Posted by damag on 12/13/2017 8:47:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, bit of a head scratcher but considering you said you're in a merged world, is it more common to see that level of player up for grabs? Can't imagine it'd happen in either of the worlds I play in.

You must not be in the NL/AL East. Mike basically made the Stanton trade.
1/3/2018 3:18 PM
I feel like I gave up a lot.
1/3/2018 4:04 PM
Season over. Won 68 and finished 30th in scoring. Would have been a lot worse without Jo-jo.
1/23/2018 6:12 PM
While it will take another season to be sure, the three pitchers I traded for him didn't develop like I thought they would. Might end up being the Babe Ruth trade.
1/23/2018 6:16 PM
Yeah right.. If that trade was going down without you involved you wouldve blown your lid.. Essentially you traded a good 31 yr old 1b/DH and a meh # 5 pick for what has to be the best hitter in the league. That being said you have two seasons more of Beaven and theres probably a 30% chance that he doesnt resign. If he doesnt resign it was a fair enough deal, if he does resign you raw dogged an inexperienced player.
1/24/2018 10:17 AM
Posted by willsauve on 1/24/2018 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Yeah right.. If that trade was going down without you involved you wouldve blown your lid.. Essentially you traded a good 31 yr old 1b/DH and a meh # 5 pick for what has to be the best hitter in the league. That being said you have two seasons more of Beaven and theres probably a 30% chance that he doesnt resign. If he doesnt resign it was a fair enough deal, if he does resign you raw dogged an inexperienced player.
No, dumbass, I traded 3 pitchers for Beaven. A #4 pick, #5 pick and a supplemental pick. Don't twist what was traded to fit your agenda. And, FWIW, he's not the best hitter in the league. Probably #2 though.
1/24/2018 10:42 AM
I think I missed something. Didn't MikeT trade a 5th overall pick pitcher, a 4th overall pick pitcher and a setup guy for Jo-jo?

Its the receiving teams job to mold the players they received. If an 18 year old only gains 5 points in his first full season, that's not really on the team that traded him away.

For all stars like Jo-Jo I don't really know if there is a 'fair' trade. But its not something I would have vetoed.

Mike, plans going forward for the next season?
1/24/2018 10:44 AM
I retooled the pitching staff last season and it's mostly intact going into next year. It ended up slightly above average and I'll take that in Indy. Losing 185 innings. Both will re-sign but I don't like the price. I think I have a guy in the minors who can take their spot.

I plan on trying to acquire a couple of hitters. I've still got Brewington(17.9m) and Holt(5.8m) at 35 y/o and under contract but only 52.6m committed altogether. I expect both to decline even further and maybe be 1B/RF quality fielders. With Beavan, they won't be playing 1B so maybe they end up platooning in RF. That opens up LF and 3B, if I keep the rest intact, to add bats. My 2B can play 3B so there is some flexibility.

1/24/2018 11:04 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/24/2018 10:42:00 AM (view original):
No, dumbass, I traded 3 pitchers for Beaven. A #4 pick, #5 pick and a supplemental pick. Don't twist what was traded to fit your agenda. And, FWIW, he's not the best hitter in the league. Probably #2 though.
You traded Fred for Alan with same owner right? Then trade Alan, Carl and Jim for Jojo

So essentially it was Fred, Carl and Jim for JoJo..... Alan the #4 pick is going back to the original team. With all of that being said, Mike is good enough at this game to recognize that the Alan and Carl are poor selections at #4 and #5 and Jim with his one pitch is near useless. If Super Mike wasnt involved in this trade he'd be screaming trade rape in progress..
1/24/2018 11:44 AM
Posted by willsauve on 1/24/2018 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/24/2018 10:42:00 AM (view original):
You traded Fred for Alan with same owner right? Then trade Alan, Carl and Jim for Jojo

So essentially it was Fred, Carl and Jim for JoJo..... Alan the #4 pick is going back to the original team. With all of that being said, Mike is good enough at this game to recognize that the Alan and Carl are poor selections at #4 and #5 and Jim with his one pitch is near useless. If Super Mike wasnt involved in this trade he'd be screaming trade rape in progress..
If you're going to go about it that way, you have to note the other two players involved. I gave up a #48 pitcher(2nd year) for a #63 what I hope is a CF(3rd year). Fred had an OPS of .977. Jo-jo finished at 1.109. Other than age, not much different.

I know you desperately want to paint a picture but, truth is, I thought I gave up too much at the time. I felt the #4 and #5 from the previous draft was too much for a great hitting 1B. But the owner posted him as available and I said something to the effect of "I'd build around that guy but, if you want to move him, pick any 3 players on my roster and I'll take him." He picked 3 and sent the offer. I saw both pitchers as future SP2s with an outside shot at SP1. If I hadn't openly told him to pick 3, I'd have probably rejected it. As Fred suggests, finding a great hitting 1B isn't usually all that difficult. Filling out a pitching staff is.
1/24/2018 12:04 PM
hockey1984 and I both said we don't see young cost controlled power hitters going on the block in the worlds we play in. My take is, that owner was looking to move a guy I build around till his power fades. For whatever reason, he was considered expendable.

1/24/2018 12:18 PM
He has a lot of 1B-types on his team. My guess is he knew Jo-jo would bring in the biggest return.
1/24/2018 12:21 PM
'But the owner posted him as available and I said something to the effect of "I'd build around that guy but, if you want to move him, pick any 3 players on my roster and I'll take him." He picked 3 and sent the offer'

This part always gets me. Not against Mike but against other owners that are against the trades.

Years ago I was poised to make a playoff run with my SD team and one of my top 3 starters goes down for the rest of the season. I'm scrambling as the trade deadline is almost upon us.

Another owner had posted in the forum weeks ago asking if anyone wanted their pitcher. No one had responded up until this point. So I send him a message saying I need that guy and to make me an offer.

The offer he made was very very lopsided in my favor. He picked one guy that, at that time pretty much anyone who saw the trade knew wasn't going to make the majors. The pitcher he was trading away was 29, had $7.5 million for a few more years and once I got him in SD was pitching 300+ innings a year.

So the trade went through, a lot of the owners agreed that no one else had made an offer for the guy so it was no ones place to complain. The other half said it was the ripoff of the century.

But from my point of view, what the heck am I supposed to do? Or what was mike supposed to do in this trade? Say 'No. Take more players. These guys are better. The trade will get vetoed if I don't give you more better players.' If that starts happening, what is even the point?
1/24/2018 12:49 PM
There are always going to be "If I knew that's all you wanted, I'd have made an offer" users out there. I'll have to check to see how long Jo-jo was "available" until I got an offer. I know no one else responded to the WC post.
1/24/2018 12:57 PM
He was listed as available at 11:55 AM. I accepted the offer 3:30 later.
MikeT23 Ignition 12/11/2017 3:25 PM Well, damn, you found 3 good ones. But I'm a man of my word and my hitting is the epitome of suck. I'm in!
MikeT23 Ignition 12/11/2017 2:10 PM Well, I am serious. If you see three guys on my team you like, send it over. I'll take him.
Gigz34 Sand Hogs 12/11/2017 2:00 PM No my team isn't good and i would like to rip it up and rebuild
MikeT23 Ignition 12/11/2017 1:47 PM And by "roster", I'm including minor leagues.
MikeT23 Ignition 12/11/2017 1:31 PM Is he a clubhouse cancer? Don't see many hitters like him as available. Pick three guys off my roster. I can use him.
1/24/2018 1:08 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.