strictly shooting...... Topic

Say you have a SG, 90 perimeter with A IQ. And a SG, 90 perimeter with F IQ. All other attributes are equal. From strictly a shooting perspective, are they equal?
10/19/2017 12:16 PM
I'm relatively new to HD, but from what I read in the dev chat, no. More goes into scoring than just PER. Knowing the offense better allows the first guard to get in position to take better shots.
10/19/2017 12:19 PM
I didn't necessarily mean scoring tho. Just shooting. I know a lot goes into creating a shot opportunity. I know the two would not be equal scorers. But are they equal shooters? As in wide open shots.
10/19/2017 12:25 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 10/19/2017 12:16:00 PM (view original):
Say you have a SG, 90 perimeter with A IQ. And a SG, 90 perimeter with F IQ. All other attributes are equal. From strictly a shooting perspective, are they equal?
I'd say the A IQ shoots about 6%-8% better over the course of a season.
10/19/2017 12:51 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 10/19/2017 12:25:00 PM (view original):
I didn't necessarily mean scoring tho. Just shooting. I know a lot goes into creating a shot opportunity. I know the two would not be equal scorers. But are they equal shooters? As in wide open shots.
That I don't know. I don't if anyone knows. How would you isolate shot quality from all that goes into making the shot?
10/19/2017 1:09 PM
I don't know how u would personally. Just wondering general info. I wasn't sure if that could be determined either
10/19/2017 1:28 PM
No, the f iq guy would have a lower shooting %. “Wide open” shots isn’t a measurable category’s
10/19/2017 4:12 PM
I understand all that. I guess my question wasn't really about the game. More of just an understanding of players. If you take my original example, and play them in a game, yes, I know the A IQ player will perform better. But what about if those players were matched up in a 3pt contest? Would they/should they be equal shooters? I can see how it's an odd question. But whatever.
10/19/2017 5:29 PM
IQ is factored in the "does the shot go in decision" I believe.
10/19/2017 8:51 PM
I think IQ is a lot more important than 6% to 8% but I have no Data to back it up. You might be able to tell with a player who started at 90 and was red, and never improved. You could look at the 4 years and see what happened.
10/20/2017 1:25 AM
Thought per shooting was a combo of IQ, speed, per, and BH. I get the 'just shooting part", but I don't think that can be isolated from the other factors.
10/20/2017 10:53 AM
Posted by phalla on 10/20/2017 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Thought per shooting was a combo of IQ, speed, per, and BH. I get the 'just shooting part", but I don't think that can be isolated from the other factors.
Your team passing is also a factor. But yeah, hard to isolate just one variable when so many are a part of the equation.
10/20/2017 1:40 PM
To the OP, to my knowledge, it has never been disclosed to what degree the perimeter attribute plays into a player’s “pure shooting” ability. Even if you could isolate the attribute among the others that determine whether a shot goes in, you still have offensive set, distribution, and a player’s 3-pt frequency setting to factor. This is basically something left to user interpretation. It’s an interesting question, to which there are many possible answers, but they’re all going to be subjective and speculative.

FWIW, if I’ve got a high per freshman coming in, I will generally set him at 0 or +1 and let him shoot a high percentage of 3s, but keep his overall distribution low until his IQ gets to the C+ range. Players with good IQs can be effective 3 point options even with lower perimeter ratings. Upperclassmen at D1 under 70 per can shoot 40+%, as long as the frequency is not set too high.
10/20/2017 2:07 PM
strictly shooting...... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.