D1 sophomore accepting redshirt Topic

I have a freshman on my roster that I recruited as a project. He has tons of green bars (7 green and 2 blue) and will eventually be a nice player, but he could definitely use a redshirt year. Unfortunately, I had to promise him some minutes after encountering resistance in recruiting and had to scrap plans to inform him of redshirt. So now I am locked into playing him this season. But I was wondering if anyone has ever successfully redshirted a sophomore at D1. His name is Todd Williams, and he was the 35th ranked sg in the class.
10/16/2017 8:04 PM
Yeah, you can RS sophomores at D1 but it is dicey. My guys seems to accept it about a 1/4 of the time.
10/16/2017 8:06 PM
What sort of WE hits do you see when they reject? He'll be up to around 73 by the end of the season and could easily absorb a 25 point hit...
10/16/2017 8:07 PM
the WE hit will vary widely

a big factor will be where he fits in a rank order of current playing abiity on your roster - if he is clearly the worst, easier to get him to take the RS

also will just depend on the kid
10/17/2017 5:52 AM
He has 70 WE...
10/17/2017 10:08 AM
Definitely depends but I've seen coaches get a WE hit from 0 - 50+ No good way to tell unless its obvious someone else is better than him. The engine does recognize if he isn't the best player and needs a RS season. However in some cases he still might fight you. At the end of the day if you RS him and the WE hit is too much you can get rid of the RS and he wont lose any WE. So give it a shot next season and depending on the hit you can decide to keep it or not.
10/17/2017 12:37 PM
as discussed in another thread, if you put RS on and take it off the WE will go back to where it was

BUT, if you then put the RS on a second time there is a risk that the hit will be worse. So, look, think, consider.
10/17/2017 2:30 PM
"BUT, if you then put the RS on a second time there is a risk that the hit will be worse. So, look, think, consider"

IF that happens, just take off the RS and you've back to where you were.

Have had sophomores accept redshirt with no WE hit (see Charles Oliver on my UAB team).

Very seldom would I accept a WE hit ... almost never. WE is too important and hard to get back.
10/17/2017 4:57 PM (edited)
Thanks for all the replies.

I would consider taking a redshirt hit (say from 70 down to 45) because of two issues. He is terrible at the moment, and I'd rather have him developing while not stinking it up out there on the court. Second, I recruited him in the hopes of getting two good years out of him. Even if he takes a sizable hit to his WE, I think the extra year of development puts him in a much better position to contribute in his final two years.

i will try changing some positions around so there are at least 2 sg's ahead of him on the depth chart that are significantly better when I try the redshirt next season.
10/17/2017 7:14 PM
changing player positions should not change RS response - the roster effect is supposed to be some baked into the game status on the team - positions are cosmetic
10/18/2017 4:52 AM
Max is right. I just went thru this myself. Changing the positions has no effect. I tried
10/18/2017 6:02 AM
D1 sophomore accepting redshirt Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.