Even worse than yesterday’s attempt.

Zorzii wasn’t randomly assigned his recruits. He targeted specific players, he went after them, he won them. He knew they were good players. Unless he’s an idiot, and I don’t think he is, he knew each of those players came with a chance to leave early. He recruited them anyway, assuming that risk.
11/2/2017 6:46 PM
Posted by craigaltonw on 11/1/2017 2:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by snafu4u on 11/1/2017 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnsensing on 11/1/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by l80r20 on 11/1/2017 12:09:00 PM (view original):
"I am only top 165 this season because EES are not fair."

"Elite talent is a commodity. It costs what it costs. You know the risks when you recruit elite talent, and everyone plays under the same conditions. It is not unfair."

Those two posts separate the wheat from the chaff.
As usual, spud misses the point. In any event, 90 on the EE board is not "elite talent." Although I do agree that "fairness" is the wrong metric to be looking at here, since it's entirely subjective.

Two easy changes remove this issue, and also (much more importantly) make it easier for coaches to move to new programs and recruit in session 2: (1) lessen the comparative power/value of APs; (2) make many recruits have a "late" signing preference. Boom -- problem solved.
Except that every recruit not currently in a heated battle between DI's signs with a DII the first cycle of Session 2. DII's just need to camp on mid level DI recruits and accumulate AP's first session and it is near impossible for any DI school--even elite A+ Prestige with Max AP--to make a move as the first cycle of processing the all sign with the DII that has been camping on them. There is no penalty at all for DII schools recruiting "Elite" (by DII standards) players. If they get challenged session 1 then they can move their points on to another recruit before session 2, but if unchallenged they can amass such a lead that by second session its a guarantee. Would love to watch the press conference where the kid explains "After UConn lost their entire back court early entry to the NBA draft, coach not only offered me a scholarship, but also a start, and guaranteed minutes! Even though its been my dream to play DI ball since I was a kid, and I am blown away by the offer to not just play, but start at an elite school with such a rich history and prestige as UConn, I must turn down their offer in favor of Lander. [the crowd of reporters gasps in disbelief] The coach from Lander has been calling me as much as he is allowed since recruiting began, and even though I have always dreamed of playing at a school like UConn, never mind starting, I don't think it would be fair to Lander since he made so many phone calls. I mean, he really tried and put the effort in, so I am forgoing my hopes and dreams to do the nice thing for Lander's coach."
In this game, coaching D1 is designed to be difficult. It presents many strategy angles that make decision making complex.

"My elite primary recruitIng targets leave my school early." Waaah! "My secondary recruiting targets are getting too much attention from D2." Waaah!

Another strategy game, Risk... we have all seen more skilled players lose on unlucky dice rolls. But if you're playing Risk, you know that dice rolls can be your largest opponent, larger than your actual opponents. That's a part of that game. That's a part of this game.

If EE is ruining your squad for 2 full seasons, try a new approach. Recruit less elite kids with great skills; compile a line-up that's impeccably balanced with recruits on a talent level almost guaranteed to stay 4 years. I don't know... try something new?
Oh man, I love Risk. Great game.

Risk plays out kind of like how recruiting works. You choose your territories and allocate armies. Then you decide when to battle and when to retreat. You choose which territories to prioritize and which to vacate.

Ultimately it can come down to rolling the dice but you make a lot of decisions prior to this and can influence what happens by quite a bit.
11/2/2017 6:51 PM
EEs, on the other hand, don't really work like this.

It's like if you went to go play Risk and you just chose which territories to start out with. At this point you just sit back and watch the game play out. You don't control anything anymore and just roll dice. Sure, you got to choose the initial starting point but there isn't anything else you're doing throughout the game.

I find the 1st game a lot of fun. I don't find the 2nd game very competitive or fun.
11/2/2017 6:53 PM
Posted by Benis on 11/2/2017 6:53:00 PM (view original):
EEs, on the other hand, don't really work like this.

It's like if you went to go play Risk and you just chose which territories to start out with. At this point you just sit back and watch the game play out. You don't control anything anymore and just roll dice. Sure, you got to choose the initial starting point but there isn't anything else you're doing throughout the game.

I find the 1st game a lot of fun. I don't find the 2nd game very competitive or fun.
It’s like you graduated from snark school with a major in poorly thought out analogies. But at least you graduated.

Relying on EE caliber talent in HD is more like trying to hold Asia in Risk. It’s powerful, but it’s volatile. It’s hard to hold for the whole game.

Its a strategy you can pursue. One among many.

11/2/2017 7:01 PM
Man, I wish Rupp could get to 200 D1. I bet that would be a lot of fun and would represent "realism" a lot better. Every top team wouldn't think FB/Press are the only way. Every top team wouldn't think "I have to have top 5 recruits at all positions." And, I imagine, the days of the zorzis complaining about losing 4 EE would be long gone.
11/2/2017 7:33 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/2/2017 7:33:00 PM (view original):
Man, I wish Rupp could get to 200 D1. I bet that would be a lot of fun and would represent "realism" a lot better. Every top team wouldn't think FB/Press are the only way. Every top team wouldn't think "I have to have top 5 recruits at all positions." And, I imagine, the days of the zorzis complaining about losing 4 EE would be long gone.
I am at Phelan.
11/2/2017 8:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.