Did Aaron Judge get screwed? Topic

This post has been reported and is pending review by site staff.
You are blocking the author of this post, sjpoker.

LOL
11/17/2017 7:17 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/17/2017 7:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 11/17/2017 5:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/17/2017 5:18:00 PM (view original):
I rarely agree with dahs, but it's hard to argue one player made all the difference when a team made the playoffs by 10 games.
It's only my opinion. But I certainly think that Altuve got a lot of traction because of his height and his personality.
You might be right - without Judge maybe the Yankees would have been a few games worse at the deadline and considered selling. No way to know that. But since there is no way to know, I think most people just say "would the team have been 11+ games worse with the next option in RF instead of Judge." And I think the answer to that is fairly obviously no...

I think Altuve got a lot of traction because his OPS+ was 164 to Judge's 171 - close with the bat - and he was much better on the basepaths and plays a little bit better defense at a much more premium position. It also didn't hurt that he's been MVP-caliber for 4 years now.
This. Either one would have been a good choice.
11/17/2017 7:19 PM
I rarely agree with dahs, but it's hard to argue one player made all the difference when a team made the playoffs by 10 games.
It's only my opinion. But I certainly think that Altuve got a lot of traction because of his height and his personality.
You might be right - without Judge maybe the Yankees would have been a few games worse at the deadline and considered selling. No way to know that. But since there is no way to know, I think most people just say "would the team have been 11+ games worse with the next option in RF instead of Judge." And I think the answer to that is fairly obviously no...

I think Altuve got a lot of traction because his OPS+ was 164 to Judge's 171 - close with the bat - and he was much better on the basepaths and plays a little bit better defense at a much more premium position. It also didn't hurt that he's been MVP-caliber for 4 years now.
This. Judge wasn’t screwed.
11/17/2017 7:21 PM

This. Judge didn’t get screwed.
11/17/2017 7:26 PM
i don't call the Skanks the Judges

but i do call the Astros the Altuves

NO
11/17/2017 8:55 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 11/17/2017 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 11/17/2017 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sjpoker on 11/17/2017 1:36:00 PM (view original):
Judge was more valuable to the Yankees than Altuve was to Houston. Therefore Judge should have been MVP.
Uh no, that’s not how it works. It’s not the Yankees MVP. This is the American League MVP. Who was the American League’s Most Valuable Player. Altuve. He’s a better hitter, better fielder, and a better runner than Judge.
I other words, you agree with BL.

The MVP should be the most valuable player to his team. And like I said, if Judge isn't in NY they aren't in the playoffs.
Ight, let’s go with that logic anyways. The Yankees went 91-71, but b-r’s Pythagorean W-L says they shoulda finished 100-62. Part of the reason is because they went 18-36 in 1-run games. So they underperformed by 9 wins. Meanwhile the Astros went 101-61 and the b-r Pythagorean says they shoulda gone 99-63. So they over performed by 2 wins.

You up can point to Judge for why the Yankees underperformed and you can point to Altuve why the Astros overperformed.

With runners in scoring position, Judge hit .262, 22 points less than his overall average.
Judge hit slightly better with the bases empty than with runners on base, his OPS being 90 points higher with the bases empty.
Altuve’s OPS was 1 point higher with men on base than with the bases empty.
In the late innings of close games (100 plate appearances), Judge hit .216 with a .780 OPS. But when the Yankees were 4 or more runs ahead or 4 or more runs behind (112 plate appearances), he hit .382 with an OPS of 1.500.
In the late innings of close games, Jose Altuve hit .441 with a 1.190 OPS. When the Astros were 4 or more runs ahead or 4 or more runs behind, Altuve hit .313 with a .942 OPS.
In high leverage situations, according to b-r, Judge hit .219 with an .861 OPS. In medium leverage situations he improved to .297 with a 1.058 OPS, and in low leverage situations he hit .299 with a 1.115 OPS. Altuve hit .337-.377-.329 in those three situations.
So there isn’t any doubt that Judge was in fact more than proportionally responsible for the Yankees’ underperformance in close games.

edit: not to mention, Altuve nearly batted .500 for a month while the Stros were missing Correa, Springer, Gurriel, Keuchel, and McCullers, who were all on the DL around that time. Heck, they even called up Colin Moran to help during the injuries, and he got hit in the face on his first game.
11/17/2017 11:06 PM (edited)
Posted by sjpoker on 11/17/2017 11:28:00 PM (view original):
No matter what the statistical analysis, I stand by my opinion that Judge was the most valuable player.
Even though he was the reason the Yankees underperformed. Okay. “Wouldn’t have made the playoffs without him”. Even though the average hitter would have produced more runs in close games. Okay

Jason Heyward: Yankees edition

plays good Right Field defense. Runs decent. Chokes in the clutch
11/18/2017 12:26 AM (edited)
Also Mike, this is where you want your best hitter taking a borderline pitch 3-2 tying run on 3rd two outs. Cuz u know damn well he ain’t getting a hit.
11/18/2017 12:27 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 11/18/2017 12:27:00 AM (view original):
Also Mike, this is where you want your best hitter taking a borderline pitch 3-2 tying run on 3rd two outs. Cuz u know damn well he ain’t getting a hit.
Are you BL's dumber little bro?

You don't take borderline pitches in that situation, unless you're a big fan of called strike threes to end innings.

11/18/2017 7:57 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/18/2017 7:57:00 AM (view original):

You don't take borderline pitches in that situation, unless you're a big fan of called strike threes to end innings.

Tec not understanding the point. Shocker.
11/18/2017 11:13 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/18/2017 7:57:00 AM (view original):

Speaking of a lack of self-awareness, do you not realize why people think you're Mike's lackey? Every time someone addresses a post to him, it's you who immediately jumps up to respond. If anyone in here is someone's "little bro", it's you, Grover.
11/18/2017 11:19 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/18/2017 1:04:00 PM (view original):
Here's the thing:

1) I'm not Mike's "lackey". I think we just share many (though not all) of the same beliefs.

2) If somebody says something stupid, even if it's specifically addressed to somebody else, I'm going to respond. It's a public forum.

3) I don't need validation from random internet people to establish of maintain my self-esteem.
2) But if it’s mike saying something stupid, you back him up.

11/18/2017 1:42 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...18 Next ▸
Did Aaron Judge get screwed? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.