TRUMP: Best President ever Topic

Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/28/2019 8:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 8/28/2019 5:42:00 PM (view original):
I know this will sound very old fashioned to some of you, but there was a time not all that long ago when most people believed that it was the Media's job to REPORT the news, instead of MAKE it or INFLUENCE it.
I completely disagree with you. The media has been doing this kind of bs propaganda for centuries. Old black and white movies often have subplots about the Press manipulating public opinion just because they can - Citizen Kane is a fine example and there are hundreds more. The job of the Press is to do whatever the hell they want to do.

It is the information consumer who has dropped the ball, through intellectual laziness, and is solely to blame. Stop pointing a finger at the media and start looking in the mirror.
I completely disagree and call egregious foul. I don't care written state media has been doing it since hieroglyphics.

Here is what I find offensive and alarming. "The job of the press is to do whatever the hell they want to do." That should frighten you.

If you insist you are correct in that analysis or description, then PLEASE LET US STOP CALLING IT THE FOURTH ESTATE!

The media in this Republic cloaked itself under a mantle of self-righteous justice and impartiality only reporting the facts allowing the public to decide.

They have abused it to varying degrees since before the Revolution.

A lot of towns had two editions of newspapers. Time had nothing to do with it. One was liberal and the other conservative.

This is no longer the case. Technology killed the small town journalist. And take a guess as to who got the wire.

That would be (AP) (UPI) (REUTERS). Their by-lines are in EVERY daily publication. UNIVERSAL. Your town paper is crap.

Doesn't matter where you pick it up. ALL THE SAME. The New York TIMES is your local paper. Exact same stories.

And I don't have the time to explain the history. That's another discussion if you want it. Allow me to make a last point.

The information consumer is actually the American citizen. They have a job. We work crazy hours to produce a quality service or product. People expect us to produce that quality product or service and if we can't or don't, we no longer have a job.

The Media is actually American citizens. They have a job. We expect them to produce a quality product. If a media guy gets a bad burger...it's bad news for burger guy. But if burger guy gets political slant from the FOURTH ESTATE....there isn't much DAILY recourse. We don't have microphones and cameras.

Finally: The consumer is responsible and willing but the deck has been stacked. The big 3 are all left. Print is left. And they ignore real news.

THE FOURTH ESTATE dominates and controls the news. They now determine what to report and what to ignore or bury. The consumer may not be lazy as he is more propagandized by a dominate political tool bent on our enslavement. THE FOURTH ESTATE is an enemy of the people.

8/28/2019 9:28 PM
Posted by DougOut on 8/28/2019 6:34:00 PM (view original):
BARR UPDATE: Report on James Comey to be released tomorrow. This is just the beginning.
This should be interesting. Will fake news cover it? How will they frame it? Listen and learn.
8/28/2019 9:53 PM
Posted by all3 on 8/28/2019 8:58:00 PM (view original):
When the media presents 4 or 5 different versions of the "truth", all slanted to pacify the person or people paying their bills, how does anyone know who or what to believe?
I agree that people's laziness and close-mindedness contribute to the problem, but I'm still not sure that's bigger than the media itself.
I probably came across a bit harsh.

You are speaking rhetorically. Our educational system no longer makes the distinction but there is a difference between fact and truth. Most media stories contain a few objective facts - the plane crashed, the G7 summit occurred. Beyond that point, everything they write/report about is a subjective truth, opinion, or belief.

Intellectual laziness allows people to accept these truths, opinions and beliefs as fact...and once you go down that road, you might as well be put into a rubber room.
8/28/2019 10:00 PM
wow, doug. I must have hit a nerve. I appreciate your response. Rather than quote your post (I hate when posts get really long by endless quoting,) I will simply state the 1st Amendment. I have added the underline.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

That is the fact in play here.

Everything you wrote about is a truth, opinion or belief that is not contained within the Constitution of the United States of America.
8/28/2019 10:10 PM
Posted by usf_bulls on 8/27/2019 3:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bronxcheer on 8/27/2019 3:27:00 PM (view original):
Politics

Trump approval rating plummets in every 2020 battleground state, including Republican strongholds

Clark Mindock,The Independent 1 hour 39 minutes ago

Donald Trump’s approval rating has sunk in every 2020 battleground state, showing major vulnerabilities for the incumbent president a little over a year from election day.

That’s according to Morning Consult’s tracking poll, which found Mr Trump’s approval slipping in 17 of the states that are expected to be competitive next year.

His approval rating remains above water in just two of those states — with a two per cent net positive rating in Georgia, and a 6 per cent net positive rating in Texas.

The new poll shows that, in key states that Mr Trump won in 2016 to break down the so-called Democratic “firewall”, his fortunes may have turned. Those include Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, where Mr Trump beat Hillary Clinton with a combined 130,000 votes.

But the concerning polling expands far beyond those states, and into territory that has generally been considered safe for Republicans — and states Mr Trump won.

In Ohio, where Mr Trump began his time as president with 14 per cent net approval, he has slipped to negative 6 per cent. In Iowa, where his approval was 9 per cent, that figure has dropped to negative 11 per cent.

In Arizona, his approval has dropped from 19 per cent approval, down to negative 7 per cent. In Florida, where he once enjoyed 22 per cent approval, he has dropped to negative 1 per cent. In North Carolina, where he enjoyed 17 per cent approval, that rating has dropped to negative 1 per cent.

From Wikipedia (I added the underline)

"The Independent is a British online newspaper.[1] Established in 1986 as a politically independent national morning newspaper published in London. It was controlled by Tony O'Reilly's Independent News & Media from 1997 until it was sold to Russian oligarch Alexander Lebedev in 2010.[2] The last printed edition of The Independent was published on Saturday 26 March 2016, leaving only its digital editions."

lol. I thought the Russians were colluding with Trump.
Lebedev is about as different from Putin as can be. he's a leading critic of the government and won't leave the country because they are afraid they won't let him back in.
8/28/2019 11:00 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/28/2019 10:00:00 PM (view original):
When the media presents 4 or 5 different versions of the "truth", all slanted to pacify the person or people paying their bills, how does anyone know who or what to believe?
I agree that people's laziness and close-mindedness contribute to the problem, but I'm still not sure that's bigger than the media itself.

You are speaking rhetorically. Our educational system no longer makes the distinction but there is a difference between fact and truth. Most media stories contain a few objective facts - the plane crashed, the G7 summit occurred. Beyond that point, everything they write/report about is a subjective truth, opinion, or belief.

Intellectual laziness allows people to accept these truths, opinions and beliefs as fact...and once you go down that road, you might as well be put into a rubber room.
The truth IS usually too harsh for most people. The "fella" you got the disagreement from is DEFINITELY one of those snowflake types who can't handle ANY truth that differs from his own notions and bias.

It IS up to US to disern fact from fiction. The media HELPS us by providing information, SOME of which is accurate and some of which is not (speculation).
It has ALWAYS been so. The Tombstone Epitaph is a newspaper. Published in Tombstone, AZ. It was in print as early as the late 1800's. Published by a guy named Clum who at one time also was the supt. of the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation. There are historical copies available. Read one. You'll quickly find out that FACTS and truth are almost non existent. The whole paper is gossip, speculation, and anti-Indian propaganda. Mostly clearly lies!!

Most American newspapers of the time were so. Rags of speculation and gossip. NOT TRUTH.
The "ethics" of journalism came later........... thanks to Journalism schools and college programs.
Colleges like the Walter Cronkite Journalism program at ASU and other places.

AT those schools they learn to be professional you keep YOUR BIAS out of your reporting and report the FACTS.
Most of the folks on TV news BREAK that journalistic ethic on a daily basis. Guys like Hannity do it non-stop.
IF he graduated from Journalism school, the school should rescind his degree to save their own face!!

The fella who took issue with your post is wrong on nearly every mindless idea he spouts!
No worries about THAT!
8/29/2019 9:23 AM (edited)
Hey, a media member with a conscience. To be applauded. Probably get fired too - how sad.

MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell said Wednesday he made an "error in judgment" and should not have reported on air Tuesday evening that President Donald Trump's financial records show that some of his loans have Russian co-signers.

O’Donnell, who hosts "The Last Word," tweeted that his reporting on Tuesday night, which cited a single unnamed source close to Deutsche Bank, did not meet "our rigorous verification and standards process."

"Last night I made an error in judgment by reporting an item about the president's finances that didn’t go through our rigorous verification and standards process. I shouldn't have reported it and I was wrong to discuss it on the air," O’Donnell said.

8/29/2019 9:38 AM
Posted by laramiebob on 8/29/2019 9:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 8/28/2019 10:00:00 PM (view original):

The truth IS usually too harsh for most people. The "fella" you got the disagreement from is DEFINITELY one of those snowflake types who can't handle ANY truth that differs from his own notions and bias.

It IS up to US to disern fact from fiction. The media HELPS us by providing information, SOME of which is accurate and some of which is not (speculation).
It has ALWAYS been so. The Tombstone Epitaph is a newspaper. Published in Tombstone, AZ. It was in print as early as the late 1800's. Published by a guy named Clum who at one time also was the supt. of the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation. There are historical copies available. Read one. You'll quickly find out that FACTS and truth are almost non existent. The whole paper is gossip, speculation, and anti-Indian propaganda. Mostly clearly lies!!

Most American newspapers of the time were so. Rags of speculation and gossip. NOT TRUTH.
The "ethics" of journalism came later........... thanks to Journalism schools and college programs.
Colleges like the Walter Cronkite Journalism program at ASU and other places.

AT those schools they learn to be professional you keep YOUR BIAS out of your reporting and report the FACTS.
Most of the folks on TV news BREAK that journalistic ethic on a daily basis. Guys like Hannity do it non-stop.
IF he graduated from Journalism school, the school should rescind his degree to save their own face!!

The fella who took issue with your post is wrong on nearly every mindless idea he spouts!
No worries about THAT!
Clearly, we are in agreement. I am always surprised by people who do not understand the 1st Amendment (or any of them for that matter) but present themselves as constitutional fundamentalists. To paraphrase, the 1st Amendment prohibits the government from regulating the Press (i.e. the Press can do whatever the hell they want to do.)

It is we, as a society, that have tried to impose all of these superfluous ethics and morals onto the Constitution that aren't there. If we really want the Press to be factual, then change the wording in the 1st Amendment to say so. Otherwise, take it for what it is. The entire amendment is one compound sentence and it is not difficult to comprehend.

People want the world to be a certain way...so they rationalize perfectly clear, concise language to fit that world view...and then expect their rationalizations to supplant the original text. Fascinating.
8/29/2019 10:03 AM
Posted by all3 on 8/29/2019 9:38:00 AM (view original):
Hey, a media member with a conscience. To be applauded. Probably get fired too - how sad.

MSNBC host Lawrence O’Donnell said Wednesday he made an "error in judgment" and should not have reported on air Tuesday evening that President Donald Trump's financial records show that some of his loans have Russian co-signers.

O’Donnell, who hosts "The Last Word," tweeted that his reporting on Tuesday night, which cited a single unnamed source close to Deutsche Bank, did not meet "our rigorous verification and standards process."

"Last night I made an error in judgment by reporting an item about the president's finances that didn’t go through our rigorous verification and standards process. I shouldn't have reported it and I was wrong to discuss it on the air," O’Donnell said.

Trump accused Comey of leaking classified material. IG report exonerated him. Trump was wrong.

Do you think Trump will show a conscience and apologize?
8/29/2019 11:40 AM
LOL! I got a wager for you IF you think so.

FYI:

Here is the verbiage from the IG report as to what you state.
"...no evidence Director Comey released any classified information to the media"

But, watch how Trump spins and tweets.
Bottom Line Dougie!!

Justice Dept. declines to pursue ANY prosecution of Comey!
That's Chump's OWN Justice Dept!

Better change the sheets Dougie, you soiled 'em again!
8/29/2019 11:48 AM
LOL, Doug was on that kick eh? Not surprising. Qanon/Limbaugh morons.
8/29/2019 11:56 AM
"oBaMa iS uNdEr hOuSe aRrEsT"
8/29/2019 12:02 PM
A bigger Dud than the Nunes Memo and "Lock her up"

Conned again, Cult 45
8/29/2019 12:49 PM
Posted by laramiebob on 8/29/2019 11:48:00 AM (view original):
LOL! I got a wager for you IF you think so.

FYI:

Here is the verbiage from the IG report as to what you state.
"...no evidence Director Comey released any classified information to the media"

But, watch how Trump spins and tweets.
Bottom Line Dougie!!

Justice Dept. declines to pursue ANY prosecution of Comey!
That's Chump's OWN Justice Dept!

Better change the sheets Dougie, you soiled 'em again!
I will give dummy one thing. He continues to take a beating and stick around like he's a midwestern housewife. Let's see if he's got the nutz to come back and defend himself from this fantastic bedwetting in ANOTHER very public display of ignorance...

Quote post by DougOut on 8/28/2019 6:34:00 PM:
BARR UPDATE: Report on James Comey to be released tomorrow. This is just the beginning.

Beginning of what dummy???

Wait...Maybe you're right. It is the beginning...

The beginning of the END of this disgusting farce of an administration.
8/29/2019 2:21 PM
Drunk ole Dougie. You know that's right outta Rush.
8/29/2019 4:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...656|657|658|659|660...922 Next ▸
TRUMP: Best President ever Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.