New to posting, but not the game - Recruiting. Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2017 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Were the "other people" good at the game? If so, you shouldn't have tweaked them. You took steps backwards.
Truth,If it ain't broke, don't fix it! But I doubt many would freely share a spot on formula unless they were looking for enhancements aka 'tweaks'. Youre HD spreadsheets need a few enhancements Mike. Longevity isn't much of a priority it seems..
9/26/2017 6:25 PM
I also use spreadsheets, for scouting, for recruiting, and for game planning, and even one for projecting how many games each team in my conference will win in conference. For recruiting, I project out future ratings and rank players based on a formula I've developed to rank players for each position that I built them from scratch. The formula definitely drew on commentary from the forums re relative value of attributes at various positions, from which I developed 4 different original formulas to see which seemed to be better over time. I ended up going with a tweaked version of one of them that I am pretty happy with, but look at it again every season. As I am only in one world, the spreadsheets aren't as automated as they could be, though. Honestly, working on and refining various aspects of these spreadsheets is the source of a large part of my enjoyment of the game.
9/27/2017 12:25 AM
My crucial recipe for success comes from my spreadsheet work for finding top recruits.

The first thing I do is I use my scouting to maximize as much level 3 or more as possible, when you can get the colors on the skills you can project what their rating will ultimately be. Once I have all that list, I put all the data into spreadsheet and run VBA Macro to generate what their fully potential rating would be, and then I weight more on certain skillset like Def & Ath over others like Blk. I also vary the weights depending on the player's position (for example PG will get more weight for Spd, bh, & pas).

Once I got everything, then i can sort out the player finalized rating score and determine from that who is best. But then after that it gets tricky a little as from there I start to do some manual work and go by gut instinct based on their Work Ethic and preferences who is the best player to recruit, but that is also one of the joyous of me playing in HD.

This formula served me huge success as I took my Sacramento State to top 20 RPI for 3 consecutive seasons and just had my best recruiting class yet.

Additional note is that how you weight the skillset should also depend on the Off/Def you running (FB & FCP should weight more on Stamina) and which team & division you are in. Because I am a lower power DI team I especially benefit from finding the diamonds in the rough when all the big guys get snatched by the better schools.
9/27/2017 5:10 AM
Posted by zagsrulez on 9/26/2017 6:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/26/2017 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Were the "other people" good at the game? If so, you shouldn't have tweaked them. You took steps backwards.
Truth,If it ain't broke, don't fix it! But I doubt many would freely share a spot on formula unless they were looking for enhancements aka 'tweaks'. Youre HD spreadsheets need a few enhancements Mike. Longevity isn't much of a priority it seems..
I don't use spreadsheets for HD. Maybe I should but my dismal season after my FF appearance wouldn't have been prevented with spreadsheets. I lost 3 PG targets to D1 teams late in consecutive years. Hard to win when you can't get the ball past mid-court.
9/27/2017 7:26 AM
◂ Prev 12
New to posting, but not the game - Recruiting. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.