Favorite baseball sayings Topic

Gibson and McCarver are still close friends, but you would never have known that when McCarver would approach the mound. Not many guys would snarl at their own catcher. Gibson was just plain nasty. His teammates didn't dare talk to him on the day he pitched...Cepeda is the exception. One time Gibby threw at or hit a batter. The batter charged the mound. Cepeda cut him off. Hit him with 2 lefts and a right. Dropped the guy, then the benches emptied...
9/23/2017 5:56 PM
A few from Yogi:

• "Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical."

• On posterity: "I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

• "You can observe a lot by watching."

• "If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."

• About a St. Louis restaurant: "No one goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

9/23/2017 6:00 PM
more yogi.

you cant hit and think at the same time.
youve got to be careful if you dont know where you are going cause you might not get there.
i really didnt say everything i said.
on what time it was - you mean now?
it never happened in world series history and it hasn't happened since.
9/24/2017 10:37 AM (edited)
Satchel Paige

Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter."

"I ain't ever had a job, I just always played baseball."

"I don't generally like running. I believe in training by rising gently up and down from the bench."

"I never rush myself. See, they can't start the game without me."

"I use my single windup, my double windup, my triple windup, my hesitation windup, my no windup. I also use my step-n-pitch-it, my submariner, my sidearmer and my bat dodger. Man's got to do what he's got to do."

"If a man can beat you, walk him."

"It's funny what a few no-hitters do for a body."

"My feet ain't got nothing to do with my nickname, but when folks get it in their heads that a feller's got big feet, soon the feet start looking big."

"One time I snuck a ball on with me and when I went to winding up, I threw one of them balls to first and one to second. I was so smooth I picked off both runners and fanned the batter without that ump or the other team even knowing it."

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second class citizen to a second class immortal."

"There never was a man on earth who pitched as much as me. But the more I pitched, the stronger my arm would get."

"When a batter swings and I see his knees move, I can tell just what his weaknesses are then I just put the ball where I know he can't hit it."

"Ain’t no man can avoid being born average, but there ain’t no man got to be common."

"I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I would toss one that ain’t never been seen by this generation."

"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don’t move."

"They said I was the greatest pitcher they ever saw…I couldn’t understand why they couldn’t give me no justice."

"Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."

"Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines."

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

"Money and women. They're two of the strongest things in the world. The things you do for a woman you wouldn't do for anything else. Same with money."

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching."

"You win a few, you lose a few. Some get rained out. But you got to dress for all of them."

"My pitching philosophy is simple; you gotta keep the ball off the fat part of the bat."

"I never had a job. I always played baseball."

"Mother always told me, if you tell a lie, always rehearse it. If it don't sound good to you, it won't sound good to no one else."

"Don't eat fried food, it angries up the blood."

9/24/2017 6:16 AM
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/rogers_hornsby
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
Rogers Hornsby:

"People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
9/24/2017 6:56 PM
rob....you gotta do something about that stutter.
9/24/2017 7:48 PM
Billy Martin circa 1981 or 1982, after IF Shooty Babbitt made a few errors that ultimately cost the A's a game:

"If you ever see Shooty Babbitt in my lineup again, I want you to Shooty me...."
9/25/2017 10:47 AM
No way....no way...too high, too high....

Too high? What does that mean too high?

Whhaaatt?

Not too high, too hard!

First it was really high...

Who gives a ****, its gone
9/26/2017 2:08 PM
"What league did you play in last year?"

"California Penal."

"How did you get there???"

"I stole a car."
9/26/2017 3:14 PM
Rickey Henderson: "If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game."

Jim Bouton: "You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."
9/26/2017 4:02 PM

One game, opposing pitcher Lefty Gomez stepped up to bat against Feller. Feller started his windup, and Gomez lit a match and held it up. “What’s the matter,” asked the umpire. “Can’t you see Feller? Do you think that will help you see his fastball?”

Gomez replied, “I can see Feller just fine. I want to make sure he can see me.”

Read more: https://dfarq.homeip.net/r-i-p-bob-feller-american-hero/#ixzz4tpSfGWzX
9/26/2017 7:05 PM
relevant to today: when Babe Ruth signed a contract for an unprecedented sum, I think $80,000, a reporter told him, "Babe, that is more than the President makes !" Babe: "Yeah, but I had a better year than he did !"
9/29/2017 7:01 PM

"I'd rather be lucky than good" - Lefty Gomez

"Just a bit outside" - Harry Doyle
10/18/2017 3:14 PM (edited)
He Gone!

You can put it on the boaaaaaaard, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
10/8/2017 11:35 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 10/8/2017 11:35:00 AM (view original):
He Gone!

You can put it on the boaaaaaaard, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
10/8/2017 11:47 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Favorite baseball sayings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.