Advice for Struggling team Topic

It's all a learning process. And it's one of the most fun parts of the game. Some seasons I think I have a competitive team and they struggle to make .500. Other times I think I am rebuilding and they go 40-25 out of the block and I end up going for it.

Like mike said as well, there are many many ways to win. Determining which your team is best suited for and what method you like best is the challenge.
11/8/2017 1:58 PM
Virtually anyone is better. Looking at your current team, I'd be tempted to put Abe at 2B, McGee in CF and Mendez at 1B. Not ideal but you can't have 66 range in CF.
11/8/2017 1:58 PM
Now I'm curious, you're not down with the idea of Moreneo at 2B? Keep Martis at 3B for now, McGee in CF until a replacement is found?
11/8/2017 2:08 PM
I wouldn't say you have no idea. Seems to me you have a talent base, you just need to put them in more optimal situations. Shoring up the defense a little should make all your pitchers perform better. As Mike always says its plus-minus. I'm an owner who doesn't mind sacrificing a batting order spot with a defense-only player. Minor trade, waiver, or leftover free agent, see if you can dig up an 85-90 Range / 75-80 Glove. Anything he bats over .220 would be acceptable to me. You've got your SS and 2B. Move your other hitters around into better defensive positions for them; see if some might be good fits for righty-lefty platoons. I had this same problem when I started, what the recommendations say are "average" defensive ratings could actually be considered minimums. Without range at all positions, you give up more base hits that don't show up as negatives or errors.

11/8/2017 2:10 PM
This game is a lot of fun and I do enjoy learning. I am appreciating all the help. I have moved Abe to 2B, Magee to CF and Mendez to 1B. Let's see how that plays out.
11/8/2017 3:38 PM
Remind me in a week or so and I'll run the results thru my defensive formula to see if you've "won/lost" by making those changes.
11/8/2017 3:55 PM
You guys might think I'm nuts but Ryuu Yamaguchi is at AA, I've actually played worse bats in CF.

11/8/2017 4:26 PM
I very seriously considered him for CF. I'll give him a try.
11/8/2017 5:01 PM
Moved Abe back to 1B, Magee back to 2B made Mendez DH and called up Yamaguchi and made him CF. Let's see how that works
11/8/2017 5:16 PM
If Yamagughi isn't cutting it in CF to your liking, he'd be my first guy off the bench. Top of defensive replacement for every category.
11/8/2017 5:45 PM
Ok sounds good. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks again for all your help.
11/8/2017 5:50 PM
For what it's worth I won 6-2. My pitching was excellent and Yamaguchi went 3 for 4!
11/8/2017 7:39 PM
Glancing at your league's "advanced standings", it looks like you are 7-13 in 1-run games. Your team's Runs Against (RA) is about league average, while your Runs Scored (RS) is well below average... and nearly a full run per game less than the division leader you are chasing.
The improved defense up the middle should help you, but generating a bit more offense would go a long way towards helping your overall run differential and coming away victorious in some of those close games. An impact bat in the middle of your line-up would make a big difference.
I always look at RC27 (at the far right under "extended" hitting stats) to see who is getting the job done and who isn't cutting it.
It might be difficult, but I'd look to acquire a lefty or switch-hitting power bat to plug into the 3-hole and force everybody else down a slot in the order.
11/9/2017 11:05 AM
Yes that's a good idea. I will try to make that happen. Working on it now.... Good advice! Thank you
11/9/2017 12:04 PM
Again, as mike said, there are lots of different ways to build a successful team. Although what Outlaw is saying is correct, to get a big bat to play #3 in your lineup is going to cost you a lot in the trade market and what you will get in return will probably be some 33 years old plus who is on the decline. Rarely do teams trade their 25-28 year old big bats.

For the time being, D may be the way to go unless a too good deal pops up. A lot of these fixes will be best done in the offseason or pushing towards the trade deadline when teams become more willing to sell.
11/9/2017 1:48 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Advice for Struggling team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.