ODL 66 (full) Topic

Posted by bds9992 on 11/30/2017 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 11/30/2017 5:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 11/30/2017 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjok1051 on 11/30/2017 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 11/30/2017 8:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 10/27/2017 5:56:00 PM (view original):
I’m trading my 2,3,6,6 to cjok1051 for his 1,5,6,6.

CJ to confirm
Bump
And this is why you don't make a trade before knowing where you are picking... I will honor this rip off from over a month ago. I apologize to the entire league for my error.
So what, that is 4, 101, 140, 140 for 40, 58, 135, 135?

So, from last year's draft, that is like:
Michael Jordan, Jamario Moon, Al-Farouq Aminu and Ron Harper
for
Kevin McHale, Rajon Rondo, Raja Bell, Shane Battier

Obviously that is a little hokey since those players won't likely be the exact some picks and the 6th rounders are sort of meaningless.

That being said, that is a really terrible trade. The onus is less on you and more on the league as a whole for allowing this kind of stuff to happen. However, it was reasonably obvious where ben's pick would be and your odds... so you kind of had to understand what it would look like when you made it.

I don't like it but the league was around a long time before I ever joined it.
I thought there was supposed to be a mechanism in place to insure that lopsided trades don't happen (maybe I'm thinking of the funk52)
There is. It's called me ruling with an iron fist.

The trade is vetoed. We've already lived through what happens when Ben makes a super advantageous trade, and I can't have that happen.
This is rediculous. Either ban trades, or let them through. This sort of deal has been happening for the last 15 seasons at least. It’s nothing like my last trade that was indeed lopsided.

If you wanted to veto it it should have been done months ago as it was just as obvious then that the pick would be around 4
11/30/2017 10:14 PM
I'm not going to reverse my decision on Ben and CJ's trade. Three owners either wanted it to be vetoed or were glad it was vetoed. I don't think they would've complained unless they saw something outside of the realm of normalcy in the trade. robusk and CJ are good dudes. They know a "rip off" when they see one.
11/30/2017 11:34 PM
Posted by copernicus on 11/30/2017 5:56:00 PM (view original):
I know but anyone who has been around here long enough knows I can get my back up over the principle of the thing
(and just like Walter in The Big Lebowski I'm not wrong)

in case you miss the reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BYzLIqKB8
What red-blooded American would not get that reference dude?
11/30/2017 11:35 PM
My job, besides setting and running the draft, and setting up polls for rules changes, is to maintain and support balance within the draft. I don't need majority rule to determine that the trade had run afoul. Two veterans knew it wasn't right, and I don't ever want the rest of the owners to feel like the playoffs will be over before they begin.
11/30/2017 11:38 PM
Posted by benhoidal on 11/30/2017 10:14:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bds9992 on 11/30/2017 6:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by copernicus on 11/30/2017 5:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by robusk on 11/30/2017 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cjok1051 on 11/30/2017 8:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 11/30/2017 8:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by benhoidal on 10/27/2017 5:56:00 PM (view original):
I’m trading my 2,3,6,6 to cjok1051 for his 1,5,6,6.

CJ to confirm
Bump
And this is why you don't make a trade before knowing where you are picking... I will honor this rip off from over a month ago. I apologize to the entire league for my error.
So what, that is 4, 101, 140, 140 for 40, 58, 135, 135?

So, from last year's draft, that is like:
Michael Jordan, Jamario Moon, Al-Farouq Aminu and Ron Harper
for
Kevin McHale, Rajon Rondo, Raja Bell, Shane Battier

Obviously that is a little hokey since those players won't likely be the exact some picks and the 6th rounders are sort of meaningless.

That being said, that is a really terrible trade. The onus is less on you and more on the league as a whole for allowing this kind of stuff to happen. However, it was reasonably obvious where ben's pick would be and your odds... so you kind of had to understand what it would look like when you made it.

I don't like it but the league was around a long time before I ever joined it.
I thought there was supposed to be a mechanism in place to insure that lopsided trades don't happen (maybe I'm thinking of the funk52)
There is. It's called me ruling with an iron fist.

The trade is vetoed. We've already lived through what happens when Ben makes a super advantageous trade, and I can't have that happen.
This is rediculous. Either ban trades, or let them through. This sort of deal has been happening for the last 15 seasons at least. It’s nothing like my last trade that was indeed lopsided.

If you wanted to veto it it should have been done months ago as it was just as obvious then that the pick would be around 4
Yeah, I tried to make the point ben is making. The league allowed it when it got put through (our fault if we allow it), these types of trade appear to have been going on a long time and the pick positions were relatively known.

I was going out and pointing out that it was an awful deal but wasn't calling for a veto per se. If it is getting vetoed, cool with me. That wasn't my intent though.

I, personally, might have made a stink when it first got posted if I actually understood the lottery in this league. I do now, but my first time really looking at it.
11/30/2017 11:39 PM
Posted by bds9992 on 11/30/2017 11:38:00 PM (view original):
My job, besides setting and running the draft, and setting up polls for rules changes, is to maintain and support balance within the draft. I don't need majority rule to determine that the trade had run afoul. Two veterans knew it wasn't right, and I don't ever want the rest of the owners to feel like the playoffs will be over before they begin.
Yeah fair enough. Being a commish is hard as hell with all the temperaments and personalities here. I certainly don't want to see the thread get polluted with a bunch of discourse on it. I am fine with either decision but I support your right to commish.
11/30/2017 11:40 PM
Anyway, I am pumped for another season of the ODL!
11/30/2017 11:42 PM
The conversation should pretty much be over. You called it "a really terrible trade." You know what you're talking about. If you thought it was in the realm of what a trade should be, you wouldn't have said that. I thought it was outside the realm of acceptability too, which is why I did what I did. I need to explain it so that folks, including Ben, have an idea of what my thought process was.
11/30/2017 11:53 PM
Why does the lottery have anything to do with this? CJ had the 4th pick with or without the lottery.

This isn’t even close to as lopsided as some trades have been in this league. I move up spots early and CJ moves up more spots later that’s pretty standard.

If this would have been literaly anyone anyone besides me, this trade would have gone through.

Either ban all trades with a first round pick involved so we can go back to a league based solely on drafting skill, or allow this trade.
12/1/2017 7:31 AM
I certainly do not see a reason to veto the trade... in fact, i think its ridiculous
12/1/2017 11:09 AM
I certainly do see a reason to make some more picks! :)
12/1/2017 11:38 AM
Ben says he will agree to void the trade if we ban ALL trades involving first round picks in the future, and I recommend we do that. I belong to several long-term fantasy football leagues, and we have ended up banning trades in all of them over the years. They invariably cause controversy and hard feelings.
12/1/2017 11:39 AM

let me know if u are interested in obtaining my 6th overall pick. Thanks
12/1/2017 3:20 PM (edited)
Posted by gerryred on 12/1/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):
Ben says he will agree to void the trade if we ban ALL trades involving first round picks in the future, and I recommend we do that. I belong to several long-term fantasy football leagues, and we have ended up banning trades in all of them over the years. They invariably cause controversy and hard feelings.
This is ridiculous. I'l trade away my 1st round pick just to prove that having one isn't necessary. Seriously tho.
12/1/2017 11:42 AM
Posted by gerryred on 12/1/2017 11:39:00 AM (view original):
I'd be fine with that but I don't know enough about the history of the ODL. Is there a history of teams that traded out of the first being successful? It is hard to judge the quality of a rule change without some data to back it up.

Do we have a trade thread to prevent this draft thread from getting too polluted?
12/1/2017 11:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...28 Next ▸
ODL 66 (full) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.