any rough guidelines for pitch counts for pitchers with stamina of 75, 85, 95?
10/17/2017 5:45 AM
This is where I start:

(assuming a 5 man staff) If durability is over 25 -
75 stamina - 90/100
85 stamina - 100/110
95 stamina - 105/115

(assuming a 5 man staff) If durability is under 25 -
75 stamina - 80/90
85 stamina - 90/95
95 stamina - 95/105

Then I watch their performances and recovery times and make adjustments as I go. Usually I look at 5 game/30 inning blocks. If a pitcher is getting busted up early then you have to dial up the pull counts. Leave the pitch counts. If a pitcher is consistently getting getting busted up late, then he's probably tired and you need to dial back the PC. If a pitcher is consistently doing well, then you need to push up the PC to let him pitch longer. You'll end up finding the sweet spot at some point.

10/17/2017 7:12 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I use a formula, and this assumes a 5-man rotation:
TPC = (1 + ((DUR-20)/20)) * ST, rounded down; MPC = [formula result] + 5. I basically always use this during the regular season for pitchers with DUR < 26.

For pitchers with DUR > 27, I use the formula for MPC, but for TPC, I choose something between (1.3 * ST) and the formula result, and I give better quality pitchers a higher TPC. The rationale for doing something different with high DUR pitchers is that they can tolerate a higher level of post-game fatigue and still recover in time for their next start, but in-game fatigue may still render them effective deep in games. My aces may continue to be better than my bullpen with a little more in-game fatigue than my 5th starters, so I target them to go longer.

For a 4-man rotation I just multiply all TPCs by 0.8, and I don't ever mess with the formula unless DUR > 33 (and that high a DUR is uncommon for a pitcher with high stamina).

And in the playoffs I set TPC and MPC game by game.
10/17/2017 12:11 PM
Posted by dedelman on 10/17/2017 12:11:00 PM (view original):
I use a formula, and this assumes a 5-man rotation:
TPC = (1 + ((DUR-20)/20)) * ST, rounded down; MPC = [formula result] + 5. I basically always use this during the regular season for pitchers with DUR < 26.

For pitchers with DUR > 27, I use the formula for MPC, but for TPC, I choose something between (1.3 * ST) and the formula result, and I give better quality pitchers a higher TPC. The rationale for doing something different with high DUR pitchers is that they can tolerate a higher level of post-game fatigue and still recover in time for their next start, but in-game fatigue may still render them effective deep in games. My aces may continue to be better than my bullpen with a little more in-game fatigue than my 5th starters, so I target them to go longer.

For a 4-man rotation I just multiply all TPCs by 0.8, and I don't ever mess with the formula unless DUR > 33 (and that high a DUR is uncommon for a pitcher with high stamina).

And in the playoffs I set TPC and MPC game by game.
I wasn't gonna give up your secret :-)
10/17/2017 12:52 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
For all the ugly-looking stuff up there,
(a) it's an easier formula to apply than it is to type out, and
(b) the really radical thing in that post is that I set my TPCs very close to my MPCs.

I believe, with only circumstantial evidence to support me, that in-game fatigue is a big deal, and mostly I want my starters to pitch enough innings to keep my pen from fatiguing and then get out of there.
10/17/2017 3:56 PM
Hey man I respect the effort
10/17/2017 5:16 PM
Posted by dedelman on 10/17/2017 3:56:00 PM (view original):
(b) the really radical thing in that post is that I set my TPCs very close to my MPCs.

I believe, with only circumstantial evidence to support me, that in-game fatigue is a big deal, and mostly I want my starters to pitch enough innings to keep my pen from fatiguing and then get out of there.
What it all comes down to is this: You want your best pitchers pitching as many innings in which they are effective. I start with your formula and then tweak it based on performance. It works. I've had several pitching staffs that were short on talent perform way above expectations based on the initial settings from your formula and the tweaks later on.
10/17/2017 5:33 PM
Posted by dedelman on 10/17/2017 3:56:00 PM (view original):

I have an 18/84 guy that by your formula would be TPC 75 then. So far he hasn't had any issues recovering from pitching but I would have to go through and see where the runs are coming from and if the last inning or 15 or so pitches is where most of his trouble came in...

thank you all for the information.
10/17/2017 10:11 PM
I'm sure I read somwhere that fatigue% isn't absolute so a guy at 100% might not actually be all the way rested and it's a good idea to have that number prior to the scheduled start rather than falling on the day of....
Using that information, I watch those lower durability pitchers more closely to try to keep them fresh. I'll lower their pitch counts, move them back a day, or skip a start altogether when there's a long stretch of games on the schedule between off days.
10/17/2017 10:54 PM
I don't typically look at durability when it comes to pitch counts. All durability does for me is determines if my rotation is a 4 man, a 5 man, a 5+1 (5 with a spot starter) or a 6 man. I have no problem using guys with 16 durability if they have 70+ stamina and great ratings.

Having got that out of the way.

Stamina:

High 60 - low 70 = 80 TPC 100 MPC
Mid to high 70 = 90 TPC 110 MPC
80 + = 100 TPC 120 MPC
85-90 = 110 TPC 125 MPC
90+ = 120 TPC 140 MPC
On the rare occasion I get a 99 stamina guy I'll make him 140 TPC 140 MPC

Anything below 60 Stamina is either bullpen or a tandem pitcher for me. and I've had zero success with Tandems no matter what I try or how good the guys ratings are.
10/18/2017 9:22 AM
I short my PC due to in game fatigue(I believe in it). On my MG team, I only had 3 pitchers average over 90 pitches per game. Using 15 per inning as a guideline, my SP only go 6. If they're doing well, maybe 7-8. But I build strong bullpens to pitch 3-4 innings per game.
10/18/2017 10:32 AM
Old thread...but is there a good way to figure out pitch counts for a reliever? Say you have a stud reliever with 40+ stamina and 70 durability. how do you tweak the formula for odd cases like that? (I know this is a super old thread...but searching the forum and found it interesting, and I have just come back to this game after taking years off).
12/2/2018 3:17 PM (edited)

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.