Curt Schilling HOF Topic

Posted by cccp1014 on 11/30/2017 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Were there not two major tax cuts under Reagan? Any tax cuts under BHO?
Tax cuts are certainly stimulative. There were small tax cuts under Obama.
11/30/2017 11:37 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/30/2017 11:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 11/30/2017 9:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/30/2017 12:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 11/29/2017 11:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 11/29/2017 10:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 11/29/2017 10:43:00 PM (view original):
Oh man, Obama and the economy doing well. Good laugh
You said the only thing that matters to you is the stock market...did the market go up over 300 percent under Obama or not?
Well alright, I guess I just misspoke.

You got me there.

Point is that how the economy is doing is most important to me. The economy stalled under Obama, its booming under Trump.
Just a heads up, this is technically still Obama’s economy.
The economy can't sit stagnant for 8 years under a president and when it turns around under a new admin it still be his economy. If we had steady progression under Obama then you could still count this as his economy. The economy is getting better mainly because of deregulation that was crippling business. It took a turn for the better when he left office and Trump immediately started rolling back the regulations. Obama had the worst post-recession recovery in our countries history. Dems also want to say "look at the mess that Obama took over." They can't use that argument because Reagan took over an even worse mess and had a MUCH better recovery.
It didn’t sit stagnant for 8 years. It’s been progressing the entire time. Reagan spent at a much higher rate than Obama, helping growth.
But it didn't. GDP was consistently low, wages remained consistently low, and the number of people on social welfare programs were on the increase. Numbers don't lie. Compare Obama's recovery to any post-recession recovery in US history and your tune will change about Obama's economy.

As far as spending, our national debt almost tripled under Obama. Where did all that money go?
11/30/2017 11:42 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/30/2017 11:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by cccp1014 on 11/30/2017 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Were there not two major tax cuts under Reagan? Any tax cuts under BHO?
Tax cuts are certainly stimulative. There were small tax cuts under Obama.
There were? Sans the extension of the Bush tax cuts I don't recall but perhaps you are correct?
11/30/2017 11:45 AM
Posted by strikeout26 on 11/30/2017 11:42:00 AM (view original):
You said the only thing that matters to you is the stock market...did the market go up over 300 percent under Obama or not?

You got me there.

Point is that how the economy is doing is most important to me. The economy stalled under Obama, its booming under Trump.
The economy can't sit stagnant for 8 years under a president and when it turns around under a new admin it still be his economy. If we had steady progression under Obama then you could still count this as his economy. The economy is getting better mainly because of deregulation that was crippling business. It took a turn for the better when he left office and Trump immediately started rolling back the regulations. Obama had the worst post-recession recovery in our countries history. Dems also want to say "look at the mess that Obama took over." They can't use that argument because Reagan took over an even worse mess and had a MUCH better recovery.
It didn’t sit stagnant for 8 years. It’s been progressing the entire time. Reagan spent at a much higher rate than Obama, helping growth.
But it didn't. GDP was consistently low, wages remained consistently low, and the number of people on social welfare programs were on the increase. Numbers don't lie. Compare Obama's recovery to any post-recession recovery in US history and your tune will change about Obama's economy.

As far as spending, our national debt almost tripled under Obama. Where did all that money go?
  • I give BHO a mulligan on the debt as the economy was in shambles when he took over thanks to Bush. Thank you, George.
  • What I didn't like was him ignoring the entitlements. In 1945 I believe there were 30 workers for every retired person. By 2030 that # will be 2:1 it was a big elephant in the room and instead of attacking it he spent all his energy and political capital on the ACA. We see now how that is working out.
  • The other mistake was exiting Iraq the way he did and allowing ISIS to form. We are still dealing with that mess.
  • The Left complains about Russia but it was under the watch of BHO that Putin gained the power he did and he took Crimea without much resistance.
  • If the Left like bad_luck wants to give BHO credit for the stock market then he should also be blamed for what is happening in N. Korea. He allowed that regime to get out of control.
  • The Left further blames DJT for the escalated racial tensions but to be fair under BHO the tensions grew as BLM formed on his watch. I am still wondering what the looters were protesting in Baltimore? African American all: City Coun; Police Chief; Mayor; Attorney General and President.
11/30/2017 12:06 PM (edited)
Posted by strikeout26 on 11/30/2017 11:42:00 AM (view original):

You got me there.

Obama saw stretches of GDP growth similar to what we're seeing now.

See:

Regarding the debt, when Reagan took office, the national debt was just under a trillion dollars. When he left, it was just under $3 trillion.

He also tripled the debt.

Realistically, that was a good thing. We needed a ton of spending to get out of the recession. Same with Obama.

From the Week, citing Economic Policy Institute's Josh Bevins:

Over the 24 months that followed the start of Reagan's recovery, government spending per person — combining federal, state, and local levels — grew almost 15 percent. But 18 months after the Great Recession, per person government spending had declined 7 percent. Twenty-four months in, it was still 3.6 percent lower than at the start of the recovery.

Had government spending during Obama's tenure behaved the same way it did during Reagan's, government spending would currently be roughly one trillion dollars higher than it is. With that amount of extra money, "you're way beyond what I think anybody says the remaining output gap is in the economy," Bivens told The Week. By his calculations, the output gap would probably have closed completely sometime in 2013.

11/30/2017 12:07 PM
We've gone from Curt Schilling to white supremacy to the US economy. I'm interested to see what comes next. Climate change? the slave trade? Dutch colonialism?
11/30/2017 12:11 PM
To be fair and correct me if I am wrong but did Reagan not spend a ton on the military and eventually ended up bankrupting and ultimately causing the collapse of the Soviet Union?
11/30/2017 12:11 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 11/30/2017 12:11:00 PM (view original):
We've gone from Curt Schilling to white supremacy to the US economy. I'm interested to see what comes next. Climate change? the slave trade? Dutch colonialism?
We can discuss the Blue Jays and whether or not they will be last or 2nd to last in the division in 2018. What are your thoughts on the matter?
11/30/2017 12:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/30/2017 9:03:00 AM (view original):
Anyone who thinks, even for second, that jtpops is not a raging moron is dumber than allowed. Which is, of course, why wylie has been blocked for about a year and a half. Being disagreeable isn't block-worthy(haven't blocked long-winded dahs or BL or any of their sycophants).. You have to be really stupid to reach that level. A scattered few have.
that's nice, *******, but I've never voiced a theory on whether jtspop (or whatever his name is) is a raging moron or not. All I said was that you and BL agreeing on something would make me think it was probably wrong. Maybe you are on BL's level of stupidity. Congratulations!
11/30/2017 12:17 PM
Posted by cccp1014 on 11/30/2017 12:12:00 PM (view original):
We can discuss the Blue Jays and whether or not they will be last or 2nd to last in the division in 2018. What are your thoughts on the matter?
I hope last. I can't stand the Jays.
11/30/2017 12:18 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 11/30/2017 12:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/30/2017 9:03:00 AM (view original):
Anyone who thinks, even for second, that jtpops is not a raging moron is dumber than allowed. Which is, of course, why wylie has been blocked for about a year and a half. Being disagreeable isn't block-worthy(haven't blocked long-winded dahs or BL or any of their sycophants).. You have to be really stupid to reach that level. A scattered few have.
that's nice, *******, but I've never voiced a theory on whether jtspop (or whatever his name is) is a raging moron or not. All I said was that you and BL agreeing on something would make me think it was probably wrong. Maybe you are on BL's level of stupidity. Congratulations!
Wow since when are you and Mike in a feud?
11/30/2017 12:21 PM
I'm pretty sure jtp is an Orioles fan.
11/30/2017 12:22 PM
Don't spoil his fun
11/30/2017 12:24 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/30/2017 12:22:00 PM (view original):
I'm pretty sure jtp is an Orioles fan.
Balt; Toronto; TB...same difference. Playing for 3 - 5 slots.

11/30/2017 12:25 PM
That's what people said each of the past 6 years. O's, Rays and Jays combined for 7 playoff spots in that time. And Boston had 3 last place finishes.
11/30/2017 12:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24 Next ▸
Curt Schilling HOF Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.