Best hitter you've seen with the worst VRH? Topic

I nominate Wascar Aguilera. Has a vRH of 25, yet still has a career .882 OPS (and isn't platooned either). His 4 GG's at SS (at the age of 25) is icing on the cake.
11/13/2017 8:03 PM
Alex Morton isn’t quite as good, but I’ll gladly nominate him for 2nd place. 13 vR, 3 GGs, 40 hrs as a rookie. His BA will never be great, but he has some big games in the right matchups.
11/13/2017 8:54 PM
Aguilera is a perfect example as to why Batting Eye is by far the offensive rating I value the most.
11/14/2017 11:59 AM
Wow, .810 OPS as a righty. At least Aguilera has the benefit of being a switch hitter. Just goes to show that elite ratings in the other areas can make up for one really bad one.
11/14/2017 1:55 PM
Posted by mbriese on 11/14/2017 11:59:00 AM (view original):
Aguilera is a perfect example as to why Batting Eye is by far the offensive rating I value the most.
It's really important when you're using one dimensional, or flawed, players. If I'm using a guy only for his D, I like a good eye and, hopefully, SPD/BR. I worry a lot less about it if the dude is a masher with 80+ in the other hitting categories.
11/14/2017 2:00 PM
Posted by brianplath on 11/14/2017 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Wow, .810 OPS as a righty. At least Aguilera has the benefit of being a switch hitter. Just goes to show that elite ratings in the other areas can make up for one really bad one.
I agree that's the main takeaway. I'd probably have shied away from drafting Morton except that I'd already seen a similar hitter having a very good career. In that same world there's a LHP with 200+ career wins who's up for the HOF every season, all his ratings were elite except his vsR never got above 66. Great ratings matter. Contrast that with the player with five totally mediocre hitting ratings between 50 and 60, that player likely never gets out of AAA. And you see all the time, players with ratings all around 70, owners asking "what's wrong with this guy?"

11/14/2017 2:08 PM
Agreed damag. I've got Livan Gallardo on one of my teams as a good example of the higher end type of mediocre. He's either a below avg defensive SS with a good bat or a great defensive 2B/3B with an okay bat. If I could take 60 points out of his vR and sprinkle them everywhere else he's be more valuable IMO.

Still a valuable player, I just remember thinking at the time I signed him how much of a stud he would be compared to how he is actually producing.
11/14/2017 3:55 PM
Only platooning him so I guess it doesn't really count but

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=8615396

has been an absoloute stud for my St. Louis team.
11/15/2017 7:50 AM
Best hitter you've seen with the worst VRH? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.