Difference between scouting Topic

$20 million in College Scouting

$0 in Advance Scouting. Same Player. Same draft year.

Not drastic, but some of the swings are significant.
9/12/2017 10:31 PM
Was busy checking some players so figured I'd post it for newer players.
9/12/2017 10:36 PM
the currents are almost exactly what you'd expect given the $20 draft scout. moral of the story is 0 ADV isn't so bad?
9/13/2017 12:29 AM
Well, the $20 million College Scouting says he'll reach 78/75 splits for LH/RH. With a 90 makeup, you'd think he'd come close if he had good coaching and played a lot. (Of course even $20 million isn't perfect.)

Crappy $0 advanced says he'll reach 64/61 with an 82 makeup. That's a pretty steep swing. Add to that the false inflation of the glove. Overall, similar, but scouting says he's an average BLer and Advanced says he's a AAAA guy.
9/13/2017 6:14 AM
When my Zero Adv scouting says a young player won't be as good as I thought, I expect he'll be as good as my 20 Mil draft scouting said.

Zero Adv always tells you 26 year old players should improve by 10 points by the time they turn 27. IMO it's the most obvious flashing light that Zero Adv projections are useless.

9/13/2017 7:22 AM
Posted by damag on 9/13/2017 7:22:00 AM (view original):
When my Zero Adv scouting says a young player won't be as good as I thought, I expect he'll be as good as my 20 Mil draft scouting said.

Zero Adv always tells you 26 year old players should improve by 10 points by the time they turn 27. IMO it's the most obvious flashing light that Zero Adv projections are useless.

And usually say 18 year olds will gain 50 points in every category. : /
9/13/2017 8:36 AM
Posted by bripat42 on 9/13/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
So, your highly paid college scouts project him to be a 4th/5th outfielder, and the unpaid interns on your advanced scouting staff think he's more like a "AAAA" outfielder? Regardless of who turns out to be closer to correct, whoever gave the green light to draft this guy 8th overall should be fired.
Its not my player. But I will say that it was a weak draft.
9/13/2017 1:54 PM (edited)
Durability, health, loyalty and makeup all over 80 - that's exactly how you get a high overall player who doesn't excel at anything. Intangibles! Hustle! Swagger!

9/13/2017 2:31 PM
Here is what I think is a bigger issue. I picked 23rd. The guy I got I had ranked #2 on my board. I looked at the 1st 10 picks in the draft and 5 of them weren't even in my top 500 list, including #1 & #2. My budget is HS=13, Col=9. All 5 were COL or JC. Still it makes little sense to me that a scouting staff would completely ignore top players.
10/3/2017 9:36 AM
The game is designed to force you to invest in scouting. 9 College just doesn't cut it if you expect to see college players.
10/3/2017 10:17 AM
To follow up on that, if EVERYONE saw the Top 100, it would be folly to invest in scouting. I know, even with 0/0, I'm getting 2, maybe 3, Top 100 players.
10/3/2017 10:17 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/3/2017 10:17:00 AM (view original):
To follow up on that, if EVERYONE saw the Top 100, it would be folly to invest in scouting. I know, even with 0/0, I'm getting 2, maybe 3, Top 100 players.
In Hoops Dynasty everyone DOES see the top 100. My point is even if I don't invest as much in college scouting, I should be able to at least know these guys exist. My department may not rank them as accurately, but I would at least have heard about them. Also, budgeting 9/20 is not exactly ignoring college players.
10/3/2017 1:20 PM
If something is not spelled out explicitly, I have to make assumptions. Mine try to be based on logic and intuitive (at least in my way of thinking). I was not aware of this particular detail about the game until I started looking at the results of this last draft. Obviously, I have to adjust my thinking in order to deal with this new information (duh). All that being said, not knowing anything about some the best players available in the draft is counter-intuitive to me.
10/3/2017 1:40 PM
This has been a discussion for 10+ years. The design is to force you to invest in scouting. In HD, you don't "invest", it's just given to you. There is no budgeting. A limited few have access to those top 100 so it's simply not relevant.

I guarantee you, if all teams saw the Top 100 in HBD, every veteran owner would race to ZERO HS/Coll because, no matter what, you have access to 2-3 of those Top 100 in every draft. Throwing darts blindfolded, as PJF suggested is a good idea now(it isn't), would be the best strategy.
10/3/2017 1:58 PM
12 Next ▸
Difference between scouting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.