Practice Minutes for IQ Topic

Posted by cubcub113 on 12/8/2017 8:32:00 PM (view original):
I have heard an incredibly successful high DI coach says he uses 30.
there also was a highly successful coach earlier in the thread that inferred 120 minutes improves IQ 6 times quicker than 20 minutes.

If you're at high D1, and often losing EE's, 25-30 (or even more) minutes is certainly a way to get the young guys up to speed.
12/8/2017 9:39 PM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/8/2017 8:41:00 PM (view original):
I use 25 because a successful user told me to. Gets everyone to at least B- by the NT.
Following up on this. Just took over D1 team coached by SIMAI. 20 minutes in each set. Everyone is B- or better.

That's the first observation which makes me wonder if 25 is overkill. Second observation that SIMMY seems to value smart dudes. All GPA over 3. Could that be why his 20 seems to equal my 25?
12/18/2017 8:51 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2017 8:51:00 AM (view original):
I use 25 because a successful user told me to. Gets everyone to at least B- by the NT.
Following up on this. Just took over D1 team coached by SIMAI. 20 minutes in each set. Everyone is B- or better.

That's the first observation which makes me wonder if 25 is overkill. Second observation that SIMMY seems to value smart dudes. All GPA over 3. Could that be why his 20 seems to equal my 25?
IQ improves quicker with more practice minutes, higher WE, and higher high school GPA. College GPA is not a part of the equation (I'm kind of assuming this is what you were implying with your last question?).
12/18/2017 9:06 AM
It was. College GPA over 3. Be back in a minute after I check WE for my D3, old D2 and current D1.
12/18/2017 9:12 AM
No discernible difference. Only looking at FR, even the 36 WE is B- in both sets(25m) with one game left in the D3 reg.
D1 FR, 42 WE with 20m is B-.
D2 FR, 40/19 WE are B in D set, B- in O set with 25m.
12/18/2017 9:25 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 12/18/2017 9:06:00 AM (view original):

IQ improves quicker with more practice minutes, higher WE, and higher high school GPA. College GPA is not a part of the equation (I'm kind of assuming this is what you were implying with your last question?).
What is College GPA used for besides determining eligibility then? I might have to start skimping on Study Hall minutes again if theres no incentive to have a kid obtain good grades besides getting over the 2.0 benchmark for eligibility.
12/18/2017 10:31 AM
Posted by zagsrulez on 12/18/2017 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 12/18/2017 9:06:00 AM (view original):

What is College GPA used for besides determining eligibility then? I might have to start skimping on Study Hall minutes again if theres no incentive to have a kid obtain good grades besides getting over the 2.0 benchmark for eligibility.
At some point, I would love to see recruits have a preference based on academics (which would be determined by team GPA).

Other than ongoing eligibility, the only other time it matters is with ineligibles at D1 because a player has to have a GPA over 2.7 to get the fifth season.
12/18/2017 11:17 AM

at 20 minutes per practice, the "Average" recruit (50WE & 3.0 gpa) should improve from F to B- in about 31 practices. Which is just about the start of the CT with 3 practices remaining.
I've had a quick learner (98WE & 3.4) this season do it in 22 practices. But I've had others take over 40, which is 6+ practices into the second season.

at 25 minutes per practice, usually closer to 26 total practices from F to B-, leaving 8 practices that first season to move closer to the B.
12/18/2017 12:50 PM (edited)
Thanks. It's just a few minutes per practice but I'm trying to eek every bit of potential from some of these guys.
12/18/2017 12:50 PM
Couple days late on this one.... But for those of you that use 30 minutes in each set, how in the world do your players improve at all?! I took over a terrible team, just started with them. And I'm changing O&D. I'm prepared to have rough seasons, no biggie.

But with 25 minutes in each set, there's already not many minutes to spread around for growth. Isn't the rule of thumb that 7 holds steady in the cores, and 3 in PER/LP? Using those numbers, if you want growth, i would expect the bottom line to be 8 min and 4 for PER/LP. If you have a freshman with 10 in study hall, you got a bunch of 9's down the page. Barely any double digit practice categories.

Am I wrong on the minimums? Or do you just accept that your players aren't going to improve much that season when using 30 min or more for you O/D sets?
12/20/2017 5:29 PM
keep in mind, the best balance between individual and team practice is affected in part by how much potential your guys have. If you have guys who are red or orange in lots of categories, that lets you improve in the others

note to topdog - red and orange are key to the answer to your example - it does not take 7 or 3 to hold a red or orange category. In my experience, you will lose very little with zero or near zero mins in a red category
12/20/2017 5:41 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 12/20/2017 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Couple days late on this one.... But for those of you that use 30 minutes in each set, how in the world do your players improve at all?! I took over a terrible team, just started with them. And I'm changing O&D. I'm prepared to have rough seasons, no biggie.

But with 25 minutes in each set, there's already not many minutes to spread around for growth. Isn't the rule of thumb that 7 holds steady in the cores, and 3 in PER/LP? Using those numbers, if you want growth, i would expect the bottom line to be 8 min and 4 for PER/LP. If you have a freshman with 10 in study hall, you got a bunch of 9's down the page. Barely any double digit practice categories.

Am I wrong on the minimums? Or do you just accept that your players aren't going to improve much that season when using 30 min or more for you O/D sets?
Please correct me if my rules are harmful: i don’t practice skills that are under 20 points and I don’t put in study hall minutes unless a kid is borderline after midterms. Leaves plenty of time left for core skills and O/D
12/20/2017 5:42 PM
I'm running a little experiment at UNC Asheville since I'm changing D. I have 3 FR.
Tebo Offense-F Defense-D 3.11 GPA, 63 WE
Bonds Both-F 3.27 GPA, 81 WE
Buie Both-F 3.09 GPA, 47 WE

22 minutes in O, 25 in D. Tebo will start, Buie will get plenty of PT, Bonds won't play much.

Theoretically, with around an extra 95-100m of practice, one would think they players would improve just a little more in D(with the possible exception of Tebo as he starts higher).

Gonna try to update every 10 practices or so.
12/20/2017 5:46 PM
Wow. Ok. And i understand if you got a team that's heavy upperclassmen, it doesn't hurt as much. I know you don't need big minutes in red and orange. All the basics of course.

BUT.... I thought that once a player reached that red and orange, you could only decrease down to 7 or 3. BIG eye opener there. Now it all makes more sense. Thank you.
12/20/2017 5:46 PM
In my experience, a guy who is red and has okay WE - say 50 or more - can go to zero mins in that category and not lose anything that shows (likely some decimal loss)

Low WE maybe keep a min or two.

If you hate losing even a point or two in an orange guy, keep a few mins there - but you wont need 7

Try it out - will vary with WE and mins etc etc
12/20/2017 5:50 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Practice Minutes for IQ Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.