2017 World Series Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2017 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2017 1:28:00 PM (view original):
I'm assuming the season after he said "I want to cut down on strikeouts" but, truthfully, I don't know. I just assumed tec knew what he was talking about. I didn't look it up.
So you don't know if he cut his K's and improved his OPS?
Are you saying tec was incorrect?

Do you think I can't look it up?
11/6/2017 1:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2017 1:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/6/2017 1:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2017 1:28:00 PM (view original):
I'm assuming the season after he said "I want to cut down on strikeouts" but, truthfully, I don't know. I just assumed tec knew what he was talking about. I didn't look it up.
So you don't know if he cut his K's and improved his OPS?
Are you saying tec was incorrect?

Do you think I can't look it up?
Well...you don't even know what years to compare...so I guess you could try.

FWIW, Trout never significantly cut down on his strikeouts. He's always floated around low to mid 20%. 22, 22, 19, 26, 23, 20, and then 18 this year. Even when he went from 26% to 23%, it was only a difference of 26 Ks over the course of 700+ PAs.
11/6/2017 1:39 PM
And, again, making less outs is a good thing. The types of outs you make doesn't really matter.

If someone said, "man, Rougned Odor has a terrible approach." I'd agree. Odor made an out 75% of the time in 2017. He needs to find a way to make more contact.

If someone said, "man, Alcides Escobar has a terrible approach." I'd also agree. Escobar made an out 73% of the time in 2017. He needs to find a way to hit the ball harder and maybe take a walk more than twice a month.

But if someone said, "man, Aaron Judge has a terrible approach," they'd be nuts. Judge got tremendous results using the approach that he did.
11/6/2017 1:45 PM
So if Judge strikes out with bases loaded and less than 2 outs, it would have had the same result as a flyout to the warning track?

You know, because "the types of outs you make doesn't really matter."
11/6/2017 2:14 PM
No one is talking about making outs. We're talking about making contact.

Do you or do you not think MLB players should try to improve? Do you think, back in May, Girardi said "Hey, Judge, you're killing the ball. Why not skip BP for a couple of weeks and let some other guys get some extra cuts in"?
11/6/2017 2:16 PM
It seems like he's on board with that. But, somehow, as he's posting he loses that and just starts arguing something from the end of season statistical point of view.
11/6/2017 2:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2017 2:16:00 PM (view original):
No one is talking about making outs. We're talking about making contact.

Do you or do you not think MLB players should try to improve? Do you think, back in May, Girardi said "Hey, Judge, you're killing the ball. Why not skip BP for a couple of weeks and let some other guys get some extra cuts in"?
No one is saying hitters shouldn’t try to improve.

Do you or do you not think there is a trade off when a hitter changes their approach?
11/6/2017 2:25 PM
For instance, Alcoser Escobar should probably change his approach in a way that will likely result in more strikeouts.

If he’s successful in that change, he’ll walk more and hit the ball harder when he does make contact.

If he’s unsuccessful, he’ll make even more outs than he already does.

He should do it though, because he’s a ****** offensive player without much to lose.

Aaron Judge has a great offensive year. If he successfully changes his approach to reach base even more frequently while still hitting for a ton of power, he’ll go down as an all time great.

But if he’s unsuccessful, he becomes a below average major leaguer.

I’d vote for continuing on with what works.
11/6/2017 2:29 PM
Did you advise Mike Trout to do the same thing? He was pretty good when he said he wanted to cut down on strikeouts, right?
11/6/2017 2:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/6/2017 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Did you advise Mike Trout to do the same thing? He was pretty good when he said he wanted to cut down on strikeouts, right?
Trout didn't change his approach.
11/6/2017 2:35 PM
Why are you thinking anyone is talking about Judge changing his approach altogether? The original complaint was that 208 Ks is too many and he should work on cutting that down somehow.
11/6/2017 2:37 PM
Posted by donaldjl on 11/6/2017 2:37:00 PM (view original):
Why are you thinking anyone is talking about Judge changing his approach altogether? The original complaint was that 208 Ks is too many and he should work on cutting that down somehow.
Yeah...that "somehow" you mention...that's an approach change.
11/6/2017 2:39 PM
Thanks for that explanation of "somehow". Can you now tell me what "altogether" means?
11/6/2017 2:44 PM
How would he only change his approach for the plate appearances when he strikes out?
11/6/2017 2:46 PM
I don't know how that question makes sense. Are you saying each AB is scripted with the outcome decided before he even grabs his bat? Or are you speaking in past tense stats from the season.

Try this... The game is playing at this moment in time. Judge is up. He can hit the ball very hard so he's going to try and utilize that power. Suddenly he's down 0-2 in the count. Maybe here he can try not to crush the ball and rather see the pitch a little longer so he doesn't swing at a ball in the dirt. That's all. It's not perfect and he still may strikeout, but he might just put the ball into play causing the fielders to make a play to get him out where they could make a mistake. Or maybe he actually gets a hit. Or maybe he let's a couple bad pitches go by and the pitcher screws up and hangs one that he hits a country mile.
11/6/2017 3:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...13|14|15|16|17...21 Next ▸
2017 World Series Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.