Who would you give your MVP vote to?
................AB....R...H.. ..2B. 3B.. .HR ..RBI ..BB.. SO.. .SB.. CS... .AVG.. OBP.. SLG... E.... A.... +... -.... F%
Player A. 662 .141 223 27 .15 .....8 ....91.... 66 ..101 .70 ..26 ....337 .....404 ...459 ..5 ....2 .16 ..0 ...983
Player B .616 .110 184 30 ...8 .....5 .....79 ...70 ....67 107 ..17 ...299 .....373 ...398 ..0 ....3 ...3 ..1 .1.000

Based on the stats I'm voting player A, seems to me pretty logical.
Anybody is more impressed by player B ?

I'm in a league where player B is ahead of player A for MVP with 13 games to play.
Only thing I can think of is that player B has a fielding % of 1.000, apparently the engine voting commity is really impressed by that.
I know it doesn't really matter but really curious about how this works.

EDIT. Uh... sorry can't align the stats properly since spaces get automatically deleted when I post the comment
11/15/2017 2:07 PM (edited)
I believe it does take park effects into account, which could be it. Or maybe the gaudy SB total.
11/15/2017 3:08 PM
player A is in Coors.
player B is in Astrodome.

in that light, I am more impressed by player B.
11/15/2017 3:37 PM
Ok so it's about the ballparks, up until now I had never imagined that this came into the formula. I rarely use Coors but have very often seen guys using Coors kind of sweep the MVP and Silver Slugger awards so I felt ballparks didn't matter.
11/16/2017 9:02 AM
From the Frequently Asked Questions thread that is pinned at the top of this forum:

Qualifications for Awards (MVP, etc):
http://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/KB_Article_Details.aspx?kbid=780
This is another very commonly asked question, not in these forums, but in the league-chats. There is no subjectivity employed by WIS in the selection of award winners. Everything is strictly based on a formula. While they have not published what the formula is, the link above tells us what factors are considered.
There are several common reasons why the player you think should have won an award did not, even if it appears that someone with "lesser" stats did so:
-- For silver slugger, gold glove, and All-Star selections, your player has to have appeared in at least half his games at the specific position (and note that WIS considers LF, CF, and RF as separate positions.) If your guy played multiple positions, he's not going to get selected.
-- If a player was traded between leagues, it's extremely unusual (in fact, I've never seen it) for him to win an award.
-- You're looking at the wrong stats. HR, RBI, AVG, SB, etc do not matter for MVP. No matter how much you think RBIs are valuable, WIS does not consider them at all. The only offensive stat that WIS considers is runs created.
-- Park effect matters for MVP, ROY, Cy Young, and Silver Slugger. WIS considers what park you were playing in. This is why a lesser offensive player from Safeco may win the MVP instead of a player with better stats who was in Coors. And vice-versa for pitchers.
-- Defense matters in MVP voting. WIS considers the player's position and his defensive performance.
-- Playing time matters for most awards. Again, MVP considers runs created, which increases with more playing time. Your guy may look better across the board, but if he only played 140 games, he may lose out to a guy who players 162, even if the latter was not quite as effective.
11/17/2017 7:57 AM
/waves to Contrarian23

Good to see you bud.

Are you just visiting or have you come back to the fold?
11/17/2017 10:17 AM
What a nice lift to SLB it'd be if contrarian23 started posting and playing again....
11/18/2017 5:07 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 11/18/2017 5:07:00 AM (view original):
What a nice lift to SLB it'd be if contrarian23 started posting and playing again....
I could not agree more. Nothing here would be more welcome, and it would be a nice addition to already welcome end of the Fox era here.
11/26/2017 11:05 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.