Does the RH/LH Advantage Impact Walks? Topic

If the hitter is the opposite as the pitcher, they get an advantage for hits, but does that also apply to things like walks, HBP, etc?
10/24/2017 3:25 PM
It would make sense that it impacts walks. IRL, it's often harder to see the ball from a pitcher that throws from the same side.
10/24/2017 3:44 PM
From Contrarian's pinned thread concerning the decision tree...note that WIS does NOT use actual platoon splits in determining outcomes of the PAs. They use a standard (and constant) platoon adjustment.

Is this relevant?

He went on to say it is very clear that the identity of the batter is a greater factor than the identity of the pitcher in determining whether a PA ends up as a BB. This tells me that the hitter's BB rate numbers will be more consistent than those of the pitcher.
10/24/2017 5:15 PM (edited)
Here's a fun one to read. JohnGPF's luck or random chance thread...

https://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?topicID=354542
10/24/2017 5:24 PM
I'm pretty sure there is (in WiS) no platoon advantage for walks and HBP. I think this was in one of the decision tree threads. And IIRC this is bad, since there is a real life platoon advantage on walks.
10/24/2017 5:48 PM
And I think the advantage is just on hit/no-hit. Conditional on being a hit, there is no platoon effect on # of bases.
10/24/2017 5:49 PM
That's what I thought. I have some vague recollection of reading it in a decision tree thread a while ago too. Good to confirm, thanks
10/24/2017 6:17 PM
I also believe the 4.5% platoon advantage is only on the hit/no-hit determination, and not used for other outcomes like BB or HBP that are determined at a different point in the decision tree.
10/25/2017 5:24 PM
I have operated for several years under the assumption the platoon hike applies to hits only. I've seen nothing to change my mind, but can't find any post where it's discussed in a thread. I don't track HBP stats, they are sort of an "edge" deal in my mind. When drafting, I rely on the BB/100 number when considering walk potential, and it rarely lets me down. The hitter's bb/100pa number seems to trump the low bb/9# of the pitcher. that's how I play it at least.
10/25/2017 7:05 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 10/24/2017 5:15:00 PM (view original):
From Contrarian's pinned thread concerning the decision tree...note that WIS does NOT use actual platoon splits in determining outcomes of the PAs. They use a standard (and constant) platoon adjustment.

Is this relevant?

He went on to say it is very clear that the identity of the batter is a greater factor than the identity of the pitcher in determining whether a PA ends up as a BB. This tells me that the hitter's BB rate numbers will be more consistent than those of the pitcher.
And though someone (named John) argued with me years ago about this, to think that the batter is the bigger factor in whether or not he is walked is just nutty. Good pitchers can throw strikes if they want to be sure to throw strikes... it is up to their aim before it is up to the batter to react to the pitch! #Der

Furthermore, it is not easy to keep fouling off pitches, in order to get to called balls. One either eventually misses or hits a fair (or catchable) ball.
10/26/2017 10:49 PM (edited)
Posted by redwingscup on 10/25/2017 7:05:00 PM (view original):
I have operated for several years under the assumption the platoon hike applies to hits only. I've seen nothing to change my mind, but can't find any post where it's discussed in a thread. I don't track HBP stats, they are sort of an "edge" deal in my mind. When drafting, I rely on the BB/100 number when considering walk potential, and it rarely lets me down. The hitter's bb/100pa number seems to trump the low bb/9# of the pitcher. that's how I play it at least.
And that (in addition to batter salaries) is a big reason that the game is skewed to high OBP/BB batters. They tend to plague our pitchers.
10/26/2017 1:23 PM
Yes, the pitcher should easily have more impact on the at bat than the hitter, whose 3 hits out of 10 at bats is deemed to be successful.
10/26/2017 11:11 PM
The batter has slightly more influence than the pitcher -over the long run- with regards to the PA.
10/27/2017 8:32 AM
I'll put it this way. If Greg Maddux were pitching to Joey Votto and he really, really didn't want to walk him, it would be quite rare for for the result to be a BB. Even if the PA lasted a dozen pitches, it would still be very unlikely for enough of them to be thrown outside the strike zone!

(Never mind the number of Maddux pitches outside the zone that the ump tended to call strikes....) ;-`

That's why in real life it's so frustrating to see the good guys' batter just going up and hacking against a pitcher who is obviously having big-time control problems. It's the pitcher's pitches that are either in the zone or not.
10/27/2017 12:33 PM (edited)
Does the RH/LH Advantage Impact Walks? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.