Bobby Doerr, oldest MLB player, passes away Topic

Bobby Doerr, 99, Hall of Fame Red Sox Second Baseman, Is Dead

Last surviving player from the 1930s. He figured prominently in a couple of good David Halberstam books, Summer of '49 and The Teammates, the latter about the friendship of Doerr, Ted Williams, Dom Dimaggio and Johnny Pesky.
11/14/2017 4:40 PM
Honestly, I didn't know he was still alive. Thought he passed away 3-4 years ago for some reason.

Met him at a local card show in Tacoma, WA around 2001. He was the nicest person I've ever met at a public signing and he actually has a clean, legible signature!
11/14/2017 5:07 PM
Yeah, he was famous for being a nice guy. From the obit I linked above:

“Doerr was easily the most popular player of the Red Sox and possibly the most popular baseball player of his era,” David Halberstam wrote in “Summer of ’49” (1989), an account of a memorable pennant race between the Red Sox and the Yankees. “He was so modest and his disposition so gentle that his colleagues often described him as ‘sweet.’ He was the kind of man other men might have envied had they not liked him so much.”

11/14/2017 6:10 PM
RIP Bobby... my late father spoke of watching you play at Fenway.
11/15/2017 11:10 AM
Bobby Doerr, oldest MLB player, passes away Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.