How should I recruit differently? Topic

Posted by thewizard17 on 10/15/2017 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 10/15/2017 9:33:00 AM (view original):
It’s not a mistake for a B+ level team to challenge for a top level recruit, even against an A+. Nothing wrong with taking some calculated risks, and at B+ you are pretty much assured of being able to get in signing range with a 1 in 4 or better shot. The mistake is if you take those shots without knowing the risks, and preparing for contingencies.
Not only does the preferences need to match up, but it has to work against the other team you're recruiting against.

The other issue is, while you're jacking up 80 APs per cycle on that one recruit you're going after, it takes away you're ability to use APs on other recruits. Knowing this, the smart coaches will purposely target the other recruits you're on, making it much more difficult.

I'm not saying you can't win the recruit. But overall, is it really the best strategy for your team? I would say on average, it works against you more times than not.
If you're talking two or more prestige grades, this is more valid. At a difference of one grade, you can absolutely get in signing range without having a significant preference advantage, or AP max. As long as you're willing to go all in on visits and promises, you can challenge. Is it the best idea for your team? Only the coach can answer that legitimately. If you've built your team on flexibility, and having a core of good 4-year types, you absolutely can and should take some risks and fight for some elite talent the top teams are going after. If your team is built on only those top level recruits you can pry away, you'll be looking at a lot of 4 walk on seasons. As long as you're alright with that eventuality, it still pays off to reach up.
10/15/2017 3:24 PM
Go for the best players that you can possibly get.

Next level strategy, I know.
10/15/2017 3:27 PM
For anyone not interested in a ******* match but interested in what happens when you "over-recruit", this is it:
98 MikeT23 9-0 2-0 7-0 0-0 0-0 20 49 269 -
97 MikeT23 9-18 4-6 5-11 0-1 3-13 88 9 B
96 MikeT23 26-8 9-3 11-3 6-2 11-5 5 11 5 A+ NT At-large Bid
NT (Final Four)
95 MikeT23 22-9 7-3 12-4 3-2 13-3 25 22 13 A- NT At-large Bid
NT (2nd Round)
94 MikeT23 27-4 8-0 15-3 4-1 14-2 15 22 84 B Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (2nd Round)
93 MikeT23 13-14 11-7 2-6 0-1 7-9 190 81 C-
92 MikeT23 12-16 9-6 2-9 1-1 6-10 320 381 C-
91 MikeT23 7-21 2-11 4-9 1-1 5-11 263 97 C-

I missed in 95 and 96. In 97, I had no PG. That's what happens. If you can accept that, you reach up. If you can't, follow the advice of the "me" guys and settle.
10/15/2017 3:30 PM
IMHO the risk you took in 'over recruiting' was unnecessary.
10/15/2017 3:32 PM
Perhaps. The "sound" strategy is to go elsewhere when challenged. Doesn't matter to me. Not how I choose to play the game.

Cats, skinning, more than one way, you know the story.
10/15/2017 3:36 PM
Posted by trizzo31 on 10/15/2017 10:30:00 AM (view original):
I have been accustomed to running 10-11 men squads at Clemson. My thinking at the onset of recruiting was, if I sign one of my two main targets I am happy. Both would be gravy.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Preferences.aspx?rid=4140092

I had two very good preferences and one good. I knew that I was offering Brundidge minutes and a guaranteed start which would make the playing time preference very good as well. That totaled 3 very good and one good. All of the recruit's other categories had no preference. Pitt might have had very good for success, but everything else should have been even. So, after 20 HVs and 900+ APs, I only have a 33% chance of winning? I didn't think that there was that great of a difference between an A- and a B+ prestige. And if prestige matters that much why did it not help gain a much larger chance of winning against a C- prestige Florida team or Division II team?
Honestly this does seem a little weird to me too.

I'm assuming you sent the HVs AFTER the promises, right?

I do think the promises coming from D2/D3 are overpowered when compared to D1.
10/15/2017 3:37 PM
Although, to be fair, missing in consecutive seasons is probably stupid. I wasted the senior seasons of very good players.
10/15/2017 3:38 PM
Someone tell Mike that we aren't talking about D-2 recruiting and that there is a significant advantage in prestige in D-1.

Pkoopman, So would it be fair to say that the majority of coaches are inexperienced at recruiting with a A-/B+ prestige? And maybe it's not as much as a prestige differential issue?
10/15/2017 4:11 PM
Somebody tell thecheater17 to honor his "official forum retirement".

pkoopman, would it be fair to say that thecheater17 is a "me" guy and any "advice" he gives about recruiting A level talent is suspect?
10/15/2017 4:16 PM
I'm actually viewing a whole list of A-/B+ teams in Phelan, but most of them seem to be stuck there.

A B+ prestige team goes all in after a 5 start recruit. If they do this for 4 consecutive seasons, odds are, assuming it's 50/50 that they'll end up with 2 elite players. But what about the other 8-10 players? I would think it would be the more sensible option for a B+ school to recruit 2-3 4 star players where they wouldn't be as contested for those recruits, while distributing your resources evenly.

Also, pkoopman to reply to another point. If a B+ team is giving a start and minutes to a 5 star recruit, more than likely an A+ prestige team will do the same.
10/15/2017 4:22 PM
Also, pkoopman, would you say someone who sat around for 5 hours hitting "redshirt on/redshirt off" in order to cheat at a sim game on the internet is despicable, pathetic or both? I'm leaning "both" but would like a 2nd opinion.
10/15/2017 4:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2017 4:16:00 PM (view original):
Somebody tell thecheater17 to honor his "official forum retirement".

pkoopman, would it be fair to say that thecheater17 is a "me" guy and any "advice" he gives about recruiting A level talent is suspect?
And this is where your stupidity gets in the way of rational discussion. I actually had Final 4 talent coming back anyway, even without the WE boost. But if you want to put an asterisk on that, then go check out what I did with my Missouri team. I recruited core guys with high potential in the 60s and 70s, while most of my players were juniors and seniors running a fb/fcp system.
10/15/2017 4:25 PM
I don't have "rational" discussions with people who cheat at internet sim games. That's simply pathetic.
10/15/2017 4:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2017 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/15/2017 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/15/2017 2:31:00 PM (view original):
I'm seeing some doublespeak in this thread.

On one hand, I hear "You can't win championships without A+ recruits."
On the other hand, I'm seeing "Don't battle A/A+ schools because you'll lose or damage your team in the process."

I didn't realize you were qualified to speak on D-1 recruiting.

This is where you're trolling gets in the way Mike. There was no mention by me that stated you can't win championships without A+ recruits. I've had many successful teams without A+ recruits.
I can speak on anything I please, cheater. This game is not rocket science. Those in D1 did not have to go to college for 8 years to reach D1. They simply had to play the game long enough to get there. Don't overestimate your intelligence or your viewpoint. YOU felt the need to cheat to reach the top. On an internet game. Pathetic. Go back to your "official retirement from the forums."

My point is two very much "me" guys are discouraging users from recruiting upper echelon talent. I question the validity of such opinions because, as stated, they are "me" guys.
This was my point. You are giving suspect advice. People should know that.
10/15/2017 4:29 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/15/2017 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by trizzo31 on 10/15/2017 10:30:00 AM (view original):
I have been accustomed to running 10-11 men squads at Clemson. My thinking at the onset of recruiting was, if I sign one of my two main targets I am happy. Both would be gravy.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Preferences.aspx?rid=4140092

I had two very good preferences and one good. I knew that I was offering Brundidge minutes and a guaranteed start which would make the playing time preference very good as well. That totaled 3 very good and one good. All of the recruit's other categories had no preference. Pitt might have had very good for success, but everything else should have been even. So, after 20 HVs and 900+ APs, I only have a 33% chance of winning? I didn't think that there was that great of a difference between an A- and a B+ prestige. And if prestige matters that much why did it not help gain a much larger chance of winning against a C- prestige Florida team or Division II team?
Honestly this does seem a little weird to me too.

I'm assuming you sent the HVs AFTER the promises, right?

I do think the promises coming from D2/D3 are overpowered when compared to D1.
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/History.aspx?rid=4140092

This is the recruiting history. I offered a start during the third cycle. The promised minutes came after some of the home visits.

10/15/2017 5:03 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
How should I recruit differently? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.