Relievers getting crushed Topic

I have a couple guys like this guy getting stomped on. I am playing in Burlington which is definitely a pitchers park I am #2 in the league in fielding but I have several relievers like this guy who seem to be pitching BP

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=7047289

i don’t see anything abnormal. I am not having the pitchers throw too many pitches (as far as I can tell). I have a defensive catcher coming in late many games who has a solid PC. Starting pitching is great, bullpen losing far too many games.

this guy had two season over 5 era then rattled off 3 straight
seasons of era of 3.30-3.70

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=7230433

does role matter SuA vs CL? Does having a defined inning when they come in vs. “any” matter?

11/7/2017 6:24 PM
First, Cordero isn't that good. 61 VL isn't even BL average. 2nd, he's been in 44 games and, in 3, he gave up a crooked number. In 6, he gave up a single run. Math sez he's pitched in 35 games and allowed no earned runs. IOW, in almost 80% of his appearances, he's been great. In almost 93% of his appearances, he's been good. So, in less than 7% of his appearances, he's gotten crushed.
11/7/2017 6:32 PM
I didn't look at the 2nd guy but I imagine it's pretty much the same thing.

In short, you can't look at overall stats for those low inning pitchers. A couple of bad outings and their season stats will look terrible.
11/7/2017 6:45 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the explanation Mike. It seems lately they have been taking turns being awful which likely impacts what I am seeing and making my view skewed.

also looking at everyone I don’t have a single pitcher starter or reliever with a vL > 68 and two starters with vL of 59. Obviously the higher the better but perhaps these starters stats are more normalized by the fact they have pitched 3-4x more innings.
11/7/2017 6:59 PM (edited)
Correct. I don't know YOUR league average pitcher but, as a general rule, 65-70 splits are about league average/low end in Coop. But, yeah, a starter can give up 3 over the course of 6 IP and have a 4.50 ERA for the game. RP gives up 3 in 1 IP and he's sitting at 27.00. And he'll have to be perfect over his next 4 appearances to be the same as the SP.

Look at appearances, like I showed in my first post, for RP. If he's crap once every four outings, he's a problem.
11/7/2017 10:52 PM
Nothing wrong with the 2 guys you have, but if you want to optimize them, make their pitch count low, their pull number high and pick up a few relievers with vsL over 75 with good pitches but bad VsR (usually those guys are easier to pick up. Most owners don't covet them as much). That way as soon as a leftie comes up (in theory) your manager will make the switch, then switch back when a rightie comes up. Play the odds.
11/8/2017 7:40 AM
Relievers getting crushed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.