Wonder what the thinking is Topic

does anybody know why when the AC hands out schollys at the end of the recruiting period, to fill your class, why they don't grab guys that are green for you, yet may not be your first choice?
9/24/2017 11:06 PM
Others may know differently, but I have never seen any of the leftover recruits sign anywhere. The AC schollys just appear from nowhere, maybe that's why there generally referred to as walk-ons?
9/25/2017 7:30 AM
That may be true. I never understood what the thinking on that is, I can understand if you don't have recruits that are green, but to have a few kids sitting there "considering you" and end up with your AC giving out a scholly to a kid that has no business being on your roster is absurd.

While I know nothing will get done to explain the thinking behind this or fix it, it does feel good to vent.
9/25/2017 7:52 AM
If they are green for you and you have had 7 days to recruit, why aren't you spending $100 to offer them a scholly? Why are you leaving it up to the hands that be to fill your roster?
9/25/2017 8:13 AM
I don't get it - if he is considering you, why don't you give him the scholarship? Is this a situation where you're playing chicken and time runs out?
9/25/2017 8:15 AM
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/25/2017 8:15:00 AM (view original):
I don't get it - if he is considering you, why don't you give him the scholarship? Is this a situation where you're playing chicken and time runs out?
My only guess is that he ran out of money and the coach that was battling for that recruit signed his limit and the recruit turned back green to him.
9/25/2017 9:27 AM
What happened is that I was recruiting for a LB and QB and I put a scholly on those 2. However I had others at those positions that weren't my first choice but down the road would be beneficial (hopefully). I have 17 schollys to fill and within the hour I expect 15 to sign. Thatt leaves those two green with 4 dollars in my budget.

Again it really comes down to the oddity that your AC and you don't really work together for whatever team your coaching. Its been ages since I have had to take on a "walk on". Im just saying that why doesn't the AC give out schollys (to fill out the roster) on those recruits that are actually considering you?
9/25/2017 11:29 AM
What you describe *is* logical, but I suppose walk-on's are used as a form of punishment for not budgeting correctly (not meant as a slam on you, btw).
9/25/2017 12:40 PM
I'm not sure any program in "real life" would use walk ons as a punishment. The other part that I forgot to mention is if I hadn't spent as much as I did in knocking off Sims, I would have had plenty. If sims had to follow some sort of a budget or follow the same rules that we do that would make a difference. In the thinking of WIS I can see where your coming from. Oh well will be interesting to see what art & philosophy majors the AC gets for me and then sends me an email stating that I will be pleased with his effort or some line of garbage.
9/25/2017 3:15 PM
Believe me, I get you. Worst situation I ever found myself in was when the Asst signed a walk on Kicker, when I had a Punter that was going to do double duties.
Guy was awful. I ended up wasting a redshirt on him to make sure that he *didn't* kick.
9/25/2017 4:05 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/25/2017 4:05:00 PM (view original):
Believe me, I get you. Worst situation I ever found myself in was when the Asst signed a walk on Kicker, when I had a Punter that was going to do double duties.
Guy was awful. I ended up wasting a redshirt on him to make sure that he *didn't* kick.
Just did that- Redshirt a guy then will cut him next season. Funny thing is, when I ran out of $, I knew that was gonna happen. Forgot about it until it was too late.
9/25/2017 4:42 PM
Thanxs guys for letting me vent and hopefully the "WIS" gods will smile on me and I wont get somebody to bad. It just irks me that the AC and coach don't work together. I forget that he does post really good players that he has scouted (4 times) a year and posts them to "our" board. I cant remember the last time I actually found one of those recruits to be worth anything. On a side note the two that are green for me are nothing but depth and maybe by the time they are seniors would be able to contribute.

Have submitted a ticket to see what the voices will say.
9/25/2017 5:57 PM
I think you're "concerns" will fall on deaf ears. I don't think anyone is going to sympathize with you not being able to sign GREEN recruits just because you ran out of dough lol.
9/25/2017 8:23 PM
Posted by jayhawkgrant on 9/25/2017 8:23:00 PM (view original):
I think you're "concerns" will fall on deaf ears. I don't think anyone is going to sympathize with you not being able to sign GREEN recruits just because you ran out of dough lol.
The point is not about running out of dough, but more about you and your AC working together as in real life. Its amazing that while this is just a game, certain aspects are defended by "as in real life" while others are not. While this may be a "trivial" issue in the big picture it really should not be this way. Heck it would be nice if ur AC would give a scholly to a recruit that you have at least put some action on, even if they are still undecided, instead of finding out that you just got the captain of the chess club.
9/26/2017 12:11 PM (edited)
Flip side is that coaches would take advantage of this. Theoretically, if that is how it worked, you could turn most of your available recruits "green" and not apply a scholarship to them (knowing your AC would sign them regardless) and then use that $100/recruit money to go after another player. I hear what you're saying, but coaches would find a way to abuse this.
9/26/2017 1:22 PM
12 Next ▸
Wonder what the thinking is Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.