Modern Baseball Era Ballot Topic

Marvin Miller, maybe Lou Whitaker (I think he deserves it more than Trammell). Garvey abd Mattingly do not belong in the hall, and Mattingly was my favorite player when he was playing.
11/6/2017 11:18 PM
Trammell is a given. He’s a for sure HoFer.

Mattingley is interesting, but he gets a knock cuz he was a first baseman. He puts those numbers up as a MIF, he’s in
11/6/2017 11:35 PM
its a shame miller didnt get in while he was alive.

miller
trammell

tommy john should get in as a contributor........started tommy john surgery.
11/6/2017 11:50 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/6/2017 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ortails on 11/6/2017 6:29:00 PM (view original):
I'm opening the Hall of Really Good in Oneonta.

Its pretty close to Cooperstown, but its not quite Cooperstown so it needs its own title.
So somehow in your mind fame = greatness?

Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian are famous. So very good comes in somewhere below them?
I didn't name the building. What criteria do you base putting people in the Hall of Fame on?
11/7/2017 12:16 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 11/6/2017 11:35:00 PM (view original):
Trammell is a given. He’s a for sure HoFer.

Mattingley is interesting, but he gets a knock cuz he was a first baseman. He puts those numbers up as a MIF, he’s in
I think he gets knocked out due to a short period of time when he was one of the best hitters in baseball before injuries slowed him down
11/7/2017 1:14 PM
Posted by edsortails on 11/7/2017 12:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/6/2017 8:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ortails on 11/6/2017 6:29:00 PM (view original):
I'm opening the Hall of Really Good in Oneonta.

Its pretty close to Cooperstown, but its not quite Cooperstown so it needs its own title.
So somehow in your mind fame = greatness?

Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian are famous. So very good comes in somewhere below them?
I didn't name the building. What criteria do you base putting people in the Hall of Fame on?
Personally, I'd put guys in based primarily performance, though I can see room for fame to matter in certain cases (Ichiro seems like a good example of this - seems to have contributed significantly to the increase in Japanese players moving to MLB, increased merchandise sales in Japan, etc. and was also a nationally popular player for many years in the US).

But the point is that the name in no way implies that "very good" isn't good enough, and people love to pretend that it does. The name of the building doesn't inherently imply some kind of elite greatness requirement to get in. It doesn't even imply goodness. I don't know who the first person to make a "Hall of Very Good" comment was, but it's a shame, because it's such a popular comment to make now and it doesn't even make sense. If it were called the Hall of Great you'd have an argument.
11/7/2017 3:10 PM
Whaddadouche

I know, tragic that one needs to resort to insults and name calling. You do remain the single largest bore in these forums, what with all that dripping pseudointellectual rhetoric.

Those that were good at their craft don't deserve same level of recognition that those who excelled to greatness. Hall of Fame, while a distasteful title to your sense of definition justice, is reserved for only those that performed at the highest level of their form of contribution to the game.
11/7/2017 3:28 PM
Brad Radke
Edgar Martinez

That's it.
11/7/2017 3:30 PM
No Dwight Evans lovers out there?
11/13/2017 2:40 AM
Love myself some Dewey...not up for vote however.
11/13/2017 6:15 AM
Announcement tomorrow at 6 pm EST. I think a couple players will get elected due to Morgan's letter in a show of support for clean players. Basically, they'll be thumbing their nose at writer's who continue to vote for Bonds & Clemens. Clearly Morgan can influence a Veteran's Committee!
12/9/2017 8:22 PM
And the Hall of Fame gets even more diluted.
12/10/2017 6:28 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/10/2017 6:28:00 PM (view original):
And the Hall of Fame gets even more diluted.
Just wait until they add Lou Whitaker!
12/11/2017 1:59 AM
Jack Morris got in? I mean I’m a Tigers astros fan but ewww. Almost as bad as Catfish.
12/11/2017 3:25 AM
◂ Prev 12
Modern Baseball Era Ballot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.