Offensive formations Topic

I am noticing that most people are using one formation regardless of situation. My question is what are the pros and cons of each formation before I choose one.
9/13/2017 5:37 PM
Pro - Higher FIQ, Easier Gameplans

Cons - Easier to gameplan against, lack of versatility which may limit your ability to take advantage of certain situations. Typically lower FIQ the more formations you practice.

I place an extreme value on FIQ, so I use only 1 offensive formation. I am sure other coaches have different opinions.

Hope this helps.

nitros (James)
9/13/2017 6:19 PM
The theory would be that certain formations work better for certain types of offenses - Wishbone/ND Box for Running, I/Pro for Balanced, and Trips/Shotgun for passing. I'm not positive it actually works that way in practice though.

I think most people choose the balanced formations for recruiting purposes. There is a finite number of roughly similarly skilled players available at each position. So if you only need to recruit 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, you can do so relatively inexpensively and save your money for those OL, DL and DBs that cost a ton. However if you are running wishbone and need to recruit 2-3 RB's you'd have to spend more or risk not having enough depth. Or maybe it's just because the other formations aren't as effective, I haven't tried them in a while.
9/13/2017 7:43 PM
I would look at the successful teams and see which ones run an offense that you would like to run, i.e. balanced, pass-heavy, or run-heavy. And then see what offensive formations they are using. I have been using Pro-Set exclusively for awhile because it seems to be the most versatile, but am starting to experiment with other formations.
9/13/2017 8:27 PM
Most of my formations are offensive, so I wouldn't look at anything I do.

9/14/2017 8:54 AM
Offensive formations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.