Guess Report Accuracy Topic

Agree with Bob's post above, but I also highly value the Guess ratings. And I enjoy the recruiting part of the game just as much as the game-planning. Just another shout out to Bob and the work that he does. Thank you Bob!
10/13/2017 2:23 PM
I think gameplanning is very important. But an average game planner with a top 5 GUESS team will almost always beat a great game planner that has a #20 GUESS ranked team.

A great game planner can beat a below average game planner if the discrepancy is more like #5 vs #12. But they normally still have to catch a few breaks (kick returns, turnovers etc).

There are always a few coaches in each world that light the world on fire with recruiting but perpetually fall in the 3rd round.

In my opinion, game planning is only important when teams are within, estimating here, 5 GUESS POINTS (not ranking) of each other. That's why I don't game plan for sims etc.
10/13/2017 4:09 PM
Posted by badaxe on 10/12/2017 5:59:00 PM (view original):
Suit yourself.
Yost D1AA current NC was ranked #8 in Guess. (Also my team)
I would listen to bhaz and orangepace. Successful experienced coaches. And my two last NCs directly refute your argument.
Just sayin.
You winning the NC while not being in the TOP 6 of GUESS does not refute my argument. Ranger's research shows that 87% of National Champions are in the TOP 5. You just happen to be THE 13 PERCENT. That speaks highly of your game planning skills.
10/17/2017 10:44 AM
The other thing to consider on probably a rare occasion is that you have a 1-3 SIM players on your team from the recent recruiting cycle, which otherwise would be a top-5 Guess team. Those guys will never see the light of day and knock you out of the Top 5 overall Guess team rankings, but you still have a fantastic team and will compete for the national title.
10/17/2017 3:09 PM
Posted by badaxe on 10/12/2017 5:59:00 PM (view original):
Suit yourself.
Yost D1AA current NC was ranked #8 in Guess. (Also my team)
I would listen to bhaz and orangepace. Successful experienced coaches. And my two last NCs directly refute your argument.
Just sayin.
I'm not going to take anything away from you and other coaches who are great gameplanners in this game, but your team was ranked #4 according to guess when you won the title last season. With that said gameplanning is very important in this game when you get to the playoffs, and the coaches that consistently win titles know how to gameplan properly. Talent matters, but if you are evenly matched ( like deep in the playoffs ) you need to be able to out gameplan the other coach.
10/17/2017 3:43 PM
I want to clarify that my evaluation was strictly with the D2 worlds. Not sure if D1AA and D1A follow this same script. I agree with bhaz that in D2 the rich do get richer. Since completing the 15 season evaluation 8 of the 11 worlds completed another season. Four of the National Champions were ranked #1, two were ranked #2, one was ranked #4 and one was ranked #5. Five of the runners up were ranked between 1-3 two were a #6 and the one dark horse was ranked #14. Three worlds left to see if a team that falls below #5 can win it.
10/17/2017 5:20 PM
Bigpoppa85, "There are always a few coaches in each world that light the world on fire with recruiting but perpetually fall in the 3rd round."

<<raises hand>> yup, that's me; though I wouldn't say I light the world on fire, I seem to do better in recruiting than I do with development and planning. I'm in need of some gameplanning mentoring.
10/17/2017 6:04 PM
Posted by ntnsty on 10/17/2017 6:04:00 PM (view original):
Bigpoppa85, "There are always a few coaches in each world that light the world on fire with recruiting but perpetually fall in the 3rd round."

<<raises hand>> yup, that's me; though I wouldn't say I light the world on fire, I seem to do better in recruiting than I do with development and planning. I'm in need of some gameplanning mentoring.
No shame in that ntnsty. Game planning is another beast and takes quite a bit of time and experience. I'm trying to up my gameplanning level myself
10/17/2017 7:46 PM
The last three worlds have completed their seasons. Camp and Bryant followed the trend with both Guess ranked #2 teams beating the #1 ranked teams. However #8 ranked Newberry took home the prize in Hayes. The last season for the 11 D2 worlds saw four #1 ranked teams, four #2 ranked teams, a #4, a #5 and a #8 ranked win National Championships. Of the 22 teams that participated in the NC game only 4 were ranked below #5. I think it is hard to be considered a contender if you don't make the top 5. Then again as #8 ranked Newberry shows, there is a chance. Just kind of slim.
10/28/2017 9:17 PM
◂ Prev 123
Guess Report Accuracy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.