Favorite baseball sayings Topic

Credited to Joe Adcock...sneaking a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past the rooster...
9/21/2017 9:16 PM
A few from Casey Stengel (he had a million of them):

After winning the 1958 World Series: "I couldn't have done it without my players."

When asked by Mickey Mantle if he'd ever played baseball: "Sure I played. Did you think I was born at the age of 70 sitting in a dugout trying to manage guys like you?"

"I was not successful as a ballplayer, as it was a game of skill."

He came up with some gems after being hired to manage the Mets: "Can't anybody here play this game?"

"I've been in this game 100 years, but I see new ways to lose I never knew existed before."

Pointing out to a reporter various Mets players on the field: "See that fella Greg Goossen over there? He's 20 years old, and in 10 years he's got a chance to be a star in this game. Now see that fella over there? He's 20 years old, too. In 10 years, he's got a chance to be 30."
9/21/2017 10:43 PM
Dizzy Dean Had a lot of them " son, what kind of pitch would you like to miss"
9/21/2017 10:59 PM
yogi berra - as coach - pair up in threes.
joe dimaggio describing satchel paige's curveball -" satch has a curve with so many bends it looks like a wiggle in a cyclone:it gave me optical indigestion."
9/22/2017 12:53 AM
Stengel on picking Hobie Landrith, C, with the first pick in the Mets expansion draft: "If you don't have a catcher, you're going to get a lot of passed balls".
9/22/2017 1:08 PM
On why he had Berra manage when Casey got kicked out of games instead of one of the coaches: "Because he knows everything".
9/22/2017 1:10 PM
Frenchy Bordagary, on being fined for spitting at an umpire: "The fine was more than I expectorated".
9/22/2017 1:16 PM
mitch williams after last pitch of 1993 world series - #&^U#@K!!*9(#)G!345
9/22/2017 2:39 PM
Joe Carter hit that last pitch off Williams, which gave Toronto one of it's iconic broadcast moments when announcer Tom Cheek said: "Touch 'em all, Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!"

Cheek's words were repurposed years later:

Joe Carter, recently retired, showed up at the Masters one year without a hotel reservation. He ended up being offered a bed in a house shared by TSN’s Rod Black and Bob Weeks. Weeks, already asleep when Carter arrived, knew nothing about the household’s guest. Descending the stairs the next morning, he saw only a rather large stranger stretched out on the sofa.

“Cautiously, he peeked at the mystery man and thought: You know, that looks a little like Joe Carter,” Dave writes. “Upon closer inspection, he verified it was indeed Joe Carter, who seemed to be engaged in — shall we say? — a little creative scratching common to all men. Blurted out Weeksy, ‘Touch ’em all, Joe.’”

9/22/2017 3:04 PM
good stuff........

yogi berra on satchel paige - "knowing satchel paige is knowing nobody like him".....(.i guess it has internal logic.)
9/22/2017 3:18 PM
hit it where they aint

which back in the day meant control your bat, control your at-bat, be a little ball warrior, apply some skills you tiny dutch irish to move your wee lad around

sad sack now days it just means hit it in the stands

no wonder baseball is boring
9/22/2017 6:51 PM (edited)
IT USED TO BE A GAME OF TAG

got me, no you dint, fistfights, we need a judge

ADVANCE THE RUNNER

triples were the finest thing in the game and still are

that was power baby then

power, speed, ballpark, legs and arms out field

THE BAMBINO RUINED BASEBALL
9/22/2017 6:57 PM
Grab some pine, son.
9/22/2017 7:00 PM
will do. prolly watch some soap opras too. they move faster
9/22/2017 8:24 PM
The only thing you know about pitching is that you can't hit it. Bob Gibson to Tim Mc Carver.

Two thirds of the world is covered by water the rest is covered by Gary Maddox. Ralph Kiner.

What do you mean by that Phil. Bill White anytime Rizzoto made a border line racial remark.
9/23/2017 11:04 AM
123 Next ▸
Favorite baseball sayings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.