2017 World Series Topic

"Lower K/same OPS"...so what you're saying is changing his approach DIDN'T hurt his performance, as you're asserting it will with Judge?
11/7/2017 1:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2017 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/7/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Care to explain 2015/2106 lower K rates, higher OPS as compared to 2014(you know, when he said he was going to change his approach)?

If you're being honest, we can only go by the numbers. .989 is better than .963. 26% is higher than 19%.

But you know what is required to hit a homer? Contact. IOW, not striking out. Do you disagree?
Wait, I have to explain the 2014 to 2015 lower K/higher OPS but you don't have to explain the 2015 to 2016 lower K/same OPS???

Nope. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. It's the internet. And it's pretty apparent that you know you're wrong so you answer every question with a question. I'm not very interested in that stupid game today.

Have a good day.
11/7/2017 1:12 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2017 12:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 11/6/2017 11:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2017 11:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 11/6/2017 11:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2017 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 11/6/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure players rarely try to make outs (sacrifice bunts are about the only situation I can think of) so how can they try to make less outs when they don't try to make any outs in the first place?
Wait, are you now arguing that hitters can't implement changes to their approach to try to get better results?
not sure how you got that out of what I posted, but I'm not sure how you get a lot of the things you post.
You’re asking if it’s possible for hitters to change their approach to make less outs.
since hitters don't try to make any outs how can they try to make less outs?
Alcides Escobar makes a **** load of outs. He should change his approach to be more selective at the plate and drive the ball in the air more.

That would likely result in more K’s but also more walks and a higher HR rate and BABIP.

Escobar makes a shitload of outs, but do you think he ever goes to the plate trying to make an out? I don't. I gues he might be in a few sacrifice bunt situations where he is trying to make an out (but a productive out) but the vast majority of the time he is not trying to make an out. He just sucks so he usually does.
11/7/2017 1:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/7/2017 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2017 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/7/2017 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Care to explain 2015/2106 lower K rates, higher OPS as compared to 2014(you know, when he said he was going to change his approach)?

If you're being honest, we can only go by the numbers. .989 is better than .963. 26% is higher than 19%.

But you know what is required to hit a homer? Contact. IOW, not striking out. Do you disagree?
Wait, I have to explain the 2014 to 2015 lower K/higher OPS but you don't have to explain the 2015 to 2016 lower K/same OPS???

Nope. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. It's the internet. And it's pretty apparent that you know you're wrong so you answer every question with a question. I'm not very interested in that stupid game today.

Have a good day.
Dude, you're the king of answering questions with questions and you only bail out of arguments when they start going bad for you. Good luck!
11/7/2017 1:20 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 11/7/2017 1:13:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure players rarely try to make outs (sacrifice bunts are about the only situation I can think of) so how can they try to make less outs when they don't try to make any outs in the first place?
Wait, are you now arguing that hitters can't implement changes to their approach to try to get better results?
not sure how you got that out of what I posted, but I'm not sure how you get a lot of the things you post.
You’re asking if it’s possible for hitters to change their approach to make less outs.
Alcides Escobar makes a **** load of outs. He should change his approach to be more selective at the plate and drive the ball in the air more.

That would likely result in more K’s but also more walks and a higher HR rate and BABIP.

Escobar makes a shitload of outs, but do you think he ever goes to the plate trying to make an out? I don't. I gues he might be in a few sacrifice bunt situations where he is trying to make an out (but a productive out) but the vast majority of the time he is not trying to make an out. He just sucks so he usually does.
So you're arguing that because hitters aren't trying to make outs, there's nothing they could change that would possibly improve their chances of reaching base?

11/7/2017 1:20 PM
No. That's what YOU are arguing. Dumbass.
11/7/2017 1:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2017 1:20:00 PM (view original):

So you're arguing that because hitters aren't trying to make outs, there's nothing they could change that would possibly improve their chances of reaching base?

No. Never said that. Players can change their approach, but they aren't trying to make less outs since they don't try to make any outs in the first place. They can try to improve their contact rate or try to improve their plate discipline. whether or not it works is another story. Show me a player who tries to make any outs when they bat (other than the rare sacrifice bunt) and I'll show you a player who never plays organized ball.
11/7/2017 3:43 PM
What about all the guys who BL thought were intentionally grounding out to second?
11/7/2017 4:12 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 11/7/2017 3:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/7/2017 1:20:00 PM (view original):

No. Never said that. Players can change their approach, but they aren't trying to make less outs since they don't try to make any outs in the first place. They can try to improve their contact rate or try to improve their plate discipline. whether or not it works is another story. Show me a player who tries to make any outs when they bat (other than the rare sacrifice bunt) and I'll show you a player who never plays organized ball.
Pedantic.

If a guy changes his approach, the goal is to get better. One way hitters can get better is to make less outs. In essence, an approach change is an attempt to make less outs.

For instance, you think that if Judge finds a way to shorten up his swing and reduce his K rate, he'll make less outs.

I think that if Alcides Escobar is more selective at the plate and drives the ball more, he'll make less outs (even though his K rate might go up) and hit for more power.
11/7/2017 4:25 PM
What makes you think Escobar's K rate will rise if he becomes more selective? He'll make less outs but his K rate might go up sounds contradictory because he'd have to make better contact to make less outs.
11/7/2017 4:47 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 11/7/2017 4:47:00 PM (view original):
What makes you think Escobar's K rate will rise if he becomes more selective? He'll make less outs but his K rate might go up sounds contradictory because he'd have to make better contact to make less outs.
Being more selective means he'll go deeper into counts. That results in more strikeouts.

It's not contradictory, though.

Assuming he's able to do it (and that's a HUGE assumption because being a really good, selective major league hitter is ******* hard), he'll strike out more often but he will make outs in play less often. The balls he does hit will more likely become hits because he picked out a pitch he could drive instead of swinging at a bad pitch and making weak contact.

That's all a huge if...don't take that as me saying he could do that. I'm just using it as an example of an approach change that would improve performance.
11/7/2017 5:03 PM
Why would deeper counts mean more Ks? I thought that results in better contact because of the whole waiting for a decent pitch to hit thing. Are you implying that if he doesn't get that decent pitch he'll just take a backward K?
11/7/2017 5:20 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 11/7/2017 5:20:00 PM (view original):
Why would deeper counts mean more Ks? I thought that results in better contact because of the whole waiting for a decent pitch to hit thing. Are you implying that if he doesn't get that decent pitch he'll just take a backward K?
What???

When you are more selective, you go deeper into counts. When you go deeper into counts, you get to two strikes more often. When you get to two strikes more often, you strike out more. It's just a fact.
11/7/2017 5:26 PM
But isn't it possible that while he (theoretically) becomes a better hitter with his new approach, he becomes more confident in a 2 strike count and is able to make more contact even then.

Not to mention that as his new found confidence grows, because he has been sitting on pitches and becoming a better hitter, he now sees good pitches sooner and doesn't fall behind in the count as often. Again, theoretically speaking of course.

11/7/2017 5:40 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 11/7/2017 5:40:00 PM (view original):
But isn't it possible that while he (theoretically) becomes a better hitter with his new approach, he becomes more confident in a 2 strike count and is able to make more contact even then.

Not to mention that as his new found confidence grows, because he has been sitting on pitches and becoming a better hitter, he now sees good pitches sooner and doesn't fall behind in the count as often. Again, theoretically speaking of course.

?????

The fact is that the more two strike counts you see, the more likely you are to strike out.
11/7/2017 5:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21 Next ▸
2017 World Series Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.