Rest & Defensive Rep Settings/considerations Topic

Anyone have any recommendations for these settings? I have a few sub par defenders who have good offensive potential that I would like to swap out for better defenders who have less offensive potential. I am looking to try and figure out how to maximize the chance of holding onto a 1 or 2 run lead late and not rest players to early when it might come back to bite me.

I noticed a nice scenario happen recently where a defender moved to a different position from say LF to RF and a new LF took over. I would like to try and make the best of those opportunities but it also appears that there is some sort of offensive consideration given to the defensive replacement section.
10/10/2017 8:48 PM
I use the rest depth chart to rest my top guys or low DUR guys in blowouts (something like a 5 run lead or deficit in the 5th or later, found in manager's settings)

I use the def replacement setting at 1 lead or more in the 9th (also found in manager's settings). Set your depth chart for the best possible defensive positioning. This could mean your SS shifts to 3B, your 3B shifts to RF, your RF shifts to 1B, and your 1B is benched (as an example). There is no offensive consideration given, you might be thinking of pinch hitting? If your depth chart for replacements is set correctly, your best defenders will come in.
10/10/2017 10:28 PM
I will sometimes use the Player Rest as a 2nd option for defensive replacements. For example, I will set the defensive replacement at 8th inning, up by 2 runs and then set Player Rest at 9th inning, up by 1 run. That way if I am up by 1 in the 8th, my better hitters will stay in to possibly extend the lead but if the lead stays at 1 run going into the 9th the defensive subs will come in because of my player rest setting.

10/11/2017 11:12 AM
Defensive reps I have usually come in for the 8th with a 2 run lead. 1 is too close. A defensive rep can't stop a home run or a walk.

Player rest is down 5 or up 6 in the 7th or later. I don't expect to come back from a 5 run deficit but I'd be ****** if I gave one up. Hence the difference. The player rest can extend your stars a few more games if their durability is low.
10/11/2017 11:42 AM
Thank you for some assistance with these settings. A few more questions if I may....should your everyday starters be listed at the top of the depth chart for each position of Player Rest and Defensive Replacement?

I have noticed that in Player Rest people do not appear to be shifting positions at all.

For example I have seen the current scenario several times. Under Rest Player A Is my starting first baseman and is listed first, Player B is a starter at a different position listed second and Player C is a bench sub. Player D is my starting right fielder and Player C is a bench sub listed second. Repeatedly I see Player C come in for Player D, Players A & B remain in their starting spots.

The same 3 players on my team continue to receive Rest and those players that get Rest seem to always be swapped out with a bench player 1:1.

It sounds like if i if I want Player A to rest it has to be set for a bench player to replace him first and that I cannot rely on multiple positional shifts to happen.

I would love to see the movement that brianplath described where several players shift around.

With Defensive Replacements it does appear that players who were already in the game may move from one position to another when the defensive subs come in but I haven't figured out how to get a handle on it yet.
10/11/2017 8:05 PM
For the results you want, you have to go through each level step by step.
Defensive subs, figure out your ideal alignment and lay it out. If you want starters switching positions this is where you do it.
Player rest, starters listed at the top won't come out. You need to move the backups above them.
You also need to remove starters if you don't want them playing other positions when you'd prefer them resting.
10/11/2017 9:38 PM
Posted by damag on 10/11/2017 9:38:00 PM (view original):
For the results you want, you have to go through each level step by step.
Defensive subs, figure out your ideal alignment and lay it out. If you want starters switching positions this is where you do it.
Player rest, starters listed at the top won't come out. You need to move the backups above them.
You also need to remove starters if you don't want them playing other positions when you'd prefer them resting.
Re:Rest...

players I have listed at the top are definitely being removed and the play by play says it is for Rest. Perhaps it's best to remove them (starters) entirely...
10/11/2017 10:14 PM
Rest & Defensive Rep Settings/considerations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.