rules in your head when recruiting. For example, I don't recruit any post player that will fail to reach at least 70 in ATH/REB/DEF for my M2M defense and that is an absolute minimum. For zone, BLK is also a core for post players. For perimeter players I also target a minimum of 70 DEF.

While 70 is too low for a good D-1 team, it should give you a starting point for weeding out unacceptable recruits. You should definitely try to get players who will end up above 75-80 in their cores, but there are occasionally useful players that don't quite reach that level in one category but make up for it in others. Kurtis Adkinson (https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=11992&pid=3681185 ) is a PF on my Oklahoma team and has an ATH of 71. He finished 2nd team all-conference though because he is 95 at REB, 99 DEF, 90 LP, and 50 SPD. Someone with D-1 zone experience can get more specific with what they target for difference positions.

2. Run slowdown. Your starters are vastly superior to your bench so you should be trying to maximize the amount of time they are on the floor.

3. If you are running zone you don't need 12 players. You should focus on getting 10 good players and don't be afraid to take a walk on or two.
9/12/2017 10:19 PM
Posted by Kylewalpole on 9/12/2017 8:54:00 PM (view original):
Mount St. Mary's....I'm open to all suggestions on how to right this ship.
Oh no.....I just realized I replied with my brother still logged in. I'm actually shocked the forum bloodhounds didn't jump on this lol. YES I play HD and YES my brother does too. I'll save you guys the time. We started together during FREEHD when he found this site. We both play the FC Dynasty too. Both tried GD, but weren't fans and quit. Google "Walpole Bensalem" and you'll see we're legitimately related lol we just happen to share a computer. My mistake. Thanks for your understanding.
9/13/2017 10:29 AM
To Benis & Slam, thanks for the feedback. I had another very successful coach site mail me and we've gone back and forth and he pretty much said exactly what you guys said. I NEED to get better athletes and defenders. What I explained to him was that some of the lower quality guys I had were last day panic signings because for each of the past 3 seasons I've lost my #1 target on dice rolls so I was forced to scramble. I brought in guys to be bench players good at one particular thing (Dvorak for rebounding/blocking, Keetan for perimeter) or high potentials (Davis was green at speed, perimeter, ball handling, & passing) because it was late in recruiting. Rykowski is and always was horrible so idk why he's even here but I let him stay because he's a Junior and I'll get his scholly money next year. I was also under the impression from the forums that you can "hide" a bad defensive player in zone so taking on a poor defensive player never scared me. I know now that is not the case lol. I appreciate everyone's help!
9/13/2017 10:50 AM
More help please! Recruiting...

I'm scouting my first time in 3.0 and made some mistakes at D3. I'm out of budget; the plan is to go after D1 recruits but I don't know their preferences.

Will I be able to gauge preference matchup with my school with AP?... If I give Joe and Bob the same amount of AP but Bob's interest level in me is better than Joe... is that a way for me to blindly gauge the recruit's preferences?

9/26/2017 9:32 AM
Yes but it's a really rough way to do it. Nonetheless, any way you slice it, D1 recruit preferences won't matter much if D1/D2 schools show up. I use that method more to see how quickly I can open scholarship offers. If it's going to take 200 AP to open schollie, I have to decide if I can spare that many AP on one guy.
9/26/2017 9:41 AM
Posted by craigaltonw on 9/26/2017 9:32:00 AM (view original):

I'm scouting my first time in 3.0 and made some mistakes at D3. I'm out of budget; the plan is to go after D1 recruits but I don't know their preferences.

Will I be able to gauge preference matchup with my school with AP?... If I give Joe and Bob the same amount of AP but Bob's interest level in me is better than Joe... is that a way for me to blindly gauge the recruit's preferences?

So you only have players to level 1 scouting? Did you do a home camp?

but yes you can tell. Give 3 APs to a bunch of players and look at what % was unlocked. That will tell you how you match up. I say 3 AP because it takes a lot to move the needle on D1 recruits and this way you won't get any fractional % unlocked that shows up as 0.

but I highly recommend not using only level 1 scouting info. You really need at least level 3 info. Ill send you some D3 scouting tips for next time.
9/26/2017 10:03 AM
Posted by Benis on 9/26/2017 10:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by craigaltonw on 9/26/2017 9:32:00 AM (view original):

So you only have players to level 1 scouting? Did you do a home camp?

but yes you can tell. Give 3 APs to a bunch of players and look at what % was unlocked. That will tell you how you match up. I say 3 AP because it takes a lot to move the needle on D1 recruits and this way you won't get any fractional % unlocked that shows up as 0.

but I highly recommend not using only level 1 scouting info. You really need at least level 3 info. Ill send you some D3 scouting tips for next time.
Yeah... I spent too much budget on a camp and SS for D3 recruits before I realized I shouldn't be really looking at them. Oh well, lesson learned.
9/26/2017 3:07 PM
Well, the good news is that when you cut players recruited by other people, you get the resources for them. So when you get rid of Mr 1 Defense Paul Jordan, you'll get scouting money to use in the 2nd session. Definitely not ideal but if you plan to stick it out at Cornell, it might help.
9/26/2017 3:57 PM
So I've seen some controversy in the forums over the quality of recruits D2 and D3 can land. Regardless of all that...

Currently, what are my chances of getting a guy who is a 1 star and in the top 200 overall recruits to play D3?... If no humans fight for him will a Sim beat me out? Setting my sights too high?
10/12/2017 11:26 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 10/12/2017 11:26:00 PM (view original):
So I've seen some controversy in the forums over the quality of recruits D2 and D3 can land. Regardless of all that...

Currently, what are my chances of getting a guy who is a 1 star and in the top 200 overall recruits to play D3?... If no humans fight for him will a Sim beat me out? Setting my sights too high?
At D3, 1 star is probably a bit too high. It's possible but that will be rare. Position rankings in the top 200 are attainable though.

Sims can be beaten if you get after them early and have good preferences.
10/13/2017 10:55 AM
Posted by Benis on 10/13/2017 10:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by craigaltonw on 10/12/2017 11:26:00 PM (view original):

At D3, 1 star is probably a bit too high. It's possible but that will be rare. Position rankings in the top 200 are attainable though.

Sims can be beaten if you get after them early and have good preferences.
I got him

Bam, bam, one star comin to D3!
10/21/2017 11:27 PM
Congrats, Craig! He'll be very good at D3.
10/22/2017 12:34 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Help with Game Management / Recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.