Any of you coaches out there competing or NCs, who run the 3-4 wanna help a fellow out? I've been running 3-4 for a long time, but I have become quite "stagnant" in my thinking about how to run it. My WV State team in Wilkinson is my best (and really the only one I care about). So its a good one to look at, as far as personnel.

Perhaps even the 4-4 and 4-3 guys have some approaches that would be applicable regardless of defensive formation. I'd really like to get some new thinking into my philosophy....so please send me sitemail and lets chat.
11/22/2017 9:53 AM
In an attempt to create situations to defend different formations and play calls I use 5 defensive alignments. To defend the pass I use either 3 down Linemen and 4 LB's in cover, or move one LB to the line. In situations facing a team that runs a balanced attack I may move 2 or 3 LB's to the line. In run situations I will move 3 or 4 LB's up to the line to stuff the run. My LB alignment will change depending on the situation as well. I use the "blitz" sparingly, however I have experimented against sims with limited success. I recruit LB's with speed and tackling as premium qualities because they are the backbone of my defense and I rely heavily on them on pass coverage. My approach is far less technical than most because I do all my planning, ie. gameplanning, recruit plan, etc. with a paper and pen. The main reason I chose the 34 many seasons ago was its versatility and the fact that LB' are far more abundant and cheaper to recruit than any other defender.

Feel free to sitemail me to further discuss 34 defense alignment!!
11/22/2017 11:04 AM
To simplify I identify my defensive alignments using two digits. The first # representing defensive players on the line and the second # representing defenders in cover. For example my 38 defense has 3 linemen on the line and all LB's and DB's in "cover". My five alignments are 38, 47, 56, 65 and 74.
11/22/2017 11:15 AM
Harris , I enjoy helping others. But I would be cutting my own throat to help the team that just beat mine .
11/22/2017 12:42 PM
cmon mojo, I need the "help" myself.
11/22/2017 1:01 PM
mojo...I was going to ask you directly...then i figured that might "sting" a little. LOL
11/22/2017 4:29 PM
Iam , doesn't even use the 3-4.
11/23/2017 10:58 AM
I run the 3-4, but I have just came back to the game from close to a 2 year hiatus. My defense runs pretty similar to that which albright73 spoke of, adjusting LB's to match against tendencies of my opponent.
11/23/2017 11:45 AM
Posted by mojolad on 11/23/2017 10:58:00 AM (view original):
Iam , doesn't even use the 3-4.
After todays game you can tell I don't use the 3-4 or any other defense.
11/23/2017 11:17 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.