Curt Schilling HOF Topic

@theaceofspaeder has been tweeting about Schillings qualifications of the HOF.

Here are a few:

Career ERA+:

Curt Schilling - 127
Tom Seaver* - 127
Bob Gibson* - 127
Jim Palmer* - 125
Lefty Gomez* - 125
John Smoltz* - 125
Juan Marichal* - 123
Bob Feller* - 122
Don Drysdale* - 121
Warren Spahn* - 119
Tom Glavine* - 118
Steve Carlton* - 115
Nolan Ryan* - 112

*Hall of Famer

Career WHIP:

Curt Schilling - 1.137
Greg Maddux* - 1.143
Randy Johnson* - 1.171
John Smoltz* - 1.176
Jim Palmer* - 1.180
Bob Gibson* - 1.188
Warren Spahn* - 1.195
Nolan Ryan* - 1.247
Steve Carlton* - 1.247
Tom Glavine* - 1.134
Bob Feller* - 1.316

*Hall of Famer

Curt Schilling averaged 4.949 WAR per 200 innings pitched. This would rank fifth among all Hall of Fame pitchers, behind only Pedro Martinez, Lefty Grove, Walter Johnson, and Randy Johnson.

Curt Schilling made three career postseason starts with his team able to clinch. He had a 1.16 ERA and his teams won all three games.

Pitchers with at least 3,000 strikeouts and more strikeouts than hits allowed:

Nolan Ryan**
Randy Johnson**
Roger Clemens*
Pedro Martinez**
Curt Schilling
John Smoltz**

*Seven-time Cy Young Award Winner
**Hall of Famer

Pretty compelling when his postseason stuff is added in. The fact that he's a complete scumbag aside, would any of you vote for him? Based on his performance?
11/28/2017 7:37 AM
No
11/28/2017 7:41 AM
From the BBWAA'S "Election Rules" page:

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

It's fair to say that Schilling fails on "character". So, no.
11/28/2017 7:53 AM
Yes
11/28/2017 8:12 AM
Fails how?
11/28/2017 8:39 AM
He's a raging douchebag of a human being.
11/28/2017 9:12 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/28/2017 7:53:00 AM (view original):

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

I can't remember - do you support Clemens and Bonds being in? Rose?

I find it funny that, in general, some people will use the character clause to exclude guys they don't like, while ignore the weak character of others they want in. Joe Morgan is a perfect example of this.

Looking just at his stats and career achievements, Schilling is a HOFer.
11/28/2017 9:24 AM
100% YES on big game Curt. The bloody sock game will be discussed for decades.
11/28/2017 9:38 AM
Only Red Sux fans, or Yankee haters, think Schilling is HOF material.
11/28/2017 9:40 AM
I’m neither and I hate schilling.

He belongs easily.
11/28/2017 9:44 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/28/2017 9:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/28/2017 7:53:00 AM (view original):

I can't remember - do you support Clemens and Bonds being in? Rose?

I find it funny that, in general, some people will use the character clause to exclude guys they don't like, while ignore the weak character of others they want in. Joe Morgan is a perfect example of this.

Looking just at his stats and career achievements, Schilling is a HOFer.
No on both Clemens and Bonds. They cheated.

Rose has been an enigma for me. Everytime I feel like "OK, he's done his time, it's time to let him in", something new comes up that puts him on my "out" list. That's where he is now. And I think that's where he stays.
11/28/2017 9:45 AM
Yes on Bonds
Yes on Clemens
Yes on Rose
Yes on Schilling

It is the Hall of Fame and all of them have a lot of Fame and were excellent baseball players. Bonds and Clemens DID "cheat" but it was the cheat era and many cheated and didn't do nearly as well as Bonds and Clemens. Rose bet on baseball, which is bad but he bet on his own team. Gambling is an addiction. Are we keeping alcoholics out too? Schilling was just a beast and especially in the post season. His numbers are outstanding and the naked eye test tells you that he was a dominant pitcher of his era. In terms of character other than being overly religious I am not sure what he did wrong?
11/28/2017 9:51 AM
Exactly. I can at least understand using the character clause against guys who did something against baseball. I think Clemens, Bonds and Rose should all be in, but I can at understand that they did something against the game itself. Keeping a guy out simply because you don't like his morals or beliefs is just weak. There's no reason to keep Schilling out unless it's political.
11/28/2017 9:57 AM
He belongs just because bad_luck hates him. Of course bad_luck hates him as he is a leftist fool.
11/28/2017 10:00 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/28/2017 9:12:00 AM (view original):
He's a raging douchebag of a human being.
Ohhhhh....it must be true.
11/28/2017 10:05 AM
1|2|3...24 Next ▸
Curt Schilling HOF Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.