The problem with second session recruiting Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
All good ideas. If only they would be implemented.
10/1/2017 7:26 PM
One session is enough....
10/1/2017 8:06 PM
Posted by zorzii on 10/1/2017 8:06:00 PM (view original):
haha
10/1/2017 8:40 PM
Truth.
10/1/2017 8:51 PM
Amen.
10/1/2017 9:57 PM
One session AFTER JOBS
10/1/2017 10:23 PM
chapel's UConn team has signed the #3, #8, and #46 overall players in the country, plus a strong international from Montreal. By my count, which could be wrong, he might have to take two walk-ons.

This is coming off a 29-3 season with a sweet 16 and #7 national ranking.

I'm at a loss to understand what chapel is complaining about here.
10/1/2017 10:29 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 10/1/2017 10:29:00 PM (view original):
chapel's UConn team has signed the #3, #8, and #46 overall players in the country, plus a strong international from Montreal. By my count, which could be wrong, he might have to take two walk-ons.

This is just an example. Chapel's class is good but that's not the point.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=3352
10/1/2017 10:36 PM
Posted by kcsundevil on 10/1/2017 10:29:00 PM (view original):

The main complaint is that an A+ team should not lose a recruit at a D2 team if they really want them. I am all about realism.

Your assessment about the team is correct. I had a good recruiting period this time, but I could have missed on a couple of the ones I got, and then I would have had 4 walk-ons. I just think that it needs some kind of fix. This is especially true for someone taking over a new team after a job change.

At Illinois, I have 6 players that could go EE and have two openings. It's going to be very difficult if I get hit as hard as I think. And again, going back to realism, if a team has 6 players turn pro, it would be a program that a lot of players would want to come to in real life, and if they started getting calls and letters from the program, and a scholarship was about to be offered, they would not just sign with a D2 team.
10/1/2017 11:20 PM
But you didn't really want the third cycle recruit -- they were far down your priority list -- and the D2 team really wanted the recruit. At some point in the process it's reasonable for a recruit to refuse to change their plans just because of a last-minute invitation from Roy Williams to be the last man off UNC's bench.

I actually used to completely agree with your perspective. But the more weak dog-whistle arguments I see from entitled coaches about EEs, the more I'm becoming a 3.0 convert.
10/1/2017 11:30 PM
This guy was actually pretty good. He probably would have been a starter by his Junior year, and also for his senior year. And this is not just about EEs. It also really affects a coach that takes over a team.
10/1/2017 11:38 PM
The broader point here is that a player like Singletary is fairly easy to get for a high level program - sometimes with no fight whatsoever - if he's a target from the start.

I'm a proponent of realism, too. I want the game to feel as real as possible, with allowances made for good, competitive and non-tedious gameplay. Because gameplay is the real priority for me, and I think for the game developers. And in basically 2 years of arguments about 3.0, I haven't seen a compelling argument for changes needed to make it easier for high level programs to stay at a high level in perpetuity. That's essentially what this is.

I think the game wants you to adjust your gameplay - or at least to think harder about it.

All that said, I do think there's an argument to be made for making job changes a little less harrowing. A few new jucos appearing in the second session would be a start, and I'd also like to see a new coach preference to counter the long term coach preference, and maybe a separate prestige factor that follows the coach success instead of the school.
10/2/2017 5:15 AM (edited)
"And in basically 2 years of arguments about 3.0, I haven't seen a compelling argument for changes needed to make it easier for high level programs to stay at a high level in perpetuity. That's essentially what this is." That bears repeating.
10/2/2017 10:43 AM
Posted by shoe3 on 10/2/2017 5:15:00 AM (view original):
The broader point here is that a player like Singletary is fairly easy to get for a high level program - sometimes with no fight whatsoever - if he's a target from the start.

I'm a proponent of realism, too. I want the game to feel as real as possible, with allowances made for good, competitive and non-tedious gameplay. Because gameplay is the real priority for me, and I think for the game developers. And in basically 2 years of arguments about 3.0, I haven't seen a compelling argument for changes needed to make it easier for high level programs to stay at a high level in perpetuity. That's essentially what this is.

I think the game wants you to adjust your gameplay - or at least to think harder about it.

All that said, I do think there's an argument to be made for making job changes a little less harrowing. A few new jucos appearing in the second session would be a start, and I'd also like to see a new coach preference to counter the long term coach preference, and maybe a separate prestige factor that follows the coach success instead of the school.
I think a lot of the recruiting angst in 3.0 would go away if the second session featured new jucos.
10/2/2017 11:25 AM
1|2|3...16 Next ▸
The problem with second session recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.