Stand Up For the Anthem Topic

Meh, they're just showing solidarity against Trump's comments. The vast majority weren't "protesting" anything two weeks ago. Teams (and their owners) are just circling the wagons. It gives the owners a chance to pretend they give a **** about social issues, and the players a chance to pretend they're mistreated.
9/26/2017 2:48 PM
9/26/2017 3:13 PM
Posted by all3 on 9/26/2017 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 9/26/2017 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Just because you don't agree, doesn't make me stupid. Maybe I think they are honoring their country with their protest because they see something wrong in this country and they want to fix it. Who knows what they are doing with the rest of their time? I certainly don't, and I doubt you do either. Maybe they are doing things that don't get any publicity. Maybe they are sitting on their ***** playing video games. They protest during that 5 minutes because that is when they will have the largest viewing audience.
Disagreeing with the protests doesn't make you stupid, but pretending there is no difference between a protest that millions of people feels spits on the Country and one that doesn't, certainly does. All these players had all off-season to organize and/or participate in some sort of protest, but did any of them do anything at all? They must be totally outraged, huh? More "Look at me!" from today's athletes, and this time at the Country's expense. Thank goodness millions of NFL fans are outraged and uniting in saying it needs to stop.
looks like Pat Tillman's wife agrees with me: https://www.yahoo.com/news/widow-former-nfl-player-died-080107029.html

Also,
maybe it is those millions of people who feel the protests are spitting on the country are the stupid ones. Just because its the opinion you hold, does not mean anyone who holds a differing opinion is stupid. The players have every right to protest. You and those millions of people have every right to boycott the NFL because of those protests. You also have every right to call me stupid, but that doesn't make it true. What you don't have the right to do is tell those protesters they do not have the right to protest.
9/26/2017 3:16 PM
I have the right to lie to people.
9/26/2017 3:22 PM
More of an obligation, really.
9/26/2017 3:43 PM
This is a post I saw from someone else on facebook. These are not my words, but they capture my viewpoint perfectly:

I’ve seen a lot of posts over the last 24 hours regarding “respecting the flag” and what that means…and how athletes who use their public forum to voice dissent... are somehow “unpatriotic”. I want to offer a different opinion.

My father is buried at the foot of the flagpole in Golden Gate National Cemetery. He landed at Normandy, fought at the Battle of the Bulge and liberated Nazi camps in Germany. His enemy was fascism. I served as a Green Beret in the early 1970s (pretty sure you all know what that entails). Our enemy at the time was communism. My son is currently a serving officer in the Army, who on his dress blues wears the Bronze Star he was awarded during a year-long tour in Afghanistan. His enemy is and was the Taliban and the threat of terrorism.

Three generations of my family, serving the USA, in harms’ way. Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader.

I can tell you, speaking for three generations of my family, it is PRECISELY for men like Kaepernick, and his right to peacefully protest injustice, that we were willing to serve. There is NOTHING more respectful of our country than living up to its ideals. There is nothing more patriotic than to say “I’m concerned with injustice, and will use my position to try and address it.”

Want to know what’s unpatriotic? Using your white privilege to avoid serving, citing “bone spurs in the heel” while playing varsity tennis at college while others went. Want to know what is antithetical to American values? Using the most powerful pulpit in the land to incite violence – against ANYONE. Want to define disgraceful behavior? Denigrating a man like Senator John McCain’s service and heroism while you sat home.

Want to respect the American flag? Then respect the ideals for which it stands. Bullying language and calling peaceful protesters “sons of *******” who should be fired aren’t among them.

p..s. anyone wishing to share this, please feel free.

9/26/2017 4:16 PM
See, why does race have to be involved in the discussion at all? Saying the privileged white are the only people who think this is disrespectful is far from the truth. Anyone who believes that is in their own World. There are many Americans, me included, who have disapproved ANYONE sitting, kneeling, or otherwise acting disrespectful during the National Anthem for decades. For those millions of people, it IS about respect, and nothing else. Those trying to make this, or anything else, about race, when it really isn't, are bigger racists than 99% of those they are accusing. Sorry you, and so many others, are yes, too dumb, or maybe just too stubborn, to see that and are intent on supporting your own racist accusations.
9/26/2017 5:27 PM
While they have a specific person in mind, the use of 'white privilege' in their attack corrupts their point.

It is a detestable choice to use as a weapon.
9/26/2017 5:57 PM
the race has to be involved because that's the heart of the protest

unarmed blacks getting shot by armed white cops

you've seen the videos

the cops excuse is their training

the cops excuse is they were scared

you try using those two excuses in your life when you shoot someone dead. you are getting 20 years
9/27/2017 12:06 AM
People stand during the Olympic Medal ceremonies. Nobody takes a knee, even when the Russians or the Iranians or anyone else win a Gold Medal and they play their respective national anthems. IT'S ABOUT RESPECT. That's all. As an athlete preparing to perform for a paid crowd (forget the TV audience), you should stand since it's THEIR anthem. You only have a job because people pay to see you perform on the field. If you don't show respect for your audience, they won't buy tickets and you won't have a job.

And many many more blacks are killed by other blacks than killed by white cops. Where are the protests for that?
9/27/2017 2:21 AM
But the "blacks".............
9/27/2017 4:22 AM
9/27/2017 6:23 AM
9/27/2017 8:33 AM
olympics and pro sports are far from the same thing.
9/27/2017 8:53 AM
Pretty sure Olympic athletes have made social statements.

9/27/2017 9:34 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Stand Up For the Anthem Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.