S136 D2 Playoffs (National Champions) Topic

The recent game of the night for week 7 had one heck of a come back by Long Island.

Pace is up 28-20 with 4:15 left in the 4th quarter and Pace gets the ball on their own 5 yard line after forcing Long Island to punt. In a heck of a series, they complete a pass for 8 yards to make it 2nd down and 2 yards only to get sacked for 8 yards, THEN sacked for another 8 yards and a safety!

Now 28-22 Pace and 2:56 on the lock, they kickoff to Long Island and Michael Swanson takes the kickoff to the house with a 84 yard TD return to push ahead 29-28.

Pace gets the kick off and the result is a touchback. The first play from scrimmage, they throw an INTERCEPTION and gives the ball right back to Long Island. They grind out over a minute on the clock and Pace has one more shot but can't go anywhere.

Crazy way to have that one slip away but good job to Long Island!

10/5/2017 10:00 PM
I had some time to cover a couple more conferences...

The Conference Review (II)

I'll continue to keep them going throughout the weekend.
10/6/2017 12:40 AM
Is there a section for the "what the hell was I thinking ?" Coaches ?
10/9/2017 7:27 PM
lol, YES! I think I wrote an article on it...

5 Things I would Do Next Season!

I put up a new article covering the conferences as we get closer to the CC's!

Down the Home Stretch

Enjoy!
10/9/2017 8:10 PM
It's that time again!

Quick post on Conference Championships!

GL!
10/12/2017 1:53 AM
Will be moving up after this season.
10/12/2017 2:38 PM
Ahh :( That was one heck of a game you just had vs Humboldt!
10/12/2017 2:49 PM
Posted a new article up.

Inches from Victory
10/12/2017 10:32 PM
1st round predictions are up, the link to the fancy playoff bracket is in the article!

10/13/2017 12:36 AM
Great, I get stuck playing TAMC... I'll try to make a game of it. GL Akua!!
10/13/2017 3:18 PM
Congrats to the teams who moved on!

GL tonight Linux_Box, your defense looks pretty stout.

Round 2 is live!

10/14/2017 12:40 AM
Halftime report

Saginaw Valley State leads Virginia state 21-15. Svsu looks amazing on offense at the moment and VSU is completing around 40% of their passes. It's surprising that the score is as close as it is, but this just may be what VSU needs to make a comeback for the second half.

Northern Michigan is up 14 - 10 over Ferris State at the half. FSU is controlling the clock and getting the job done on the ground, but they find themselves trailing at the half. We will have to wait and see if NM you can hold off a last quarter charge from coachoatie.

Valdosta State looks legit with a 14-0 lead at the half. Humboldt State is unable to get anything going on offense and only completing around 35% of their passes. In this one, look for VSU to seal the deal in the second half.

Cheney blows up the first half 38-7 over a Long Island and this is not even going to be a contest. Long Island is an excellent team, but this puts Cheney as one of the top favorites to win it all.

Winona State is up 27 - 14 over pace and both teams are actually moving the ball well as expected. This game is really coming down to turnovers, and Pace has two interceptions, plus has been feeling pressure all day. Unless something changes quickly I don't see Pace making a come back here if they're going to keep allowing pressure on their QB.

you know what? Bloomsburg actually has a shot at pulling out a second half when here over the favored Presbyterian. Presbyterian is only up 13 to 10 at the half and both teams have had the ball exactly 15 minutes each. I'm not really seeing a strength or weakness for either side as both teams are playing about as best as they can.

in a game of field goals West Chester finds themselves leading 13 - 3 over St Joseph's. There is nothing really pretty about this game is just a bloodbath going back and forth in a game of inches. Look for West Chester to wrap it up though in the second half.

TAMC puts on a defensive show blanking Midwestern State in the first half with a lead of 20-0. They have only allowed less than 50 yards of offense and had the ball for two and a half times longer,l. It's going to be tough for MSU to make up enough ground to pull this one out.
10/14/2017 1:58 PM
Well I'm not next to a computer tonight to do my updates so I'm going to do my best to try to predict the next round with my cell phone. Keep in mind that there might be some weird typos and whatnot so forgive me if you have to try to translate.

recapping the second round, Texas A&M Commerce, Northern Michigan, Valdosta State, Westchester, Presbyterian, Winona State, Cheney and Virginia state move on to the next round.

Trailing 21-15 at halftime, Virginia state rallies to win in overtime 42 - 39 over Saginaw Valley State ending the run. Impressive changes because it look like svsu was dominating the first half.

Now we find ourselves in the quarterfinals, and all of the teams that made it here deserve to be here.

Texas A&M Commerce versus Valdosta State

This is going to be a battle of the defense. Both teams feature excellent defensive units but both have significant drop offs after you pass their starting units. Texas has the #1 quarterback in division two in the #4 running back as well, and I think that may play the biggest factor in this game. Their receiving unit is not as great, and VSU's LB group is near Elite.

As I said both teams defensively are very sound, but you need points to win the game. Vsu's strength will come at tailback featuring a combo of running backs who are both inside the top 15. This team does utilize them, but they tend to lean on the pass quite a bit so it'll be interesting to see how the tactics romaine versus a stubborn LB unit.

This should be a great game and it could easily go either way depending on how luck falls. It's difficult to write about your own team sometimes, but I do see Texas edging this one out based on the offense of weapons and matchups.

Prediction: Texas A&M 31-24

Presbyterian versus West Chester

What a game this could possibly be, both teams are very equal across the board with very little weaknesses. Westchester is going to try to light up the scoreboard through the air but that's going to be difficult versus a stingy Presbyterian secondary that is probably the best in division 2 with three defensive backs ranked inside the top 10. They are a bit soft around the linebacker spot but pressure is going to be in abundance with one of the best defensive lines you can find in this year's talent pool.

Presbyterian has the second best quarterback and running back in the league, and they run a very balanced offense so they can attack you in different directions. With a strong offensive line, this will suit Presbyterian's style to try to keep the ball out of West Chester's hands which can often be the best defense forces and all pass team. WC's defensive line maybe a little stout for them to run well on but their linebacker core is probably the weaker of their defensive units so if they can get into the second level you might see some nice gains.

West Chester has a top 5 quarterback and a pair of wide receivers to utilize in this contest. As I said though, Presbyterian has probably the best group of elite defensive backs in the playoff tournament. With a great offense of line, their quarterback should get protection that he needs to drive the ball down the field and ultimately they will put points on the board in this game. The game does feel tilted towards the pass so I always feel like the receivers will have some sort of bonus versus equally match talent on defense.

Does West Chester have enough Firepower to power through the secondary that Presbyterian is bringing? It sure could, but I think they fall just short.

Prediction: Presbyterian 33-31

Cheney versus Virginia State

We discussed previously that Virginia state is strong in their secondary, offensive line and they have a top 10 wide receiver. However, Cheney is hands-down on a different level in tonight's event. They have easily the best offensive line in Division II and top 10 players all over the board.

Virginia state is going to have hard sledding all night long in this contest. They have done some amazing things this year pulling out some victories and we have to keep in mind they only lost by 2 points when they played Cheney earlier this season. We also have to realize that 14 of those points, came off of kickoff returns. Will they be that lucky to get that type of performance from Special Teams again? My guess is probably not, but before I rule out their chances, they performed an amazing comeback on a very good Saginaw Valley State team last round. Sometimes when you see the talent being less it does not mean that it will always translate to a loss on the field when you are passing. Something positive is working with VSU and we will have to wait and see if he can pull it off again.

Cheney is just a juggernaut this year, and I would normally say that I could easily see this year's championship being Northern Michigan versus Cheney with the level of talent and balance that both of those teams have. The only problem with this, is if Cheney wins they will have to play possibly Northern Michigan in the semifinals. Theyare loaded and have a top 10 player in every key offensive position plus a starting offensive line that is ranked all of them within the top 40. Plus, a shut down secondary, two linebackers in side the top five into defensive lineman inside the top 10.

Cheney doubled VSU's yardage in their first meeting and I really doubt they will get the same special team play to happen, I see them running away with this after the second half.

Prediction: Cheyney 38-13

Northern Michigan versus Winona State

Winona State has been playing like they are on a mission and that mission may very well in tonight. Northern Michigan is coming into this game with some players that Winona state has not had to face all season. Northern Michigan is also not past the quarterfinals in the past two seasons, and the playoff curse could continue.

WSU has a top 10 quarterback and a top 20 running back but their highlight is the #2 WR Earl Hannah. They have thrown to Hannah 132 times this season racking up 27 touchdowns, but that is right in the middle between the running back and tight in in receptions. A fairly balanced passing attack may be good in this situation. Their defense could get them into trouble early, as only three players are ranked inside the top 100.

Northern Michigan not only has the top 5 quarterback but they have the best running back and wide receiver in Division II. In addition, his backup is a top 5 running back any top 10 wide receiver. Of course they have a strong offensive line and defensive line, they also boast to top 10 linebackers and the #1 and #2 defensive backs. It's really just an insane amount of weapons and talent that's very well-balanced for any game.

if Winona State is going to have any success they are going to have to find some matchups and get some help from some big special teams plays. It's possible they could pull this one it's possible they could pull this one out, but Northern Michigan is very difficult to to stay with for all four quarters.

Prediction: Northern Michigan 42-23

Fancy Playoff Bracket is updated.

10/15/2017 1:07 AM (edited)
Well hello Virginia state, what a game they played against Cheney. I honestly didn't expect it to turn out the way it did but great job for Cheney to close it out.

It was one big barn burner as both teams put up well over 500 yards and their defenses were somewhat irrelevant. I was saying before, that VSU was fortunate to get two kickoff returns for touchdowns in their last meeting, well they got an 80 yard punt return in this one. VSU had a chance to win the game around the two-minute mark in the 4th quarter, but threw their first interception on their own 9-yard line which allowed Cheney to move up by 10 points with a 48-38 lead. They were still able to drive down the field and score again, but it was not enough and they ended up losing this one 48-44.

Really great season for Virginia state who will have to look forward to next year, and Cheney moves on to the semi-finals.

Northern Michigan got it done once again to find their way to the semi-finals but they played a very tough Winona State team. Elite RB Bonilla put in some work rushing for almost 326 yards and caught for 120. The game was pretty much back and forth until around three minutes in the second quarter when Northern Michigan put together a couple drives that allowed them to take the lead at the half 35-21. Both teams played equally in the second half so Winona state was not able to make up any ground and they go home after a 52-37 loss. It was an impressive performance by Winona State who gained over 500 yards of total offense on one of the best defenses in the league.

Winona State, will see you on the recruiting trail in northern Michigan we will see you vs Cheney in the semi-finals.

Man oh man, did I get this one completely wrong. West Chester puts up over 500 yards through the air against one of the best secondaries in our league. How in the world was this possible? It's quite simple actually, a very good game plan targeting is running backs and amassing 30 receptions for 272 yards and two touchdowns. One of the analysis last night was that if there was a weak point in the Stout defense in might be at the linebacker core. But before we go and say it was all an offensive effort that won this game, it was actually their defense that stepped up and got two interceptions versus the senior quarterback which is not an easy task. Out of 16 drives for Presbyterian, West Chester stopped 13 of them and got a safety on one of them.

Presbyterian had a great season, this was one outstanding team and just because they lost it really doesn't represent just how good they are and how much credit West Chester should get. This game was close at the half this game was close at the half with Presbyterian losing 16 - 14 but it wasn't in the cards for the second half and they just couldn't convert when they needed to.

Presbyterian falls out of the tournament to seek vengeance next season, and West Chester makes it finally to the makes it finally to the semi-finals.

The last game, Texas A&M Commerce showed up when they needed to vs a great Valdosta State team. After an early fumble in one of the early drives of the game it look like this one would be a real nail-biter as both teams were tied 14-14 at the half.

Valdosta State found success early in the passing game against what should have been a good secondary. It appeared they were out gaining at the half and they were converting much better on third downs. But in the second team it was both of the teams that struggled to complete their drives and it just turned out that Texas was able to get more points on the board.

both teams ran into a defensive wall on both sides and did the best that they could but it just turned out the Texas got a little bit of sim love on this one when we needed it to finish our drives. Fairly even stats, penalties and nothing that really and nothing that really stood out as being a big difference maker.

Valdosta State looks to make a strong run next year, and Texas A&M Commerce will head up against a very strong passing attack at West Chester.

I will be somewhat away from the computer tonight, but to recap on what's happening...

Semi-Finals

Cheney (waregl72) vs (Spthibodeu) Northern Michigan

Texas A&M-Commerce (akua29) vs (2000champou) West Chester

just like last year, I'm not going to try to predict who wins going forward and congrats to all coaches who made it this far and those that participated in this year's tournament.

Recap coming Wednesday night, good luck!
10/15/2017 9:32 PM (edited)
That was a heck of a national championship game,

Congratulations Spthibodeu on a well earned season!

Full recap Wednesday night!

TAMC vs Northern Michigan
10/17/2017 4:43 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
S136 D2 Playoffs (National Champions) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.