Productive Outs Topic

Yes, avoiding outs will lead to more runs. Good job.
10/14/2017 10:53 PM
For a probability guru, you sure ignore probability when it hurts your narrative, bad_trump.

Let's try this. In the next game, Team A is going to strike out 17 times. Team B is going to strike out once. Which team is likely to have the most baserunners? Which team is likely to score the most runs?
10/14/2017 10:54 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/14/2017 10:54:00 PM (view original):
For a probability guru, you sure ignore probability when it hurts your narrative, bad_trump.

Let's try this. In the next game, Team A is going to strike out 17 times. Team B is going to strike out once. Which team is likely to have the most baserunners? Which team is likely to score the most runs?
What probability am I ignoring? I agree with you. The team that reaches base at a higher rate probably scored more runs.

Why are you still posting???
10/14/2017 10:55 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/14/2017 10:38:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 10/14/2017 10:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/14/2017 10:14:00 PM (view original):

Because they put the ball in play better than every other team. Could you be more dense?
Wait wait wait...are you arguing that a ball in play is better than a strikeout?
I think it's pretty clear what my position is on that and you're a moron if you think I'm getting sucked back into starting that whole debate again. If you've forgotten, there's a 50+ page thread you can go read to get caught up.

In regards to the Astros, they got on base more than any other team in part due to the fact that they put balls in play at a higher rate. You're the probability guy...which is more likely to get someone on base: a strikeout or a ball in play?
I guess you're getting sucked back in???
10/14/2017 10:56 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/14/2017 10:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/14/2017 10:54:00 PM (view original):

What probability am I ignoring? I agree with you. The team that reaches base at a higher rate probably scored more runs.

Why are you still posting???
So you agree with everyone. Perfect.

That's all you have to say - "I agree". Not necessary to post three pages of bullshit just so you have someone to talk to on a lonely Saturday night after your mom goes to bed.
10/14/2017 10:57 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 10/14/2017 10:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 10/14/2017 10:51:00 PM (view original):
The reason why these things go 50+ pages is because y'all argue what he's not arguing.

A strikeout isn't the same as a ball in play.

But a sac fly, and a sac bunt, and outs that move runners ARE better than strikeouts.

Please stay on those points, and don't start **** that he ain't arguin.
The point is, a team that strikes out at a lower rate puts more balls in play. bad_trump is refusing to acknowledge that correlation. You strike out less, you put more balls in play, which equals greater chance at baserunners.
I believe that but

BL believes a strikeout is just like any other out, which it isn't.

Then y'all focus on errors, and non-outs, which isn't what he's arguing which turns these into long ***, repetitive threads that I lose interest after 5 pages.
10/14/2017 10:59 PM
Yeah, ok. We agree that teams that reach base at a higher rate score more runs than teams that reach base at a lower rate.

Cool.

How they make those outs doesn't matter though.
10/14/2017 10:59 PM
Whatever you say bad_trump
10/14/2017 11:00 PM
10/14/2017 11:10 PM
According to PSBL, the following two scenarios are equivalent, because how outs are made doesn't matter.

1). Lead off hitter walks. Advances to second on a slow grounder to first (one out). Advances to third on a 4-3 ground out (two outs). Scores on a wild pitch. Last guy flies out (three outs).

2). Lead off hitter walks. Stays at first on a strikeout (one out). Stays at first on a strikeout (two outs). Advances to second on a wild pitch. Stranded on second on a strikeout (three outs).

10/14/2017 11:16 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 10/14/2017 11:16:00 PM (view original):
According to PSBL, the following two scenarios are equivalent, because how outs are made doesn't matter.

1). Lead off hitter walks. Advances to second on a slow grounder to first (one out). Advances to third on a 4-3 ground out (two outs). Scores on a wild pitch. Last guy flies out (three outs).

2). Lead off hitter walks. Stays at first on a strikeout (one out). Stays at first on a strikeout (two outs). Advances to second on a wild pitch. Stranded on second on a strikeout (three outs).

I mean, if we're going to reduce generalizations into specific scenarios, it can go both ways.

Tec thinks this:

Leadoff hitter walks. Second hitter grounds to second, 4-6-3. Two outs. Third hitter triples. Fourth hitter flies out. Inning over.

is better than this:

Leadoff hitter walks. Second hitter strikes out. Third hitter triples, run scores. Fourth hitter strikes out. Fifth hitter strikes out. Inning over.
10/14/2017 11:32 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/14/2017 11:32:00 PM (view original):

I mean, if we're going to reduce generalizations into specific scenarios, it can go both ways.

Tec thinks this:

Leadoff hitter walks. Second hitter grounds to second, 4-6-3. Two outs. Third hitter triples. Fourth hitter flies out. Inning over.

is better than this:

Leadoff hitter walks. Second hitter strikes out. Third hitter triples, run scores. Fourth hitter strikes out. Fifth hitter strikes out. Inning over.
Oh come on man. Now you’re comparing 2 outs to 1 out. Of course 1 out is better than 2 outs.
10/14/2017 11:38 PM
There were three outs in both innings.
10/14/2017 11:42 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/14/2017 11:32:00 PM (view original):

Tec thinks this:

is better than this:

I'll take the risk of a DP any day of the week. I always want my guys to put the ball in play.
10/14/2017 11:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 10/14/2017 11:42:00 PM (view original):
There were three outs in both innings.
Yes but the topic is, you think a strikeout is just like any other out.

Singular.

Out.

Now you’re comparing 1 out, to 2 outs, which isn’t the point.
10/15/2017 12:04 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...45 Next ▸
Productive Outs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.