Dynamic Pricing and Salary caps Topic

I'm curious. Has anyone else had any issues with salary cap leagues partially filling prior to a price increase and then completely filling up AFTER a price increase and the commish NOT re-checking the roster $$ amounts and allowing the league to commence with many teams EXCEEDING the stated salary cap (due to the price increase)??

I'm in a league wherein 9 owners (of 24) were allowed to exceed the salary cap because they selected their players before the price increase and just entered their teams with total salaries in excess of the cap!

This is (apparently) gonna be allowed. I'm frustrated as I spent many hours adjusting and re-adjusting my roster to make sure I stayed under the cap. Now I don't even feel like running the team.

Has this happened elsewhere?
11/7/2017 12:34 PM
Yeah, happens quite a bit. Most commissioners are mainly concerned with filling their league and don't want to bother going back to refill it if a few owners happened to have $1M or $2M extra on their rosters!
11/7/2017 3:00 PM
OK then. No more theme cap leagues for me!!
11/7/2017 3:12 PM
It is possible this has happened but there is no way this has happened ‘quite a bit’. It is very dishonest to recruit players into a league and not share the possibility that they may facing teams that aren’t subject to the same salary cap.
11/7/2017 4:13 PM
You'd think WIS would not like having a situation wherein their customers feel unfairly treated and refuse to join certain leagues, like Theme Leagues.
No wonder themes are hard to fill. I certainly won't play one again when (apparently) even the salary cap rule can't be depended on. Highly unfair and VERY lazy of the commissioners who do this knowingly!
11/7/2017 4:44 PM
So I submitted a ticket to admin. complaining about this situation in this league I joined. (See initial post above!)
I received a reply today from admin. and am pasting it below for everyone's info/knowledge.

"We allow theme league commissioners to decide whether teams should be reconfigured after a salary update. It's a policy that we're reviewing to see if there's a better way to handle it.

I've removed you from the league and added a $12.95 credit to your account for a new team."

Obviously, WIS DOES care about their customers overall happiness and they are aware that these salary "updates" occurring in the middle of leagues forming is causing issues. Speaking as a user only, it seems to me to be an either/or choice. Either every commissioner of leagues that form overlapping a salary update is faced with additional work and hassle (re-checking ALL roster salary totals after price updates and requiring owners who have already entered to re-adjust their rosters---- a fairly big hassle in the minds of many it seems) OR

??? What? I don't have the answer, for sure. I just know that NOW we have a situation wherein we don't know whether or not a Theme league salary cap means anything........ because many commissioners are unwilling to enforce it when an update occurs in the middle of filling their league!! It's a bad situation.

My only answer (for me personally) is to stop playing theme leagues completely, as I don't want to be in leagues that allow exceeding a cap limit just because someone entered their team before the update. It means I work to get some roster at (say) 104.9 million and then have to compete against someone in the same 105 Mil. cap league who has a roster of (???) who knows how much (could be several million) over the cap because of the increase in value of his players due to the update. It's (obviously) gonna hurt theme league signups if others feel as I do.

I imagine WIS would appreciate input from other users of this site.
11/10/2017 12:09 PM
I think you should post this in Sim League Baseball forum rather than this one as this is for specific theme leagues and doesn’t get the views that this would receive on the other forum.
11/10/2017 6:33 PM
Bumping this cuz it’s funny. Whining over a few people being $1 mil over the cap. Btw, your team was winning 70% of its games and was in first when seble took over
11/28/2017 4:42 PM
The quality of the commissioner of a theme league is probably the most important thing I consider before I even click on the theme league thread.
12/7/2017 10:04 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 11/28/2017 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Bumping this cuz it’s funny. Whining over a few people being $1 mil over the cap. Btw, your team was winning 70% of its games and was in first when seble took over
Dumb comment. Rules are rules. What the F does a salary cap mean?? The commissioner HIMSELF was over the cap!! There were MORE than a few over the cap and some were way more than 1 Mil! How my team was doing is completely irrelevant!! I joined a cap league. The commissioner wouldn't even follow his OWN rules. I sent in a ticket. Seble offered to credit me. I accepted. He took over the team. End of story.

It wasn't FUNNY at all. It was a hassle for everybody involved! Including seble, I would guess. Lesson learned. I now generally won't play in theme leagues.
Who loses? I suppose WIS due to less play from me. Why? Because some folks won't follow simple basic rules. Why? Ask them? Too lazy? Want an advantage? Whatever their excuse I won't participate in poorly run leagues!
12/13/2017 9:59 AM
So you have one bad experience with a theme league... Now you will generally never play theme leagues again. Maybe a bit of an overreaction? Do some research... there are plenty of standout commissioners who run well organized leagues.
12/13/2017 1:35 PM
Thank you for the input. I am in a theme now. Very well run IMO. By Sinfonian. Let's put it this way........ IF I have any doubt about how well the league will be run I won't join. I learned my lesson. Result is I enter VERY few theme leagues.
12/13/2017 2:19 PM
Dynamic Pricing and Salary caps Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.