Amateur Draft Settings - for balanced results Topic

Yes I want the best players available, but I also kinda need to populate a Rookie ball team.
So I'm asking if anyone has any advanced insight into how the sim does this.

I've tried various settings but every single draft I either end up too position player heavy or too pitcher heavy.

Yes, I know some owners advise setting to as many "Any" players as possible. The one time I tried that I got 20 pitchers.

Most recent draft:
Settings: 1 C - 1 1B - 3 2B - 0 3B - 3 SS - 1 LF - 1 CF - 1 RF - 0 DH - 7 SP - 4 RP - 3 Any
Results: 3 C - 2 1B - 0 2B - 0 3B - 4 SS - 1 LF - 2 CF - 1 RF - 0 DH - 8 SP - 5 RP
Not too bad, right? Except the first six picks were pitchers, and the position counts were made up by switching player positions once they got drafted. Four of those position players were DHs when they were prospects.

I did have a handful of leftover scrubs on my Rookie roster before the draft. Does the sim take them into account when drafting for position requirements?

I know the "Threshold" setting might have something to do with this - I leave it at zero - but I can't see how it might stop that six pitchers in a row problem.

Or is it just dumb luck that the other guys are drafting hitters and every time my turn comes up there's a pitcher sitting there?

11/21/2017 3:47 PM
I always end up with 11 pitchers and 29 hitters or whatever. I usually need Tryout camp guys to populate my rookie league ball team. Considering all my best prospects go into Low A minimum to get them the most at bats/inning possible, the rookie league is a massive afterthought for me.
11/21/2017 5:30 PM
I usually set my draft settings as follows:

C - 2
1B - 1
2B - 2
3B - 2
SS - 4
LF - 1
CF - 2
RF - 1
SP - 7
RP - 3

That gives me a good mix. I can backfill the rest of the roster spots from Tryout Camp just to get more warm bodies.
11/22/2017 2:52 PM
This is a good question. Since I usually draft 7 DH, my next draft I was going to put a few position players I need and atleast 5 or 7 starting pitchers and leaving the rest 0. Not sure if this will work. I am wondering if this will interfere with my top 50 list that I work in for draft. I would prefer they take the needed players after my top 50 are gone.
11/22/2017 3:17 PM
Amateur Draft Settings - for balanced results Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.