Practice Minutes for IQ Topic

Posted by zagsrulez on 12/20/2017 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 12/20/2017 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Couple days late on this one.... But for those of you that use 30 minutes in each set, how in the world do your players improve at all?! I took over a terrible team, just started with them. And I'm changing O&D. I'm prepared to have rough seasons, no biggie.

But with 25 minutes in each set, there's already not many minutes to spread around for growth. Isn't the rule of thumb that 7 holds steady in the cores, and 3 in PER/LP? Using those numbers, if you want growth, i would expect the bottom line to be 8 min and 4 for PER/LP. If you have a freshman with 10 in study hall, you got a bunch of 9's down the page. Barely any double digit practice categories.

Am I wrong on the minimums? Or do you just accept that your players aren't going to improve much that season when using 30 min or more for you O/D sets?
Please correct me if my rules are harmful: i don’t practice skills that are under 20 points and I don’t put in study hall minutes unless a kid is borderline after midterms. Leaves plenty of time left for core skills and O/D
I agree with the under 20 part, roughly. But study hall i always keep at10 the freshman year and decrease accordingly. I usually end up with smart players, and maybe I use just a feeeeew too many study hall minutes. Not much tho. But I'd rather do that, than have a player sit out for grades just cuz i was 2 minutes short on study hall. That would me horrible
12/20/2017 6:00 PM
Posted by mamxet on 12/20/2017 5:50:00 PM (view original):
In my experience, a guy who is red and has okay WE - say 50 or more - can go to zero mins in that category and not lose anything that shows (likely some decimal loss)

Low WE maybe keep a min or two.

If you hate losing even a point or two in an orange guy, keep a few mins there - but you wont need 7

Try it out - will vary with WE and mins etc etc
Will do. I never thought to experiment with it. Because i thought it was a set in stone type of number. And every coach did it, and that's that.
12/20/2017 6:03 PM
I think the 7 and 3 guidance is good for guys who are in the black. Red/orange, you can conserve.
12/20/2017 6:12 PM
Posted by oldwarrior on 12/8/2017 9:46:00 AM (view original):
I just ran a test with two teams using different practice minutes. One team was set to 30 minutes offense, 20 minutes defense. The other 20 minutes offense, 30 minutes defense.

When comparing the amount of time it took players to improve the same letter grade by the same players:
at 20 minutes; 284 practices 5680 minutes
at 30 minutes; 226 practices 6780 minutes

that folks is diminishing returns.
The tradeoff of quicker improvement shows I lost about 20% of the extra ten minutes.
Thanks oldwarrior! Just revisited this forum first time in a couple years. Lots and lots of great input from lots of great coaches. This post stood out though. I haven’t noticed a difference that big, not something I would notice. So going to take that test run into account. I’ve also noticed HS GPA having a bigger impact than I used to think.
1/23/2021 10:01 AM
◂ Prev 1234
Practice Minutes for IQ Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.