Price update still coming today? Topic

This site has been languishing for several years, and the scam of "dynamic pricing" is merely a symptom. The annual release of another season of players provides ample opportunity to overhaul play to make it more accurate and interesting, from restraining the domination of dead-ball pitchers to making play reflect the quality of outfield arms. If done properly, this would make individual players more or less useful in particular stadiums or team configurations. But that would require a year's investment of time and money.
10/11/2017 11:43 AM
Please drop the dynamic salary increases Mr Seble. All this does is increase high cap leagues which increases player salaries which increases high cap leagues which increasse player salaries which increases high cap leagues which increases player salaries which increases ...
And there's fewer and fewer skills left for OLs and lower salary cap leagues., dump it and flush it says Rickey.
10/11/2017 12:19 PM
I don't think anyone would really cry if Seble just decided to skip this particular round of dynamic pricing updates.
10/11/2017 12:31 PM
Sorry, I'd rather not go back to the days of no salary changes for years and years and everyone's figured out which players are the cookies you "need" to win OLs. Dynamic pricing has its faults (most of which could be eliminated if only OL usages were counted) but at least we all have to actually think about who we're going to draft now.
10/11/2017 12:34 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 10/11/2017 12:34:00 PM (view original):
Sorry, I'd rather not go back to the days of no salary changes for years and years and everyone's figured out which players are the cookies you "need" to win OLs. Dynamic pricing has its faults (most of which could be eliminated if only OL usages were counted) but at least we all have to actually think about who we're going to draft now.
I agree. There are a bunch of ways to tinker with dynamic pricing to make it better. (My preference would be to compare how often a player is used to how often similar priced players are used, and use that to move prices up/down. Just using OLs, or just using leagues under $120M would work too.) But going back to the old days, where the same boring players were used over and over again, would be terrible.
10/11/2017 12:46 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 10/11/2017 12:34:00 PM (view original):
I don't think anyone would mind if seble skipped THIS PARTICULAR dynamic salary update. Do you think this one update is really going to change anything? All of the exact same players are going to go up again.

Maybe that 4 months gives him time to refactor how they're done. Maybe it doesn't, and they just resume how they were working in February.

I'm definitely not advocating getting rid of dynamic pricing.
10/11/2017 12:56 PM
jfranco, to be clear my post wasn't written as a response to you but as a response to those saying dynamic pricing should be scrapped. I agree that skipping one update wouldn't be bad.
10/11/2017 12:59 PM
0/11 11:43 Commissioner Quick update: We're planning to add the 2017 players and do the next dynamic salary update on the 18th or 19th. Thanks for your patience.
10/11/2017 1:19 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 10/10/2017 7:26:00 PM (view original):
It has not happened yet. These are the prices after June's update:

Season LName FName Position Franchise BaseSalary Salary
1921 Ruth Babe OF New York Yankees 17817715 25045352
1923 Ruth Babe OF New York Yankees 17302114 24002264
1901 Lajoie Nap 2B Philadelphia Athletics 14143902 21950428
2004 Bonds Barry OF San Francisco Giants 16437619 21123296
1927 Gehrig Lou 1B New York Yankees 13669251 20924936
1911 Cobb Ty OF Detroit Tigers 12571648 19472440
1894 Duffy Hugh OF Boston Beaneaters 13583300 18795644
1924 Hornsby Rogers 2B St. Louis Cardinals 13189968 18592050
1920 Ruth Babe OF New York Yankees 14840140 18102554
1941 Williams Ted OF Boston Red Sox 12722311 17848184
I didn't realize Ruth was so expensive after the last update!
10/11/2017 2:37 PM
I think everyone can agree that making lines of statistics try and play baseball against each other is really, really hard. My (totally unsolicited) gripe with this site is not they're trying to make their product better (there are thousands of seasons, if some get priced out of a certain cap then it's a great opportunity for us to find the next crop of hidden gems at that level), it's that their pace of innovation is so.... soo.... sooooooo slow.

I've been building $12 teams on this site on and off for over 10 years, and I'm dumbfounded that some of the same annoying UI issues haven't been addressed in all that time. Just off the top of my head: why can't we drag and drop players around the lineup? Why can't the pitching search parameters be saved separately while I'm searching for hitters (and vice versa)? Why can't we draft from the entire history of a franchise at once? Why can't we choose an option to hide the final score and read the box score as if we're watching the game live? I'm sure you all can each come up with 10 more little fixes that would make the product so much better without breaking a sweat. And none of this has anything to do with the engine of SIM itself, which we all know needs continuous improvement as well.

I've watched engagement with this site wane over the decade-plus I've been lurking around, and I would argue a big part of that trend is general disenfranchisement and malaise due to the lack of any kind marked improvements, innovations, or evolutions to the experience of Sime League Baseball for us users. Do you realize that Air BnB and Uber were just ideas in people's heads when I created my account here? I'm not saying that SIM could be a $100 Billion company, but they can't even evolve their digital product to display properly on mobile devices? Really? You can't have the 2017 players ready a day or two after the season ends? What?

All I'm really saying is please, PLEASE, improve! If this round doesn't work out then do it again! Then do it again! Iterate! Listen to your customers! Solve their problems and develop cool new $hit that we haven't even thought of yet! Reach the people where they are, on their mobile devices. Egague with the younger generation, they love apps. You're a digital product, this shouldn't be so hard. Sim League Baseball is so incredibly fun, it's really sad that more of the baseball-loving world isn't here to enjoy it with us.
10/11/2017 4:10 PM (edited)
Why can't we choose an option to hide the final score and read the box score as if we're watching the game live?

Already exists. When you click on results you should see a choice of "play-by-play only" or "full boxscore."

But point taken, a lot of those things should have been implemented already.
10/11/2017 4:18 PM
I would never want to go back to the era of 08 Addie Joss that happened after Fox took over and then flat out did nothing for like 6 or 7 years which is why we ended up with complete stagnation not only of the game but of salaries. But this entirely inneficient and illogical "Dynamic pricing" is absurd. It's like they put together a completely failed attempt at a solution overnight just to give the customers the illusion that they actually cared and by the time we figured out what was really happening it was too late already because Fox entered into another indefinite state of complete hibernation.

From what had been explained in theory, the most used players would go up but the lesser use players would go down so that it was expected that the salaries would more or less even out. But as we all know that never did happen, there are pretty much no salaries going down, it's all going up and up and up. Why, because of course higher cap leagues pull everything up.
I say DROP IT until you fix it, not drop it forever to go back to stagnation. First, there need to be some type of reset to get back to where original salaries were at. Then introduce a better formula which won't have high cap leagues affect all salaries the way it's been happening. Actually the problem is mostly due to OL cookie abuse, in Theme Leagues there are enough restrictions to prevent this from happening. So why not only take into consideration OL player usage? I mean THAT Bip Rpberts or Miguel Dilone or Gary Carter or Addie Joss cookie abuse is mostly due to OLs drafting these players all the time. In themes you very rarely see these guys drafted.
I don't see how dramatic it could be to freeze salaries until Seble and, well his eventual Sports Hub helpers, can put together a formula which actually works.
10/11/2017 4:59 PM
Just so it doesn't seem that a vocal minority speaks for everyone, I think we're in a MUCH better place now with dynamic pricing changes. To be fair, this comes from someone who only plays progressives and open leagues anymore. It has made the open league experience way more fun. It's allowed me the opportunity to use lesser-known players who's salaries are going down (yes, there are players going down) and forced me away from some of the same old players that get overused.

As with everything in the game, the pricing system should continuously be evaluated, but from my perspective, we're moving in the right direction.
10/11/2017 5:28 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 10/11/2017 5:28:00 PM (view original):
Just so it doesn't seem that a vocal minority speaks for everyone, I think we're in a MUCH better place now with dynamic pricing changes. To be fair, this comes from someone who only plays progressives and open leagues anymore. It has made the open league experience way more fun. It's allowed me the opportunity to use lesser-known players who's salaries are going down (yes, there are players going down) and forced me away from some of the same old players that get overused.

As with everything in the game, the pricing system should continuously be evaluated, but from my perspective, we're moving in the right direction.
There are players going down? Not saying it's not the case but there are very few and they're not going down by much at all from what I've seen, actually I'd like to see a comparative list of salary decreases vs salary increases. In any cases it's not even close to "balancing out" the way the dynamic pricing was making it out to do for the simple reason that all players will eventually get used enough for their salaries to increase since the equation is including player usage from all leagues. Since The dynamic pricing is making most good players go up, there is a corresponding increase in high cap leagues, and we all know that there are very few low cap leagues to balance out. It's simple maths. With the current system salaries will keep on getting higher, it's a vacuum effect through the roof.
10/12/2017 10:11 AM
Any salaries going down are not going down at near the magnitude that the increased players are going up.
10/12/2017 10:21 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
Price update still coming today? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.