Really interesting experiment by Harriswb3 in Wilk Topic

Harriswb3 has his team, West Virginia State College, running an ALL running WB. Note I said ALL, that is 100 % running. He "has" no qb and no te's. Guess he's using the spots to develop young rb's .
Combine that with a good D and he beat my respectable Stonehill team after we had nice lead. Quality of his talent I don't believe is on par with the NC contenders there. But he can get there. And when he does I am very curious if it is possible to win an NC like that. Or even make it to final 4 ?
I give Harriswb3 Plenty of Kudos for his experiment . Additionaly , I think it is very Brave. It has the potential to succeed or to fall flat on it's face . He's got me curious !
11/21/2017 9:12 PM
I agree with you mojo. It is brave and it is one helluva an experiment. Think about it. He has OL playing TE......he never passes. He has no QB, on the roster.

That is committed to the running game. I am impressed. Plus, he beat you!
11/21/2017 9:36 PM
Additional info about Harris's team: Also carrying NO WR. But what I realized after checking his team(and I find this part fascinating, and again congrats Harris for what this means), The TE, QB and WR positions are automatically filled in by RB's and the TE by an OL by the AI and thus his young RB's get credit for starts and their WE and attributes grow quickly from the Get Go ! !!!
I love when someone finds a way to exploit the system. Not so sure I would have went with no QB, but the rest I love. Oh he also has no kicker. And here I strongly disagree. My own teams I use only a punter for double duty. But on a team depending only on running there may be multiple games decided by a fg and I would want the best chance I could to make it. So this is my suggestion to you Harris: add a K and think about a QB. Or continue what you are doing since you beat my team and ignore me completely. Whatever you do I am instantly a fan of your team(except vs my own you understand :)
11/21/2017 11:33 PM (edited)
This is awesome!

You rock, Bill!
11/21/2017 10:00 PM
I see he has been all run for a few seasons now. Did you think he was going to morph into a passing attack this game mojo ?
11/21/2017 10:46 PM
Posted by realist9900 on 11/21/2017 10:46:00 PM (view original):
I see he has been all run for a few seasons now. Did you think he was going to morph into a passing attack this game mojo ?
Heh. No, I just am guilty of not scouting his team and assuming it was like every other team a combination of passing and running.
11/21/2017 11:27 PM
I was in his conference when he got there and am really pleased to see his success.
One bad thing is (I guess) that you can't control who ends up playing the qb and wr slot if you don't have any players for it. Have to roll with it I suppose.
11/22/2017 7:01 AM
Posted by hypnotoad on 11/22/2017 7:01:00 AM (view original):
I was in his conference when he got there and am really pleased to see his success.
One bad thing is (I guess) that you can't control who ends up playing the qb and wr slot if you don't have any players for it. Have to roll with it I suppose.
True, but they have no effect on the play. He doesn't pass, ever...
11/22/2017 8:47 AM
Well, I guess my little secret is out. :) Even though I did NOT get Mojo's best effort...I'm gonna claim victory!!! I lost to his predecessor last season by only 1 point in a "shootout" (31-30 or something like that), so I'm calling this a "signature win". LOL. Hell, I might just retire now. :)

A few things to Mr Mojo: Yes, I agree with your suggestions. I have considered the QB and K items and have chosen to to the route I have on purpose. This team is my "big" class and is the best I've been able to field thus far, under this particular approach. Depending on how this season turns out (plus a similar team in Bryan but far less talented) I'll make decisions about adjustments.

A few other items of note:

1. GUESS has my team rated A+ for passing and F for rushing. I'm sure its because I "broke" Bobs equations with this unusual approach.
2. You CAN control who plays QB, WR, and TE. But I'm not telling.
3. I have lost plenty of games in the last few seasons by less than 3 points. Not because I missed FGs, but, at least partially, because I had my settings to only go for short FGs. So, in case I missed, I would not give my opponent good field position. This called "no confidence in the kicker" (punter in my case). I have adjusted that this season to see how he performs.
4. This NOT for the faint of heart.
11/22/2017 9:06 AM
I look forward to the white paper on this topic!
11/22/2017 9:35 AM
Wouldn't be hard to figure how to control who plays QB,TE and WR. Just take some experimenting with the depth charts to see which position in the charts fills which position on the field.
11/22/2017 2:19 PM
Posted by mojolad on 11/22/2017 2:19:00 PM (view original):
Wouldn't be hard to figure how to control who plays QB,TE and WR. Just take some experimenting with the depth charts to see which position in the charts fills which position on the field.
True, but wouldn't you have to "commit" to zero QB's, etc. in order to make it happen....
11/22/2017 5:56 PM
I'm just saying how to find which guys start where if you followed what Harris is doing. Or you could keep a qb and find out who starts as the WR..
I find what he's doing fascinating but I will stick with what I know.
11/22/2017 11:24 PM
I'm trying to stimulate others in to runnin the Shotgun with no QB, WR or TE. THAT would be fascinating. :)
11/23/2017 11:05 AM
I have considered running from the Shotgun with no QB, but WR's with RB qualities, A version of the Flexbone!!
11/23/2017 12:57 PM
12 Next ▸
Really interesting experiment by Harriswb3 in Wilk Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.