Round 2 Themes, 2017 Topic

Posted by toddcommish on 9/22/2017 2:39:00 PM (view original):
For $90M, certain pitchers have split seasons and combined seasons. If we remove the MOST EXPENSIVE season, can we use a split season for that pitcher?
Ah, yeah, this is why I generally am not a fan of combined seasons.

To remain true to the intention of the league, if a player is the highest salaried hitter or pitcher on a team, ALL versions of that player will not be allowed to be used for that team.
9/22/2017 10:57 PM
Following up on the dynamic pricing comments, I just received this from support after inquiring about changes and making suggestions (including some mentioned here and elsewhere in the forums):
9/26/2017 1:19 PM Customer Support
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback, I've added it to our list for review. We would like to make some improvements to the dynamic salary process.
9/26/2017 1:27 PM
80m question. I'll use the Jeter/Posada Core Four example.

Let's say I want to start with 1996 Jeter. Then I want to use 1997 Posada.

They played together in both 96 and 97. So does that mean I can't use Posada?

If I am allowed to use Posada, I would THEN have to find a player who was only on the 97 Yankees, and no other Yankee teams?

I truly HATE chain leagues. My brain just does not work that way.
9/26/2017 8:57 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 9/15/2017 4:52:00 PM (view original):
$80M: The Chain
Each of your players must have played with one, and only one, other player on your roster prior to the season of theirs that you use.

Example: If you are using 1914 Dutch Leonard, you can twist one player on the 1914 Red Sox to a season after 1914. If this player is Babe Ruth, and you then use 1927 Babe Ruth, you can then twist one player on the 1927 Yankees to any season after 1927. In this example, you would not be able to use any players from 1915 - 1926.

Other Specifics
Seasons: All
DH: No
WW: No
AAA: No
Trades: No
Clones: No
Injuries: Turned On
Live: Not allowed
Multi-team players: No restriction
Ballpark: Use a park one of your chosen players played in
300K Exception: No
Team Name: Use your start and end years
Division Alignment: Random
Probably a silly question, but can you have more than one chain? For instance, could you have 14 leonard and 27 ruth and then another chain with 14 ABC and 27 XYZ as long as ABC and XYZ never played with 14 leonard or 27 ruth. I assume no, but it isn't explicitly stated that way in the rules.
9/27/2017 3:12 PM
Another $80 Million chain question.
A. I use 1915 Leonard of the Red Sox as my initial player.
B. Tris Speaker is a teammate of his on the 1915 team so I select the 1924 version of Speaker on Cleveland.
C. Joe Sewell is a teammate of his on the 1924 Indians so I select the 1931 Yankee version of Sewell.

Is this a legal chain even though Babe Ruth is a teammate of the 1915 Leonard and the 1931 Sewell even though I never have any version of Ruth on my roster?

In your original example of the 1914 Leonard and the 1927 Ruth if you would change the Leonard version to 1915 that would also put Herb Pennock on both the 1915 and 1927 teams along with Ruth. Would the 1915 Leonard and the 1927 Ruth be legal even if I never used Pennock?

I tried not to look at the Round 2 themes because it would jinx me from making it into Round 2 but ......
9/28/2017 11:29 AM
this is a really good question - I am very confused by the legalities in this theme.
9/28/2017 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure it's only guys you actually draft. So each player on your roster can only have been teammates with one other player on your roster. My understanding is that undrafted teammates have no bearing on anything.
9/28/2017 12:13 PM
Sorry guys - have been swamped with work. Will respond to these this afternoon
9/28/2017 12:18 PM
Looks like The Chain will be more of a mess than this season's $90M draft. A nightmare to draft, then lots of teams getting sent back for redrafting.
9/28/2017 1:12 PM
Add my name to those confused by the $80 million chain. Really having a hard time getting my brain wrapped around the concepts. Perhaps I'm thinking too narrowly.
9/28/2017 2:59 PM
Ok, apologies to anyone to whom this was not clear before. The 80M rules are as follows:
  • You must construct a single chain of 25 players
  • Each player you use (unused teammates are irrelevant) must appear on the same real life roster (team and year) of two (and only two) other players on your team (i.e. in my original example, Babe Ruth is on the 1914 Red Sox and 1927 Yankees. You would not be able to use any other teams Babe Ruth was a part of (i.e. 1932 Yankees, 1935 Braves, etc)
  • Your 25 players must be from 25 unique seasons
  • Your chain can only move in one direction. Once you pass by a season, you can not go back and again use earlier season (i.e. if you use a player from 2000 and then your next player is from 2002, you are unable to use any 2001 players)

I believe that address all of the questions. If things are still unclear, I'm happy to elaborate.
9/28/2017 10:56 PM (edited)
80m: Each player you use (unused teammates are irrelevant) must appear on the same real life roster (team and year) of two (and only two) other players on your team : Except for the first year and last year player right? They only need to appear on the same roster as one.
9/29/2017 7:34 AM
Posted by jmissirlis on 9/29/2017 7:34:00 AM (view original):
80m: Each player you use (unused teammates are irrelevant) must appear on the same real life roster (team and year) of two (and only two) other players on your team : Except for the first year and last year player right? They only need to appear on the same roster as one.
Correct. It would be impossible for the chain to loop around. I don't think Cap Anson was a time traveler
9/29/2017 7:44 AM
Posted by ozomatli on 9/28/2017 10:56:00 PM (view original):
Ok, apologies to anyone to whom this was not clear before. The 80M rules are as follows:
  • You must construct a single chain of 25 players
  • Each player you use (unused teammates are irrelevant) must appear on the same real life roster (team and year) of two (and only two) other players on your team (i.e. in my original example, Babe Ruth is on the 1914 Red Sox and 1927 Yankees. You would not be able to use any other teams Babe Ruth was a part of (i.e. 1932 Yankees, 1935 Braves, etc)
  • Your 25 players must be from 25 unique seasons
  • Your chain can only move in one direction. Once you pass by a season, you can not go back and again use earlier season (i.e. if you use a player from 2000 and then your next player is from 2002, you are unable to use any 2001 players)

I believe that address all of the questions. If things are still unclear, I'm happy to elaborate.
I don't know if this answers my question. I guess it does.

Jeter and Posada played together in 96 and 97. According to this, I can use them both (Jeter 96, Posada 97) and it doesn't matter how many years they played together, as long as I don't use any other teams that either of them was on.

I think that's right.

EDIT: Nope, I'm wrong, because let's say I wanted Wade Boggs to be next in my chain. I could twist him to the 98 Rays (no Posada or Jeter on that team), but Boggs was teammates with more than 2 players because he played with both Jeter and Posada in 1997.
9/29/2017 8:45 AM (edited)
I think you basically can’t use them, with one exception.

You could have Jeter as 24th player in chain and Posada as 25th.

But otherwise the chain won’t work. There is no one you can choose after Posada who is his teammate and is not Jeter’s.
9/29/2017 8:43 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...12 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2017 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.