Tempo versus FB/Press Topic

I'm pretty sure slowdown is the way to go, all things being equal. It's against a ranked Sim, but I'm not really impressed. I have nice advantages in athleticism and defense, a slight advantage in speed, and slight disadvantages in rebounding and stamina. The big thing this Sim has going for it is eight seniors and four juniors.

My team: https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=6381

Sim: https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=6375

Is slowdown still the correct play here?

10/22/2017 7:18 AM
Here are the options.

1. You can play uptempo and try to get them in foul trouble by putting your players at -2. Since you seem to be the under dog in this match up, this may be the way to go. The con to this strategy is you're only shooting 65% from the free throw line and if you're unable to foul the other team's players out, you're basically screwed. Pros to this are their Ath/Def isn't that great, so it could work.

2. They have a 3 point team stamina advantage, to go along with a 12 man roster, you have 11. Pros to going slow down are limiting the amount of possessions for each team while keeping your team's stamina higher than you would going uptempo.

Tough decision.
10/22/2017 9:13 AM (edited)
Actually now that I check that they have like 9 seniors and 3 juniors with high IQs chances are they will be less likely to foul out.

Team you're playing, most team fouls they've had against an opponent are 29(twice), with no more than 1 player fouling out in either of those games.

I would go slow down. You'll be utilizing your better players while keeping their second and third string players with high IQs off the court.
10/22/2017 9:10 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 10/22/2017 9:10:00 AM (view original):
Actually now that I check that they have like 9 seniors and 3 juniors with high IQs chances are they will be less likely to foul out.

Team you're playing, most team fouls they've had against an opponent are 29(twice), with no more than 1 player fouling out in either of those games.

I would go slow down. You'll be utilizing your better players while keeping their second and third string players with high IQs off the court.
Good points, wizard, thanks. I've heard about setting everyone's three to -2 and just attacking the heck out of the basket. But you're right -- with their experience and high IQs, I doubt they'll foul a lot.
10/22/2017 9:24 AM
Go slow down. I think you will win.
10/22/2017 9:28 AM
With great defenders, slowdown will give you good results. Last season in conference play, I beat a team that ended up a NT 1 seed. Beat them AWAY. I would have beat them at home too but I managed to accidentally play my starting PG as backup C. Even then, I only lost by 3 points.

My team had offensive struggles but tough defense.

Slowdown was the only way!
10/22/2017 12:06 PM
Normal or slowdown would be fine. Because you have massive ath and def advantages I'd lean towards normal but with your lack of scoring slowdown is totally justifiable.

Last, setting Robinson to (-2) is an awful idea. He's your best shooter and you know the sim is gonna play (0). Let him shoot allllllllllllll day.
10/22/2017 3:12 PM
You're distro is... not very good.

I'd rank your guys, in order of offense:

Tier 1
Robinson

Tier 2
Alghamdi
Peiffer
Rambo

Tier 3
Allen
Hernandez
Boyd

Tier 2 and Tier 3 are very close.

10/22/2017 4:42 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 10/22/2017 4:42:00 PM (view original):

Tier 1
Robinson

Tier 2
Alghamdi
Peiffer
Rambo

Tier 3
Allen
Hernandez
Boyd

What about Gish shooting .625 fg%? He doesn't make your tiers?
10/22/2017 5:25 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 10/22/2017 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cubcub113 on 10/22/2017 4:42:00 PM (view original):

Tier 1
Robinson

Tier 2
Alghamdi
Peiffer
Rambo

Tier 3
Allen
Hernandez
Boyd

What about Gish shooting .625 fg%? He doesn't make your tiers?
Gish is not a very offensive freshman I'm obligated to start. I agree with Cub's list. My distribution has always been not very good.
10/22/2017 6:00 PM
He's shooting .625. I don't care about his ratings, I care about his stats. If he's shooting that well over 10 games, looks like an offensive player to me. If I increase his distro, and he proves me wrong, then distro goes back down.

As of now, percentage wise, he's your most efficient inside shooter on the whole team. Stats.
10/22/2017 6:04 PM
20-32. Crazy small sample. I'll try to be pretty kind, but don't use stats until the NT. Small sample size. 72 LP 58 ATH bad IQ. Pallas, my main point is Hardin should be averaging 9 points a game next year, and is a stud, but I'm not sure he's your second best scorer. I'd put it down a notch and see how it reacts. I know he's shooting well so I'm a little hesitant.
10/22/2017 7:15 PM
I'm going to disagree with cubcub here. I see no reason to bump Hardin down. I realize the ratings and IQ don't dictate that he should be a great scorer but he's scoring almost 10ppg on 53% shooting. Nothing wrong with that!

I use stats all throughout the season to tweak my distro. I say 'tweak' not a drastic overhaul.

I'm sometimes surprised by guys who outplay their ratings and other guys who under play them. If they're efficient and doing well, give them the rock.
10/22/2017 7:51 PM
Posted by Benis on 10/22/2017 7:51:00 PM (view original):
I'm going to disagree with cubcub here. I see no reason to bump Hardin down. I realize the ratings and IQ don't dictate that he should be a great scorer but he's scoring almost 10ppg on 53% shooting. Nothing wrong with that!

I use stats all throughout the season to tweak my distro. I say 'tweak' not a drastic overhaul.

I'm sometimes surprised by guys who outplay their ratings and other guys who under play them. If they're efficient and doing well, give them the rock.
I'm with Benis! But thank you for "trying to be kind"
10/22/2017 8:01 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 10/22/2017 8:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 10/22/2017 7:51:00 PM (view original):

I'm with Benis! But thank you for "trying to be kind"
Disagree with me all you want. Seriously. It's good if you disagree with me. You will be right 50% of the time. And when I'm wrong, that's how I become better at the game.
10/22/2017 8:08 PM
12 Next ▸
Tempo versus FB/Press Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.