Chain a goon?! (11 in!) Topic

OK, so I'm sitting at home (no hockey excursion with my son this weekend) drinking some Crown on the rocks and listening to the Sammy Hagar channel on I-heart radio. I started thinking about WIFS and some of the fun leagues we used to do and what can we do now. I've done a 70s and 80s league recently that I've enjoyed very much, but I don't think they would translate to a 90s version. So I started doing some (to quote John Wayne in Mclintock!) "Thinking drinking". The best part of the 70s and 80s leagues, for me anyway, was reading the boxscores and all the goals and penalties. It was a blast! Then I got to thinking about some of the fun leagues we used to do, So, how can we marry a fun but challenging draft with the what was fun (to me anyway) of the my recent 70s and 80s leagues.

Hmm....

Well the chain leagues were always fun and challenging ...

How about we do a chain league with a goon?! Yeah! That could be cool! (Or at least the alcohol says so!)

So. I present to you...

Chain a goon!

Rules are simple. First, select your goon. Second, build your team by "chaining" your players. To chain your players, your second player's last name must begin with the last letter of your goon's last name. Your third player's last name must begin with the last letter of your second player's last name. And so on and so forth until you have filled your 23 man roster.

Now for the catches (and with me there usually are some!) The top six PIM for a season belong to Dave Schultz, Mike Peluso, Bob Probert, Basil McRea. Joey Kocur, and Tim Hunter. You will select one of these six and you must use their highest PIM season. *Updated* Salary of goon must be $165K and defense must by lower than 30. Use the highest PIM season that fits within these requirements.

There will be a division for each goon and only 4 per goon will be allowed. So there will be a Dave Schultz division with the 4 teams that are chaining Schultzie. There will be a Bob Probert division with the 4 team chaining Probs. And so on and so forth.

Other Particulars:
All players must have played in at least 70% of the games for the season selected. (when I set up the league I will try to set up a blacklist for this)

70% rule does not apply to goalies.

Speaking of goalies, only 2 are allowed on your team!

All players drafted must play in at least 20 games. Failure to do so will forfeit a playoff spot if qualified.

Your goon must play in all 82 games!

$115M Cap
No Injuries/suspension (and you were wondering how your goon could play in all 82 games!)
No WW/ML/Trades or PI
Relaxed rosters

I will take the last goon available.

I believe that is all. Although I may be missing something as my brain is mush about now, so I reserve the right to change or alter the rules as i see fit (or sober up!)
10/23/2017 10:01 AM (edited)
Schultz Division
1. y2jdelimma
2. jcarver67
3. poddy

McRea Division
1. donaldjl

Hunter Division
1. taybaijor
2. kiteport

Peluso Division:

Probert Division
1. lionized
2. bradpark22
3. chuckinrlp

Kocur Division
1. lumpah99
10/31/2017 10:12 AM (edited)
Well, I like Probert. A lot.
10/20/2017 10:16 PM
I am in - Hunter Div.
10/20/2017 11:11 PM
That Z doesn't scare me. HAHA. Give me Schultz. (And just being a little pedantic here, but I'm assuming you mean top 6 for forwards? Hence no Baxter, McSorley, Durbano types?)
10/21/2017 6:12 AM
Not this time.. good ideas though
10/21/2017 9:23 AM
in. (I can't believe you didn't use Nilan as a division...) i'll take probert
10/22/2017 10:36 PM
Yes, Y2J, I meant forwards.

It has also been brought to my attention that their may be an unfair advantage with Probert (and to some extent with Schultz) as their highest PIM total is also a fairly offensive season as well which would be an advantage compared to the others. After looking at it with clearer eyes this weekend, I see the point. Therefore I will make this adjustment: Goons must be $165K and have a D-rating less than 30 Use the highest PIM season that fits these requirements.. That should even out the goons some. For those that have made a selection already, you are more than able to change if you want and I will understand if you would like to drop out.
10/23/2017 10:01 AM (edited)
I will stick with Timmy.
10/23/2017 10:57 AM
I'll sign up for the spice division...AKA Basil McRae
10/23/2017 8:15 PM
I'll take a Kocur.....
10/24/2017 4:39 PM
I'm in with Schultz
10/25/2017 3:34 PM
I will take Schultzy
10/25/2017 4:13 PM
Hunter
10/29/2017 4:31 PM
I'll do a Probie team
10/30/2017 12:59 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
Chain a goon?! (11 in!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.