OL Strength vs Blocking Topic

I have heard that for run blocking that strength is the most important attribute, but I have also heard its blocking. For pass blocking I have heard that blocking is the key attribute, and now I hear that no its strength (due to changes where strong DL get the most push now). So which is it guys. Which do you think is the attribute that is more important for run blocking and why. What about the pass?

**Note** Or you could totally go for guys with good str/blk like me if you run a balanced offense. But this is for those that run primarily one or the other.
10/27/2017 8:14 AM
Your question is a good one. I doubt if anyone has the definite answer though.
I have heard the same as you ; strength for running and blocking for passing. I recruit accordingly with a certain flexibliity depending on what looks good.
10/27/2017 8:34 AM
I have stuck with strength for when I am instilling a heavy run team and its always worked well. It will confuse you a bit if you go by guess ratings though. I know I recruit guys with upper 60s str and low 50s block, and guess will have them listed as a much better pass blocker. And vice versa...my guys with high blocking show as better run blockers. I just haven't seen that pan out in the game. But I also recruit more of a balanced line. So I'm not sure I would see it in my team.
10/27/2017 8:47 AM
I run mostly passing offenses, and have always recruited for blocking more than strength. I don't see that less than ideal strength affects pass protection very much at all. Especially for short to medium passes.
10/27/2017 12:01 PM
Get the best damn OL you can see and then pray. It is a mystery.??
10/27/2017 12:35 PM
My West Liberty is an all pass SG team. Yeah typically I like OL with the higher blocking skill for passing. This present ongoing recruiting session I have had to go with higher strength guys due to a crowded Rockne D2 landscape and the availibility of these being some of the better local guys that I could see. I would have preferred the opposite but will try to next season get guys with better blocking. Being FR I'm not too worried about it as they won't play anyway. The nice thing about the OL is they are graded as a unit and not individuals.
10/27/2017 12:58 PM
Posted by nikhoskins on 10/27/2017 8:47:00 AM (view original):
I have stuck with strength for when I am instilling a heavy run team and its always worked well. It will confuse you a bit if you go by guess ratings though. I know I recruit guys with upper 60s str and low 50s block, and guess will have them listed as a much better pass blocker. And vice versa...my guys with high blocking show as better run blockers. I just haven't seen that pan out in the game. But I also recruit more of a balanced line. So I'm not sure I would see it in my team.
That may be due to the influence of other stats. Would have to look at the formulas to be sure. And it's possible that I just reversed the fields on the web site LOL
10/27/2017 4:02 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 10/27/2017 4:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nikhoskins on 10/27/2017 8:47:00 AM (view original):
That may be due to the influence of other stats. Would have to look at the formulas to be sure. And it's possible that I just reversed the fields on the web site LOL
oh my oh my oh my
10/28/2017 12:12 PM
That's why when I use guess ratings, I always do a final "sanity" check before I pull the trigger on a recruit.
11/1/2017 10:15 AM
for whatever it is worth I read once that athleticism is important for pass blocking. If you go into the practice settings and compare run blocking and pass blocking settings that would seem to be the case. My run blocking numbers are conditioning 23, strength 38, agility 15, blocking 39. pass blocking numbers are conditioning 27, strength 31, agility 20, blocking 39. As you can see, the conditioning and agility numbers are higher and strength is lower in pass blocking practice. Blocking did not change. In the players guide you can see increasing the conditioning and agility will improve athleticism. I had a coach once tell us that pass blocking is like wrestling while running backwards so you damn well better be in shape and be agile.
11/15/2017 6:07 PM
I always thought you'd want your strong OL against the other teams "bull rushers" to cut down on sacks and stuffs.
11/19/2017 11:45 AM
I've always based it on my existing roster. Whichever area is weaker, blocking or strength, has been the area I've prioritized. Both are obviously essential.
11/21/2017 5:22 PM
Here is my answer: I believe that STR for running and BLK for passing is the key. I recruit accordingly. I also "think" that BLK has more influence on outside runs vs inside runs, and STR plays more for the inside runs.

HOWEVER: These attributes become less "clear cut" when facing top 5 talent teams. At that level of competition....EVERYTHING matters. At those levels STR/BLK will be "equivalent" among all teams...so then the other factors such as "TECH" become much, much more important. You cannot get differentiation between 89 and 86 STR, but you CAN get differentiation between 77 and 47 TECH. (Not to mention FIQ)
11/22/2017 9:22 AM
OL Strength vs Blocking Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.