I picked up Redlands in Crum and got a 150-200 RPI team with 4 mediocre or above average JRs returning, everyone else imma cut.

I'm curious, if you're recruiting for 8 players in one season, what attributes are you prioritizing? Obvi only 6 freshman. But building a whole team from scratch is exciting... what type of recruit are you focused on?

Also curious, let's say you keep only 3 for next season. Let's say you keep 5. Who are the 3? Who are the 5?

Redlands Roster

11/2/2017 8:09 PM
Don't recruit eight. Only recruit the best four to six you can get to maximize your resources and accept you won't be great this coming season, then have a full six slots worth of resources again the following season, and again recruit less than the full six. Rinse and repeat.
11/2/2017 8:22 PM
Agreed. Six or less would be best to maximize resources. If you want to go 8 it can be done.

The top two Attributes I would focus on is Athleticism and rebounding for 5-6 of the players because your new players are going to miss shots and you aren't going to have the resources to spread out for dominate players everywhere. Get one potentially dominate scoring center if possible.

Last 2-3 spots for guards with high Athleticism, speed, and defense. Get one potentially dominate scorer for your backcourt.

My approach would be to basically get at least one frontcourt and one backcourt star, swarm the boards, and play stout defense. That would be the approach for season one. My two non-freshman players would likely be D2 JUCOs because they are easier to get and would cost less resources.
11/2/2017 8:52 PM
Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 11/2/2017 8:52:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. Six or less would be best to maximize resources. If you want to go 8 it can be done.

The top two Attributes I would focus on is Athleticism and rebounding for 5-6 of the players because your new players are going to miss shots and you aren't going to have the resources to spread out for dominate players everywhere. Get one potentially dominate scoring center if possible.

Last 2-3 spots for guards with high Athleticism, speed, and defense. Get one potentially dominate scorer for your backcourt.

My approach would be to basically get at least one frontcourt and one backcourt star, swarm the boards, and play stout defense. That would be the approach for season one. My two non-freshman players would likely be D2 JUCOs because they are easier to get and would cost less resources.
Thank you, Beagles!

Rebuiliding on rebounding makes a ton of sense to my brain. I just modified my dog-eared recruits! Gonna be fun.
11/2/2017 10:30 PM
I agree, do not try and recruit eight. Only recruit had for four to six and take two walk-on's this year. If it were me, I would go hard for only four and such up one year without cutting all the dead wood. You can still get the benefits next season. I cannot see potentials, but the IQ's are fairly decent. West Coast is so deep in D1 talent, and D2 talent you can turn that team around quick.
11/3/2017 7:31 AM
Since you are only going to get resources for 6, you may as well only recruit 6.

I would cut Harris, Burley, Lowe & Lipe this year. I would recruit a full starting 5 with one high-potential guy to redshirt. Keep the juniors, Lange and Preston for backups. Lange and Preston are barely above worthless, but they are slightly better than a walk-on. You can cut them next year to ensure you have 6 schollies and full money available for recruiting in your second season.

Next year, graduate the four juniors, cut Lange and Preston. Again, recruit a starting 5 and redshirt a high-potential backup.

Then your third season, you have an all-sophomore starting 5, with your freshmen 5 (+ 1 redshirt frosh) backing them up. By the time you have all juniors and seniors, your team will be *really* good.
11/3/2017 2:29 PM
I'd cut them all right away- Harris, Burley, Lowe, Lipe, Lange, Preston. See ya!

Bottom line - sign as many good players as you can. Don't just sign guys to fill spots- that's how bad players get stuck on teams. Also, this team plays M2M already, so you can run with just 10 guys.

Unless you're looking to change up O/D?
11/3/2017 2:49 PM
Imma cut just about everyone but the 4 JR's. I might take walk-ons but I don't want to see these kids faces no moh.

I'm rebuilding Chapman in Smith, too, and am currently Moderate on 7 recruits in Phase 1, with a few back ups if those don't work. I feel great about all the recruits... no depth chart fillers.

I figure no recruiting period can be as difficult as getting 7-8 great players in one class. So, worst case scenario, I learn a lot.
11/3/2017 5:07 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.