IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD Topic

Posted by tangplay on 10/10/2017 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jmcraven74 on 10/10/2017 1:19:00 PM (view original):
For me, it's the fact they are doing anything to protest the the flag and the USA when the acts they are being told to be upset about are not committed by the USA or anyone acting on its behalf.

And it's unhealthy for our nation. Instead of these guys raising funds for defense lawyers or DNA exonerations or even funding a netflix documentary on police brutality in certain cities, they are kneeling. It's a juvenile gesture that promotes an attitude of rebellion against authority. It leads to FIVE OFFICERS GETTING KILLED IN DALLAS, a city where there were no incidents of police shooting black men.

There's a fundamental lack of common sense in this debate. Do people in the USA have the right to protest the flag- yeah, a Conservative, Justice Scalia wrote the opinion that says that its Constitutional to burn the flag in protest, but you really need to step back and ask yourself if what is going on is really helping the situation or is just designed to get people to react emotionally to something they really have very little actual knowledge about.

People are too caught up in this theoretical debate about free speech rights and not looking at what is actually going on when the anthem stops playing.

click $, click $, click $
We are not saying that anyone supports police brutality and vice versa or that I necessarily support kneeling. The problem is when Donald Trump and Jerry Jones fire players who PEACEFULLY and RESPECTFULLY protest.
Jerry Jones has every right. Trump needs to stay the F away from the situation. A president should never comment on who a private company hires or fires.
10/10/2017 6:14 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 10/10/2017 6:01:00 PM (view original):
monkeys with a bomb
10/10/2017 6:16 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 10/10/2017 6:14:00 PM (view original):
For me, it's the fact they are doing anything to protest the the flag and the USA when the acts they are being told to be upset about are not committed by the USA or anyone acting on its behalf.

And it's unhealthy for our nation. Instead of these guys raising funds for defense lawyers or DNA exonerations or even funding a netflix documentary on police brutality in certain cities, they are kneeling. It's a juvenile gesture that promotes an attitude of rebellion against authority. It leads to FIVE OFFICERS GETTING KILLED IN DALLAS, a city where there were no incidents of police shooting black men.

There's a fundamental lack of common sense in this debate. Do people in the USA have the right to protest the flag- yeah, a Conservative, Justice Scalia wrote the opinion that says that its Constitutional to burn the flag in protest, but you really need to step back and ask yourself if what is going on is really helping the situation or is just designed to get people to react emotionally to something they really have very little actual knowledge about.

People are too caught up in this theoretical debate about free speech rights and not looking at what is actually going on when the anthem stops playing.

We are not saying that anyone supports police brutality and vice versa or that I necessarily support kneeling. The problem is when Donald Trump and Jerry Jones fire players who PEACEFULLY and RESPECTFULLY protest.
Jerry Jones has every right. Trump needs to stay the F away from the situation. A president should never comment on who a private company hires or fires.
I will agree with that.
10/10/2017 6:28 PM
Posted by jmcraven74 on 10/10/2017 6:10:00 PM (view original):

Jones is the boss. He makes the rules. Just like the boss that says McDonald's employees wear uniforms instead of America Sucks t-shirts.

America. Where business owners have rights, too.
Fair enough. If Jones does not believe that, he can enact will.

My problem was that trump obviously played a part.

And, that Jones allows Greg Hardy but not protesters.
10/10/2017 6:29 PM
Posted by jmcraven74 on 10/10/2017 6:10:00 PM (view original):

Jones is the boss. He makes the rules. Just like the boss that says McDonald's employees wear uniforms instead of America Sucks t-shirts.

America. Where business owners have rights, too.
I think Jones can tell his players to stand. He pays them and they are on his time when they kneel. If they don't want to stand, they can stay in the locker room. Donald Trump does not have the right to tell the players anything. He is not their boss. He does not pay them. All he is doing is trying to make sure everything is about him. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump doesn't really care what the players do during the anthem (after all, this is the same guy who needed to be reminded by his immigrant wife to put his hand over his heart during the anthem) but knows it is a hot topic and saw a way to create havoc by telling the players to stand.
10/10/2017 6:33 PM
Ding, ding ding
10/10/2017 7:04 PM
ding ding ding
10/10/2017 7:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by strikeout26 on 10/10/2017 9:59:00 PM (view original):
My biggest issue with all of this is that Goodell is a hypocrite. When players wanted to wear a patch honoring the victims of 9/11 he said "no", but he is just now really saying anything about this. Either keep your league completely apolitical or allow both political sides to have a voice.

Yes but not on the field of play. Play ball and do anything you want away from the workplace. My opinion......
10/10/2017 11:21 PM
I am not surprised by the Monday Night Football game's low ratings. I certainly had NO interest in watching the Vikings play the Bears........... Did anybody score a TD?
10/10/2017 11:38 PM
Posted by Tucker T's on 10/10/2017 11:21:00 PM (view original):
My biggest issue with all of this is that Goodell is a hypocrite. When players wanted to wear a patch honoring the victims of 9/11 he said "no", but he is just now really saying anything about this. Either keep your league completely apolitical or allow both political sides to have a voice.

Yes but not on the field of play. Play ball and do anything you want away from the workplace. My opinion......
I agree. I'm just saying that if you are going to allow don't pick and choose which issues you allow.
10/10/2017 11:46 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 10/10/2017 11:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Tucker T's on 10/10/2017 11:21:00 PM (view original):

I agree. I'm just saying that if you are going to allow don't pick and choose which issues you allow.

Godell ain't no Pete Rozelle -- if you're old enough to remember him .... :- )
10/11/2017 9:56 AM
I was two when he retired, but he sounds impressive. Adam Silver is really friggin good too. He has saved the NBA. MLB needs a guy like one of those two.
10/11/2017 10:17 AM
Why has every Commissioner of every sport in the last 50 years been Jewish? After you call me an anti-Semite, please answer the question without using a stereotype. I dare you.

Very few athletes of the 4 major sports are Jewish, but 100% of the Commishes have been
10/11/2017 10:24 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
IF YOU HAVEN'T HEARD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.